Snapper heads & frames for berley???

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shedz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapper heads & frames for berley???
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:15pm
shedz2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have always thought this was out of the question and have never gutted snaps on fishing spots either, but have been told its an old wives tale and great in your berley. Would like to hear some opinions before trying!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:29pm
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey shedz2, came up to Bowentown and raided your spot, 13 snaps, heavest 14lbs, very good.
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:31pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rays seem to like them :D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtasea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:36pm
xtasea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I believe it is a wifes tale. I freeze my snapper frames and guts after I fillet them at home, I then take them with me next trip and throw them over at my spot. I still catch snapper and Im sure it attracts fish  i.e bait fish and bait fish will attract snapper. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shedz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:46pm
shedz2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gidday U357.  So thats why we only came home with two pannies!?!
Put it down to all the jellyfish and truck loads of sea lettuce.
We were about four kms along matakana in 15m.
Glad you had a good day! Let me know the spot and I'll shoot out during the week and feed them for you mate!!! Thumbs Up
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shedz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:48pm
shedz2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to hear that!
Mine have always gone in the garden (or occassionally fish soup). Perhaps now they'll be going back where they came from!
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shedz2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 6:37pm
shedz2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by U357 U357 wrote:

Hey shedz2, came up to Bowentown and raided your spot, 13 snaps, heavest 14lbs, very good.
Also meant to ask what you fed them.I dont want to upset there taste budsLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 7:33am
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shedz2 shedz2 wrote:

Originally posted by U357 U357 wrote:

Also meant to ask what you fed them.I dont want to upset there taste budsLOL

Went down to the wharf first and stocked up on piper for bait!
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 7:40am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Angry What a waste of good food, keep them on ice and give them away if you can't be bothered utilizing them yourself, those that I don't want are distributed around friends and rellies.
The ones for our own use are smoked or used in fish stock.
In some quarters this part is considered the best and sweetest meat of all.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Damo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 7:40am
Damo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's a pile under Diversitys marina berth thats pretty big..in fact we have to be careful we dont run aground on it when we back inWink

Poor form doing your fish on your "spot" Do it on someone elsesBig smile

www.charterconnection.co.nz
Facebook: Diversity-Fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:29am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is an interesting thread...I often wonder if snapper used as bait turns other snapper away. Ive just started filleting fish at sea when the fishing goes quiet, saves having to do later. Sorry Feeder I dont know anyone who regularily wants the heads/frames and cant imagine they would take 18 odd heads/frames at once anyway, if you do let me know. My garden is barked so no buring there either. But I never drop the frames where Im fishing...hmm am i missing out on geat burley???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:47am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Approve RD, contact your local Maori Womans Welfare Leuge, they will recieve gratefully anything you have left over, if you can't find them let me know, I will get hold of our branch here, they will find a contact for you.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingyqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:48pm
kingyqueen View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
kingyqueen

heads and frames go in the smokerThumbs Up
www.bradleysmoker.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Demo_Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:01pm
Demo_Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I tryed it for berly once when i was younger, went out to the spot were i had caught them the day before and caught nothing the whole day. That was till i pulled the berly up and moved about 500 meters and got 2 in ten mins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:19pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

This is an interesting thread...I often wonder if snapper used as bait turns other snapper away. Ive just started filleting fish at sea when the fishing goes quiet, saves having to do later. Sorry Feeder I dont know anyone who regularily wants the heads/frames and cant imagine they would take 18 odd heads/frames at once anyway, if you do let me know. My garden is barked so no buring there either. But I never drop the frames where Im fishing...hmm am i missing out on geat burley???

Do you keep the frames to be measured by MFish if they pull you up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 3:22pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

eat them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:42pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

An old timer once told me you must first remove the skin, however that might be an old wives tale too. You would be surprised how much meat comes off the head and wings and when smoked it beats smoked fillets hands down. A couple of times I've run them through the mincer in addition to the home made burley and still caught snapper. Just my 2 cents, hope that helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:55pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Feeder now you mention that. Last year I fished White on a mates trailer boat and we got back to his place in Rotorua. When filleting he made a call and two vans pulled up (9pm) from the local Marae and we filled them with 40 bluenose, bass hapukua heads and frames etc. They were wrapped. Can you PM a contact number fella for the tron?

Jamesd, yip you got to be carefull there. As long as the fillet is over 27cm you are sweet. If under I would only be catching a few fish to be keeping that size so keep the frames in a seperate bag and bin at home.  But might now looks like I have someone who wants em
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We caught a heap and started slabbing them , just drifting. chucked down a jig and still continued to catch them as well as gurnard. snaps didn't seem to be put off!
On the Beagle, off Raggers.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:42pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reckon it's bollocks - Was gutting a good load of snaps in close to Waiheke a few months back when my mate said there was heaps of sign on the sounder. Dropped down a softie and hooked staright into a nice 50cm fish. Haven't been daring enough to give it another go though Wink

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Page  12>