Places to fish in Tauranga Harbour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Loral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Places to fish in Tauranga Harbour
    Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:53pm
Loral View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If anyone could help me out. I am looking for places to fish at this time of year in the harbour.If anyone could just give a general direction or place to start or even some gps co-ordinates to start with that would be great. We are just starting out and everyone keeps telling us that the harbour is full of fish but we cant seem to find them and it would help if we have a direction. We usually launch the boat from sulfer point so anywhere from there would be great. if anyone could help please that would be awsome. ThanksSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:18am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Loral, give me a buzz on 576 3879  ( mornings). 
cheers,
Bill
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 1:19am
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Loral, if you keen on a night session I can take you to a spot you will enjoy! Catching fish in 18 inches of water, but needs to be incoming tide. PM me if you keen, back in country in a couple of days for a month.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:19am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have a look at an aerial photo of the harbour, find the places where the channels open out to shallow flats and fish onto the flat on an incomming or into the edge of the channel on the outgoing.  Avoid heavy traffic areas as well.  Running rigs with sturdy baits...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junketer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:50am
junketer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey i'm after the same info, 1st time boatie & sill havent managed to get out in the harbour but am going 2morrow - have no idea where yet so i guess it'll be a bit of a stab in the dark? lol

i think i'll give uncle a call! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Loral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:52am
Loral View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yip same as us, Let me know if uncle is any help, may give him a call aswell as we are planning to go out on sunday. And let us know how 2mmrow goes for ya

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:55pm
1more View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Try a running rig near the edge of a channel. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junketer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:37pm
junketer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Loral Loral wrote:

Yip same as us, Let me know if uncle is any help, may give him a call aswell as we are planning to go out on sunday. And let us know how 2mmrow goes for ya

Uncle was very helpful as usual, a wealth of knowledge!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junketer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 1:11pm
junketer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey loral i went out this morning & it turned out to be utter crap, probably largely due to it being my first time in the harbour & not having a clue!!!Ermm i headed out from sulpher point 6.30am but after some nice windless calm mornings the last few days the wind had picked up & the harbour was fairly choppy with plenty of white caps but we persevered anyway. went over near 1 of the marker bouys in the western channel almost staright out from fergusson park in about 11m of water - heaps of fish showing on the sounder but not 1 single bite so after a while we shifted close in to rangiwaea island in about 8m of water & same again, plenty of fish showing but no bites!Unhappy we were fishing 1 running rig & 1 ledger rig. really disappointing but at least we got out there i spose & got some experience under the belt.
(& when i got home i found out my brother went out with his mate off pahoia yesterday & came home with so much fish he had to give most of it away! they launch a 12' tinny at pahoia & seem to always catch something either there or out from te puna around motuhoa island)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 1:35pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

first question Junketer, did you have any berley going?
I bet your bro didLOL

23 kts wsw does tend to whip up a few whitecaps & the area/s you fished were well exposed to the west.
Outgoing tide with that wind would indicate a change of venue for me~~~I'd have tried the eastern side of Sulphur Point for a bit of shelter.
At the end of the container wharf there is an area you can fish on the ebb. Tie up to the ladder, deploy your berley ( deep) & get into 'em Big smile

keep on tying.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junketer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 2:22pm
junketer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

first question Junketer, did you have any berley going?
I bet your bro didLOL

23 kts wsw does tend to whip up a few whitecaps & the area/s you fished were well exposed to the west.
Outgoing tide with that wind would indicate a change of venue for me~~~I'd have tried the eastern side of Sulphur Point for a bit of shelter.
At the end of the container wharf there is an area you can fish on the ebb. Tie up to the ladder, deploy your berley ( deep) & get into 'em Big smile

keep on tying.....

yep i sure did have berley (tied to the anchor warp about 1.5m up)  but whether it was working properly or not? i considered going up east side of sulpher point but my mate had had enough - my fine boat-driving skills in the chop managed to get him wet & probably put his back out from all the bouncing & jarring LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shedz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:57am
shedz2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have always found C1 (channel marker) out from Pilot Bay very productive. Fish the  last hour and half of incoming tide. Need to watch out for the Gin palaces that hoon past and seem oblivious to smaller boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roopi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:35pm
Roopi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 5:09pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1. Off Te Puna boat ramp and a bit towards Plumbers Point. 2-4m incoming tide. Snapper, Trevally and kingfish.
2.Plumbers Point, right hand side of channel leading up estuary over the shallow bank. Low-ish tide. Kingfish.
3. Channel between omokoroa point and motuhoa island. Edge of sand bar, snapper.
4. Out from omokoroa golf course in the bay, 1-3m incoming tide, snapper and kahawai.
5. Channel from omokoroa to pahoia, edge of channel, either side, outgoing tide, snapper, trevally, kahawai.
6. Flax point, 3-400m past at end of feeder channels where it starts to spread out, snapper, kahawai, both tides can fish well.
7. Small feeder channel that leads into eastern bay on motuhoa, 1-3m, snapper, incoming tide.
8. Almost anywhere north of pahoia and flax point on incoming tide where feeder channels spread wide over shallows, lots of burley, mussel burley is good, no sinkers, mullet, pillys, squid, their not fussy.
9. After dark is best
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 6:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

That's a pretty comprehensive list kitoBig smile
If it's ok with you, I'd like to drop a copy of that in the Tga fishing reports thread.
There's always people asking where to fish, would be a big help to some.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 6:43pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip, no worries Uncle. Have caught many fish at all of those spots. Getting the tide right is the trick. Time on the water pays dividends.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Horse 3112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:24pm
Horse 3112 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey just wondering if could give me sum advice for fishing up in shallows toward katikati cheers thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wishicouldfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:55am
Wishicouldfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Folks.  out of interest.  i have always wondered whether anyone fishes (be it small boat or land/wading) the harbour up past Memorial Park and further up toward Maungatapu/Turret road area for snapper?  I live near this area and hence, often wonder about whether I should go and chuck out some berley on a high tide and a running rig?  appreciate any thoughts and guidance here!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:49am
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wishicouldfish, the best thing to do would be to do a bit of a search around the area at low tide or kayak over the slightly deeper areas looking for feeding holes fish have dug. If you find fresh holes take a mark or place a stick in the area,go back burley and fish it the last half of an evening tide.Otherwise just get out and do it,you will never know if you don’t have a bait in the water,plus it’s a nice way to spend the evening or dark early morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wishicouldfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:58am
Wishicouldfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Kiwi Koro.  Good advice!