Canterbury Spearos Thread...

Page  <1 56789 365>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 9:32pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yea was pissing down in the moring today, sea didnt look to good, hope it clears up fast for you guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 8:20pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 9:04pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Um- you mean caught it on a rod and running line right? because of course you wouldn't be silly enough to break the law and shoot one and then publish that on the internet with a photo and all now would you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 9:50pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I thought as long as you were out in the open sea it was fine????....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:27pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Obviously the post has been edited, but if is a trout or salmon, you can spear them in the sea, as long as they are a certain distance from river mouths. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 11:02pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats what my understanding of the rules was as well..

I can only find info on it under the freshwater fisheries regulations. and it wasnt freshwater so the rule doesnt apply?? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 11:13pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^ Just post the pic and see if you get the SIS at your doorstep by midnight?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 11:25pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll post my pic of the salmon I shot south of Makara!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 8:35am
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Below is a link from fisheries regarding Salmon- they are a little special and can only be taken by rod and running line even in the sea.

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreational/Most+Popular+Species/Fish+Identification/L+-+R/Quinnat+Salmon.htm?&MSHiC=65001&L=10&W=salmon%20&Pre=<span%20cla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 9:02am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have no problem with spearing them, but yeah, maybe posting a pic may not be a good idea. I was told by Fisheries that as long as I was away from rivers I was fine, but it wouldn't be the first case of insufficient or wrong info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 9:26am
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll be watching every car that follows me over the next week or so..  And taking different routes home..

I think it was just an oversized kahawai anyway..  LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 10:37am
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah- it's a pretty badly informed ruling, it's posted at rivermouths etc and I think on the sign at Magnet bay but nowhere else- just putting a warning up as while Ministry of Fisheries may not care too much Fish and game might, especially given how crap the salmon season has been. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 12:32pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I appear to have lost my weightbelt at the summer series. I think it ended up in someone else's car boot - Didn't catch the guys names, but they were diving as a three and were in a white toyota(?) wagon (?) and diving near me on the south coast and parked next to us on the peninsula and were one of the last teams to weigh in. Can anone help me out on names / anything?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 2:14pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys - so who was in Kaiks yesterday for the comp?  What happened?  How did it go?  Who won?!  C'mon, wake up and let us know the news eh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote L Akaloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 3:53pm
L Akaloa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great day, so many spearos descended on the area. Locals Levi and Alistair narrowly took it out with MJL and Besty a close second. Besty definitely took out the best story for entering a narrow cave to fetch a decent cray then performing a front roll to escape back out. Also spun a great yarn describing how he butchered the biggest cray of the day and took a second dive to retrieve the other half. My new gun and wetsuit worked a treat and R Jack managed to nab a monster Blue Cod. Shame about the weight belt being left behind the wrong car, I’m sure it will turn up though.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 9:01pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think Fish and Game's juridiction on capture method  extends 400m either side of the rivermouth

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Disconnected Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 10:56pm
Disconnected View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Felt it time I join the shenanigans how's it been people? damn Tsunami warning put today out the picture.

A pic from a trip to Kaiks a while back with Vip_yo. All eaten fresh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wetfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 12:53pm
Wetfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went to Kaikoura with a couple of mates......clear as until the wind kicked in after lunch which was evil all afternoon...only shot 1 moki (53cm) between the 3 of us, saw like 1 butterfish, zillions of rass, marble, and small moki but nothing decent at all....saw no paua or even seals in the water......very odd day, was it the twitlight zone before the tsunami or are we just **** at spearing! ... probably the latter!

Pick of the 1 (one) fish... in 5 hours

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 4:49pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here're a few piccies of the weekend.  Thanks to everyone who competed. 

Overall winners Levi Grady and Alistair Lean

Lucky draw winner Ben Friend

Bestiality and his warehou

"No tarakihi in Kaikoura" my arse

Tsunami???

Beautiful back drop for sunday dive

Mixed bag - warehou, butterfly perch and tarakihi

Hippo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 4:55pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome stuff MJL - wicked pics too.  Nice one to pick up something different to the usual butter/ moki/ cod triple, that's for sure.  Looks like beut conditions. Clap

Trust Levi to bring it home, a bit of local knowledge goes a long way that's for sure.

Seen plenty of mini-turkeys up there, but never the full fat versions so good on ya.  Them warehou are great wee fish to stick in the fry pan - will have to go have a shufty this weekend I reckon, go get me some more. 

That's if there're any fish left up there after the comp Wink   How many people entered in the end?
Page  <1 56789 365>