squid jig help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kadin32815 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: squid jig help
    Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 11:06am
kadin32815 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey every1 well i was just wondering how to use a squid jig i was at the pontoon at marsden point and we saw heaps of squid so i brought a cheap 8 buk squid jig and went out yesterday just on night fall i chucked it out and you could see the smaller ones going for it but they went getting hooked what am i doing wrong and what is the best way to rig them up and line weight thanx heaps 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aji_tsuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 1:05am
aji_tsuri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi!

Have to say I haven't caught any, but I'm hoping to get out after them soon, I hadn't realised they were around now. 

Anyway here is my 2c (though hopefully somebody more informed will give advice).  There are a few techniqes i think with the retrival.  One technique is you let it sink all the way to the bottom, give it a "yank" and wind in the slack and let to drop again, wait a second or two and then repeat (can vary the yank, e.g 2-3 short sharp jerks).  I think then basically another is the same but you do it higher up in the water column.

If you can watch this fishing program (online) it might help:

Advice I received from my Japanese brother-inlaw was that you can actually cut most of the prongs off the bottom half of the lure so that when it rests on the bottom it doesn't snag, you can also trim the feathers to adjust how it swims - haven't seen or heard either of these confirmed and he hasn't caught squid for about 20 years.  When he did they were hand crafted japanese ones costing about $15, wereas now in Japan you can buy ones for about a dollar or two.

There is also a type of hook you can use for squid that has the same multi pronged bit at the back as the lure but instead of a shrimp body it just has a needle that can be threaded through bait and then fished below a float.  This is the hook:

One other technique in Japan (this one is some what hard to explain and streches the imagination and I have only ever seen the gear in fishing tackle shops in Japan) is to use a live bait (usually yellow tail) hooked with a small hook through the nose, chuck it in the water off a wharf and wait for a squid to grab the unfortunate bait (I imagine this is not pleasant).  Then you hook a special wire device onto your line (it about 50 cm long, has two eyes, one at the start and one about half way down that you twist the line on to (they are like a short piece of spring), then the bottom half of the wire has sets of prongs) and slide it down your line and then you "just" wind the whole lot in and it snags the squid. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ocka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:07am
ocka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are you in the Auckland area or up north? If in the Auckland area go to Norcross in Henderson and get some squid jags, they are just a stainless needle arrangement with the squid jag on the bottom, you spear a fillet of any sort of fish ( preferabally an 'oily' one) unto it, wrap it in bait cotton and suspend it about a meter under a float. Gaurantee it will outfish most 'squid jigs' 6 to 1. 
I'm the reason they call it FISHING--- Not CATCHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:32am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, seem to work best if you bait themThumbs Up.

Y a m a s h i t a  (avoiding swearword detector as this is a Japanese brand) squid jigs are good and there's another brand very similar but cheaper.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mickylb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 11:18am
mickylb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You can try a slow retrieve,jerking the jig as you retrieve,Or one or two winds on the reel stop, and a twitch or two or three of the jig.Pays to fish at different depths to find where the squid are holding,If those little squid only follow your jig its probably to big for them,
Try  a 1.5.
Rubbing some fish, (pilchard works well) on your jig can help get a hook up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 12:26pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

point too remember once out of the water squid often squit out there ink now this can go a long way so watch out ,
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 12:29pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you learn that from experience Bas?LOL
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kadin32815 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:19pm
kadin32815 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cool thanx for all the help guys when out the other night but still no luck you could see a few of the smaller ones swimming around 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ManBearPig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 4:48pm
ManBearPig View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by one leg one leg wrote:

point too remember once out of the water squid often squit out there ink now this can go a long way so watch out ,

Or just aim it at other fishos Wink

well thats what my cousin did anywaysDead