Aquaculture issues

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aquaculture issues
    Posted: 19 Nov 2002 at 8:53am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Viaduct Basin Wednesday December 4th, 10am.

Aquaculture roadshow are where those who want marine farms are going to try and pull the wool over our eyes yet again. The roadshow meeting in Whangarei was invite only and was well stacked with "their" supporters. The fact that there is only 2 meetings north of Hamilton shows just how many concerend parties they really wish to talk to.

Other meeting dates below:

Northland (Whangarei)�����19 Nov 02 - Tuesday�����Council Chamber�����9am

Marlborough, Nelson & Tasman RC�s (Blenheim)�����22 Nov 02 - Friday�����Council chambers�����10am

Canterbury and West Coast (Christchurch)�����26 Nov 02 - Tuesday�����University Hall�����9.30am

Auckland�����4 Dec 02 -Wednes�����Viaduct Basin�����10am

Waikato and Taranaki RC (Hamilton)�����5th Dec 02 - Thursday�����Council chambers�����9am

Bay of Plenty (Whakatane)�����6th Dec 02 - Friday�����Council chambers 9am

Wellington & Horizons RC (Wellington)�����9th Dec 02 - Monday�����Council chambers�����10am

Gisborne & Hawkes Bay RC (Gisborne)�����12th Dec 02 - Thursday�����Council chambers Data projector�����10am

Otago (Dunedin)�����17th Dec 02 - Tuesday�����Council chambers�����10am

Southland (Invercargill)�����18 Dec 02 - Wednes�����Council chambers�����10am
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2002 at 10:04am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, actually there are a few meetings coming up in Northland (am awaiting confirmation of venues and times and places) where those contracted to reserach where we dive and fish will be asking that question of the public. Watch this space.

I have spoken to one guy who's job it is to research this, and we are in the process of arranging an e-mail and snail-mail mailout of maps for divers to mark the places they use in Northland.  This will happen when we have it set up correctly.  We are also contacting all dive clubs in the North, and dive shops. This should ensure a thorough collection of data so they know where divers go and where AMA would be inappropriate.

My submission to NRC is in progress.  It concerns me a bit that there is no process for creating new AMA in the future except on plan reviews, because if they do what they did in Auckland, basically only harbour areas where they already have farms will be included.  What about new offshore locations or coastal locations which may cause less disruption and be necessary for other species?  Seems poorly thought out to me and could threaten a potentially worthwhile industry.  Also the question of whether or not they shoudl charge - give us a break, everyone else pays seabed licence fees, so these commercial interest shoudl too.

The compensation to commercial fishers issue is a red herring, it comes from the Fisheries Act 1983, and not the new AMA change to the RMA.

ARC's process looks to be one of simply zoning existing areas for AMA with staged expansion of these areas. Will check when I get better copies of the maps.

Have your say.

Reidfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trevally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2002 at 9:03am
trevally View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The aquaculture roadshow planned for auckland has been postponed till early in the new year. Will let you know exact date when it is avail.

Hopefully it wont be when everyone is still away on hols.

cheers
trevally