Canterbury Spearos Thread...

Page  <1 362363364365>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:23pm
yo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All, 

I am new to Christchurch from Mauritius and would like to train to be a better free diver. 
Unfortunately I missed the meeting last week.
Is there any training organised that I can assist? If yes what gear would I need?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:09pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pool training is 745pm at the Graham Condon pool. We meet in the spa pool, and get into the lane pool at 8pm.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:18pm
yo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Barx, 

Thanks for your reply. What day is this training on?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:58pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry  Bro. Tuesday night. Just got back from pool training now. Had 10 swimmers plus the instructor tonight. Good intense session.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:52am
yo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No worries,

Will try to get there next Tuesday. Thanks for the info. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:50pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet. Bring your togs and towel, mask and snorkel, and fins. We pay individually for the pool entrance ($6 each) and each week someone different pays for the lane hire. Sometimes we go for a beer afterwards which is a good opportunity to meet other spearos and setup to do spearo trips together.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 10:21am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any south Canterbury shore dives?

hey guys, staying in Geraldine for a while, are there any good shore dives within 1-2 hours drive? if so what is expected quarry ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 6:05pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The beaches around Banks Peninsula are ok if the viz is good. Most need permission from the land owner. Kaikoura is gorgeous shore diving for butters, moki, blue cod, terakihi and crays (no paua) but a bit longer drive than you want. Might be best to come to a pool session at Graham Condon pool on a Tuesday night starting at 745pm and talk some of the boat owning spearos into a trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DickieBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:03pm
DickieBird View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow been a long time since I visited here.. been focussed on hunting the hills and having kids etc. Any way I think it's time to get back in the water- are the pool sessions still a thing? Cheers Richie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:29pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Richie
Gidday. Yep the pool sessions are all go at Graham Condon pool (Papanui weedline) from 745pm Tuesday nights. We typically get about a dozen spearos to training.
We've also setup a South Island spearfishing and freediving club and have a bunch of events planned for this coming season - lots of opportunities to get in the water from Durville to Stewart Island. See you Tuesday.
Barx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DickieBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:51am
DickieBird View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Barx, hopefully see you Tuesday. Fins, mask, snorkel all I need? (to accompany the floral sluggo's of course). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 5:13pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes. $6 entry paid at reception like any other swimmer, and if you become a regular we'll ask that you pay for the lanes sometime in the future..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 7:41pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Barx,

I might pop along and give it a go if possible Barx. Be keen to get a bit better and learn some more as I'm still at beginner level.

Cheers JB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:40pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet. See you Tuesday night at Graham Condon pool at 745 for an 8pm start.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:35pm
Thor View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, 1st post here.

I'm an 40 year old spero and wanting to up my game.  I've got a young family that's always bloody hungry for Butterfish and Moki!  Keen to come to the pool sessions, improve my breath hold, and extend my hunting range!

I plan to come along to the next pool session on this Tuesday night??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AKA-johnbobsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:50pm
AKA-johnbobsmith View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First cray today with these two good *******
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dimeziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:10pm
dimeziz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

I am a new in Christchurch. I love spearfishing. It is my favourite hobby. I enjoyed spearfishing in many places in the World.

Unfortunately, I don't know any spearfishers in Christchurch.

Maybe anybody seeks the buddy for spearfishing? It will be great.)

Or... maybe anybody could recommend me any spearfisher charters in Chrch? 

I tried spearfishing in several places in the Banks Peninsula. In my opinion water always murky around this place.

I want to ask the local Speros. Will situation with visibility be changing during the summer?

Thank you for answers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AussieMate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 5:59pm
AussieMate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Guys, I come over to Nz every once in a while and looking forward to the next trip. I've been off Banks once before and felt like I was swimming in pea soup :)

I'm starting to think that Kaikoura might get cleaner water and less sediment, but not sure if I'm kidding myself, any tips on Kaikoura viz and best times of year?

Many thanks for your help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AmericaFYa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:59am
AmericaFYa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate not sure about the time of year is the best but Kaikoura has much better visibility than the Banks.

Are you looking to head up that way this weekend? Im looking for a dive partner the next few days up there and can show you around.

Cheers

027 520 6271
Brenden
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AussieMate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 1:09pm
AussieMate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Brenden, not over often - a couple of times a year at most. My GF is from Christchurch (we are in Sydney). We are planning our next trip and was trying to work out if Kaikoura should be on the list as the Banks kind of put me off. Great to hear that Kaikoura is better!! 

If I get there soonish I will definitely send you a text, but it might be around Easter. 

Cheers
Matt

Page  <1 362363364365>