Canterbury Spearos Thread...

Page  <1 34567 365>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:11am
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice. If I didnt have a baby due any moment now I'd be taking the boat out there this weekend??

Any more info on what gear was used?? Poppers near floating kelp??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:13am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Mr Little
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:13am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey fella
 when is your Mrs due, we are due 2 march

Glenn
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SAL72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:34am
SAL72 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=vip_yo]

Nice. If I didnt have a baby due any moment now I'd be taking the boat out there this weekend??

[/i was using a grim reaper 150 grm in silver, pretty much casting at the kelp from about 30-40meters it took the 2nd cast, and it took about ten minutes to land. The King had a couple of really good runs even with the reel clutch pretty tight. i saw another one that day, i hooked the kelp and when i winched that in to free it, there was a King coming in with the kelp unnderneath. I've since lost a smaller one as well - busted (50lb braid!)me off at the boat, so they are out there. Not sure how you would go about spearing one, they spook easily so using a boat from up wind as a blind might and drifting onto them might work. QUOTE]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 11:10am
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by felixx felixx wrote:

Hey fella
 when is your Mrs due, we are due 2 march

Glenn

Today actually.. so any time now. :)

How long till they can hold their breath under water?? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 11:14am
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by SAL72 SAL72 wrote:

[QUOTE=vip_yo]

[/i was using a grim reaper 150 grm in silver, pretty much casting at the kelp from about 30-40meters it took the 2nd cast, and it took about ten minutes to land. The King had a couple of really good runs even with the reel clutch pretty tight. i saw another one that day, i hooked the kelp and when i winched that in to free it, there was a King coming in with the kelp unnderneath. I've since lost a smaller one as well - busted (50lb braid!)me off at the boat, so they are out there. Not sure how you would go about spearing one, they spook easily so using a boat from up wind as a blind might and drifting onto them might work. QUOTE]

Cool.. well done. I've heard rumours of them being out there. but never seen the proof.
I'd probably have a go with a rod first.. I've hooked 2 off the rocks in the sounds but both busted me off. So its up there on my target list.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:41pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

With the Kings, anyone know how far out we are talking, have a 12ft dingy to chase them but not sure if they are in range? Had so much fun chasing them up Tasman Bay under the mussel farm bouys and I'm keen to have another crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 6:05pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In the canterbury kayak thread they are heading out this weekend for kings off sumner. Will beinteresting to see how they get on.

Someone mentioned seeing one over pigeon bay as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:41pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hay all, hope ya's are geting out there in this good weather

anyways went for another trip to kaiks in the weekend with pomahaka. left on saturday moring, cant even rember what the time was when we got there. so when there we got our gear on and jump in, the vis was very poor, 2-2.5m vis, i didnt shoot any fish that day, but thanks to pomahaka and spot x for paua, we still got our daily limt, and one bug. so out we hoped, and headed to south bay for a wee dip there, vis was worst there, but there was a mermaid in a wee tiny black bikini on the rocks, but once she had spoted us killers in the water she was quick to slip away. and that was day one done.

day two

went back to our fav spot, vis was 5m, and very calm, so off i went and found a spot with plenty of butter fish, got enuff for a feed and then made the long swim back to find pomahaka, who had allready got plenty of paua, but we went back to spot x and got a few more,will be going back there a few more times yet Tongue that was it pretty much, jump in the truck and off we went..

cheers steve for a mint trip, hopfully more people can come next time Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 8:57am
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff lads.  Was thinking of you guys being in the drink when the sun was scorching me and my paintbrush yesterday.  Cry 

With the fair weather this week, that eve trip is looking possible I reckon - let's see how it shapes up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shiraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:45am
shiraz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are you aware of the new aggregation limits for paua? Can't have more than 20 or 2kg mince, regardless of how many days you collected them. - Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 11:32am
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was out with L Akaloa in... wait for it.... Little Akaloa over the weekend. arrived saturday 6pm, in time for an evening dive, a couple of crays to me and a fat butter for him. Vis a very hazy 2.5-3m. Out again in the morning, pretty hard going with exceptionally poor vis, highly variable, out deep it was >1m, in the weed belt it was more like 2... bit of a swell working as well. managed to grab a cray that I gave myself a hell of a fright finding (basically swam into the bugger) and then waited around in midwater for a fish I wanted to swim past my speartip. All in all, a bit too much like hard work.

In conclusion, Little Akaloa isn't really worth the trip unless you have a batch there, and can sit on the deck drinking beers, in which case it is well worth it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 6:25pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that must have been some hot work there mate, hope you had a few cold ones at the ready. Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 6:27pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yes im aware of that not so new law, thanks anyways. just means you have to eat up LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 6:33pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I didn't get out for a dive  at kaikoura on the way through which was friday the week before last as the vis looked crap.. driving back home today conditions were perfect but unfortunately I had a ferry to catch with no spare time Cry.  Very cool looking coastline..

heres a pic at about 9am this morning

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:11pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

damn that looks good. anyone driving down from nelson to kaiks for the comp on saturday? could be keen to share some gas money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:28pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by R Jack R Jack wrote:

Was out with L Akaloa in... wait for it.... Little Akaloa over the weekend. arrived saturday 6pm, in time for an evening dive, a couple of crays to me and a fat butter for him. Vis a very hazy 2.5-3m. Out again in the morning, pretty hard going with exceptionally poor vis, highly variable, out deep it was >1m, in the weed belt it was more like 2... bit of a swell working as well. managed to grab a cray that I gave myself a hell of a fright finding (basically swam into the bugger) and then waited around in midwater for a fish I wanted to swim past my speartip. All in all, a bit too much like hard work.

In conclusion, Little Akaloa isn't really worth the trip unless you have a batch there, and can sit on the deck drinking beers, in which case it is well worth it.

Hey man..  You must have been the guys my mate talked to when we headed over there on sunday. 2nd week in a row the vis has been appalling there.
Although we were useless and arrived pretty late in the day LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andr'e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:59pm
Andr'e View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

that water in the picture looks very appealing
miss by an inch miss by a mile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 12:59am
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah that'd be us Yip yo, the weird thing was we were talking to a joker earlier who had been out the weekend before, he said it was pretty good. he'd walked right around to the heads, and then swam back. he said he got a 3kg & a 3.5kg cray, but no idea on the accuracy of the lie detecters. there are definately big ones there, but they have the pick of some very good caves... the second day I was out it felt like I was just proving that the caves I couldn't reach into the day before still could not be reached Geek. but worth it for the beers on the deck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote L Akaloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:20am
L Akaloa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ha, good to meet you Yip yo.  As for the worthiness of little Akaloa, I agree R Jack, beers on the deck were fantastic. On another note, Kaiks Summer series, anyone got a spare ride/want a noob partner. I'm not going to get anyone any medals but am just keen to get wet.

Page  <1 34567 365>