It aint as easy as it looks....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It aint as easy as it looks....
    Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 4:52pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

WinkI have been tying freshwater wets and nymphs for a number of years now, I know I am not the best, but not the worst either, going by what a few of my mates produce, and my flys catch fish, well trout anyway! 

So, a long while ago, I thought I should get into a bit of saltwater fly fishing, picked up a bit of tying gear, but never really got started. I have recently bought my first saltwater fly rod & reel etc, a cheapy of Trademe (still waiting delivery), just in case I don't like it!

ClapI read all of the threads on fly tying, and all of the threads in Saltwater flyflingers, and with a wallet full of money went investigating on the net, Trademe, and a walk around our local Spotlight.  Picked up a bit of gear, and between call ins, and having to drive all over the far north most of the weekend, I decided to give this Saltwater fly tying a go.Clap

Well, I kinda thought because I am using bigger hooks and making bigger flys, that things were going to be easy.....WRONG!!!Confused I have managed top produce a couple of clouser / mushy hybrids, which I will hopefully be able to try next weekend, but they don't look a lot like the pattern that I was supposed to end up with!Embarrassed

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website, that can take me through, step by step, on some of the more popular patterns for N.Z.?
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:04pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You're right... took me ages to make the transition and I'd been tying professionally for years with freshwater stuff. Best bet is the flytying section here and then scour through you tube. You won't generally get exact step by step of a specific pattern but the steps will be similar and oyu'll be fine from there.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 6:01pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Clark, "Perserverence is necessary, to establish perfection", or so I am told!!
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 6:30pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Salt water fish are'nt as fussy as trout so if your fly is not perfect I dont think it will make too much difference, just a bit of pride affected.

True Story
A few years ago when I was running a small charter boat.
I had a sweedish couple onboard that had never been sea fishing before.
I tied up in mussel farm and flicked an unbaited rig out, just the bare hook, to demonstrate how to let line out on overhead reel using thumb to prevent birdnest, in my interest.
Only let a few metres out then wack, hooked up and landed a nice snapper of about 4lb.

The sweeds were most impressed with how easy it is to catch fish in NZ, WOW WEE OOH.
The rest of the session was very slow with only a couple of pannies, that first fish was by far the best.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Renegade Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:20pm
Renegade Fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The biggest challenge I found was getting the proportions right. Clark's right about trolling through You tube and getting video clips for tying. A copy of "Fly Patterns of Umpqua Feather Merchants " by Randall Kauffman is worthwhile - covers both salt and fresh water patterns. "Fly Life" magazine is also really usefull, includes a monthly pattern and instructions by Chris Beech.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1stmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:08am
1stmate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah mate, can be real tricky, I found some real good how to vids on the Itunes website.  Free podcasts you can dowload and watch over and over again.  Really helped me with tying technique and proportions.
Vids are the best if you haven't got anyone close by to show you, You will learn all the little tricks to make your life easier.  My classic example was trying to learn to tie in rubber legs in my trout flies, really struggled till i watched a vid, then made me feel real stupid as the technique is so obviousEmbarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:26am
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup its a bit of a change from freshwater stuff, but the basic skills are the same.
you can download videos by clouser, kreh and popovics form http://www.totalvid.com/Fly-Tying-Videos

they can be viewed for 7 days, or longer if you remove the protections (but Id never condone that type of behaviour ;) )

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swine Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 9:31pm
Swine Hunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm about to start the Saltwater fly tying crusade, switching from fresh. Thought I'd start with clousers (on the advice of someone who knows what they're doing) and searched YouTube for a bit of instructional video. Found a vid by Bob Clouser (..you'd assume this guy knows what he's doing..). Three materials, a pair of eyes, a hook and thread, how can it be, right????

SnowKiwi thought you may be interested in this video to help with the clousers:

Now I've got to get the material and give one a go, seems like FlyShop.co.nz has all the goods for these.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 6:22am
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for your help guys, rod & reel arrived yesterday, and I have been buying a few bits and pieces of fly tying materials off the net, hopefully I will get started if the stuff arrives. I had a bit of trouble tracking down the Angelina hair, but eventually found a supplier, and hopefully that will arrive before the weekend. PM me Swine Hunter, if you need supplier details.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 5:27pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snowkiwi... there's a place on my boat for you anytime you want it.... just bring your avatar with you!Wink
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 5:57pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the offer Clark, but she took me a long time to find, and she is very shy!!!
Also she is not as young as she used to be, but she is still quite nice to watch in a rough sea, in the warm bikini weather, up here in the North!!!