Lake Ferry Kahawai's

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Ferry Kahawai's
    Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 4:30pm
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there,
Any of you guys fished Lake ferry for kahawai on the fly?

We were looking at heading over early Sat morn just not sure what tide, time of day, do we need burley etc,
Have heard that there are usually heaps of kahawai round that area this time of year, and the odd salmon too, 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and if any of you wellington salt flyers are keen to tag along let me know, may have a spare seat.

Cheers,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 7:39pm
Mark R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, the lake outlet- river mouth what ever you want to call it is running high and very dirty today, but still alot of Kahawai around, fish just to the side of where the dirty river water enters the sea, or cast into the river and let the current take your line out and swing into the cleaner water, before you start you retrieve, good fish were being caught, best fishing was the out going tide. Didn't need burley, but might help, but may also attract the barracudas there were a coulpe hanging around. I've attached a link for tide times @ Cape Palliser close to Lake Ferry so will give you a good idea of tide times. Be very careful if you enter the water 1- the beach drops off very fast 2- the rip of the out going tide and some times the incoming is very very strong, you can be standing there one minute then all the sand under you feet has gone the next, gets the heart going.
Flies - they will take almost any thing as long as it has plenty of flash on it, ie my favouite "Nipple Pink Clouser" and super fast long retreive, strip from fist rig of you rod and throw your arm behind you (does that make sence?) hand over hand didn't produce the strikes as well, in saying this it may be all different tomorrow.
If the waves are up a bit keep your leader/tippet short or you will end up with tangles from the washing machine effect, total length 1.5 >2.0m.
Make sure you strip in all the way to the beach often takes are very close in.
Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you know but thought it may help any one else heading there some time, not that I'm any expert.
Hope this helps please let me know if you have any more questins.
Good luck I'm sure you will have a great time. Saturday weather looks good there.
Regards Mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 9:27am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mark,
Awesome info there mate, thanks very much.Tongue
Yeah hopefully will get onto a few, might take some burley just to attract the coutas, good fun on the fly.LOL
Got stacks of flies all tied up but will tie some ultra flashy ones over the next couple nights.
Getting excited, the salt fly has been real slow for us this year, bloody weather.

Cheers,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 5:25pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is great info!!! Many years ago (about 25) when I was head guide for Wharekauhau Bill Shaw took me down to the beach when the Kahawai were running. It remains the best landbased SWF for Kashawai I have experienced. I'll be very keen to hear how you go.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:18am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No worries Clark,
I doubt it will be as good as your experience years ago, but any fish is a good fish, and better than no fish.Wink
Looking forward to it, One more question: Should we be fishing deep, midwater or on the surface?  Got gear for all occasions so I guess trial and error will prevail on the day?Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 5:06pm
Mark R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi

Mid water was fishing best, but keep adjusting your sink time, as the tide went out the Kahawai were chasing bait fish close to the surface. Looking at the tide, I would be planing on getting home late, the fishing should be best about 1 1/2 hours before low tide about 5pm ish, then should fish well for a few hours (fingers crossed) or you could get there really early in the morning like 4.30.>5.00am and fish the out going tide on the change of light, and be home late, don't know how you will get on, my wife takes about a day before she will talk to me again after a trip like that (small price to pay if the fishing is good) Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Good Luck.

Thinking about it you might as well go early, if your anything like me you wont sleep anyway, I'm like a 6 year old on Christmas eve, before a fishing trip.Smile

Regards
Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 8:35pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great info there Mark! Will come in useful when I head over there in a few weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:02am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok guys here is the report,
I missed your last post Mark, which would have helped us.
Turned up around 10am, 2 hours before the high tide, and managed to find a spot in between around 30 other rods.  Got a good burley trail going, and started chucking flies round.  Wasn't until the tide turned that the bait fish started turning up in the trail.  There were stacks of them!
We were fishing away thinking any minute now!
We were fishing just inside the mouth, the water was quite filthy when the tide turned, but there was no defined clean / dirty edge at the mouth either, Id say this would form mid outgoing when the tide is really running.

Bout 2pm after 4 hours of fishing we packed it in and headed for a tributary of the Waiohine, no luck there either, so we gapped it to Wellington for the evening rise on the hutt, that didn't fire either, Mate managed one on a cicada late arvo, which I managed to loose at the net.
So not a great days fishing but a great day out and away from the madness that is the sevens in Wellington.

All up we only saw 3 kahawai landed and 1 red cod.  So it wasn't going off for the other fishermen either, however later in the outgoing tide may have been a different story.  The kahawai landed were good fish, all round the 3-4kg mark at a glance.  Get one of those on an 8wt and you'd know about it!

So a good reccy trip and will be going back in the future, just got to get the tide right and stake a good spot early, it was really packed, and of course because we were flicking the sissy sticks everyone like to stop and have a look, they love standing right behind you aye?

Cheers for all that info Mark, Im sure other Welly salt flyers will benefit greatly, Sorry I dont have something better to report Clark, but thats just fishing aye.

Cheers Guys

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:17am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got stuck into Kahawai on 8wt's with poppers in Evans bay late friday afternoon from the boat, quite small about 2-3lbs but managed a few around 5lbs and would you believe it, one cracker Trevally about 2kgs! Have caught plenty in the harbour on bait, but that's a fly rod first for me, especially on a popper!! If you want some fly rod Kahawai action closer to home, head to Pauatahanui Inlet, rising tide, near full and first hour of outgoing, fish on the Titahi Bay side off the rocky point opposite Mana Marina, and swing a big streamer across the currect deep on a shooting head, or popper if any visible surface activity - genrally good numbers there, also up on the flats in the Inlet itself as soon as the tide starts to run out, they tend to bunch at the channel outflows of the mudflats, can be excellent fun and the fish are usually of a good size bulking up on Yellow Eyed Mullet. Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:19pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wicked, you guys have some good opportunities right there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:20pm
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome stuff Andrew,
Yeah been looking at the inlet recently, I work in P town so its a quick drive after work, will sort the tides out and give it a crack in the not to distant future, also heard rumors of larger fish in that area too, ones with Yellow tails?
Say no more, say no more.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 9:58pm
Mark R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi 1stmate

Sorry to hear the fishing wasn't so good, I do suggest having a look again one day.It does fish well when conditions are right, I was supprised to here the river was still so dirty.I do suggest next time to fish either side of low tide.

Regards
Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 8:33am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mark,
Yeah definitely will be heading back over again soon, the three kahawai we saw landed were good ones, so pretty keen to get stuck into a couple of those.
Thanks again for all the great info, much appreciated.

Cheers, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SvenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 4:29pm
SvenC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi you guys,

Spending a week at Ngawi as from Monday 22. What's the fishing like out there?

Cheers,
Sven
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:46pm
Mark R View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Sven

I haven't SWF at Ngawi but have had a few visits there, lots of great rocky areas, that look very fishy, I would suggest a good burly up. Weather look like it's going to be great.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Regards Mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SvenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 8:18am
SvenC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Mark,

I'll get back with a report!

SvenC
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 8:31am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hardingofwellies hardingofwellies wrote:

Got stuck into Kahawai on 8wt's with poppers in Evans bay late friday afternoon from the boat, quite small about 2-3lbs but managed a few around 5lbs and would you believe it, one cracker Trevally about 2kgs! Have caught plenty in the harbour on bait, but that's a fly rod first for me, especially on a popper!! If you want some fly rod Kahawai action closer to home, head to Pauatahanui Inlet, rising tide, near full and first hour of outgoing, fish on the Titahi Bay side off the rocky point opposite Mana Marina, and swing a big streamer across the currect deep on a shooting head, or popper if any visible surface activity - genrally good numbers there, also up on the flats in the Inlet itself as soon as the tide starts to run out, they tend to bunch at the channel outflows of the mudflats, can be excellent fun and the fish are usually of a good size bulking up on Yellow Eyed Mullet. Andrew

Andrew, keen to hear more about that Trev on a popper...never heard of one hitting a top bait before other than Krill etc... share more mate I'd love to target them up here on poppers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 11:40am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Season's Greetings Clark, was on a small home-tied popper approx 2" long, white colouration with a spray of red underneath and a small Marabou tail - was working it quite slowly on the outskirts of the schooling Kahawai. Neary every Kahawai that came on board was spewing tiny baitfish, presuming very small Pilchards or Anchovies?

On another note, spent a month in Brisbane over xmas and we got into some really interesting species like Saratoga, Watkins Leaping Bonito (screamers!!!), small Tarpon, GT's, Flatties etc. Hads a decent bash at Barra on the fly to no avail and got bitten by a snake for my lure retreival efforts from a dead tree! Pic below is Dan, think he was on the Sage weekend in Turangi last year.

Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 4:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nor sure how I missed this post Andrew... good stuff.. looks like a blast.. I take it from your posting it wasn;t an inland Taipan or anything?