Spearfishing in the Dunedin

Page  <1 57585960>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Submersion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:20am
Submersion View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice looking haul there mate, sounds like an amazing place and definitely a place I would like to go visit. Those paua look rather large as well! I have always been curious as to how far south crays will survive, as in would they be in some of the Sub-Antarctic islands further south of Stewart and Ruapuke. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 1:48pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mud, mud, glorious mud!  Did anyone get out?
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pixie Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:32pm
Pixie Z View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No, & unfortunately I've hurt myself pretty bad, so it's likely gonna be a couple of months before I can dive again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry to hear that mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Did Katiki this afternoon just after 2. Viz was not good-1-4m variable. Not very fishy. Saw 1 Butter, but Chis got 3 plus a paua. Still, was great to be out and had a good dive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Went past Shag yesterday.  Better,  closer to the beach, but quite rough and dirty at the cattle stop.  Might give it a miss this weekend...again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:10pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looking good down here in the south, planning a early trip out tomorrow morning with the expected easterly opening up some normally rough west facing shorelines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 7:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

5m+ viz around Bluff hill today, got a feed of paua, the cray were a little shy and are still in their holes, seen a couple of kahawai (seeing a lot of these now) but most of the fish were pretty skittish so no spears were fired.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 8:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Moeraki was cold, relatively clean. Fish and paua on the menu tonight. We got at Moeraki just after sunrise, having travelled through frosty fields and roads. The water temperature was 8C, with the air temperature 2 C. Apart from Moki and Terakihi not much else seen I lost a good sized Terakihi off the spear. After two hours in the water, we were looking forward to a hot drink😊
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:50pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What?????????????

Why no posts in here, only the fresh water is frozen, the sea is fine........

Big smileBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 6:04am
Platinum
Platinum

I posted on Saturday bug my post Webb to a strange place...was at Katiki, water was clean. But no fish came home. The fact that I left my mask and booties at home didn't help, of course 🙄
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:27am
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah I saw that post while looking for something else, hence the reason i looked here to see what was going on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:07pm
Platinum
Platinum

got out from Bluff last saturday, 25 paua, 10 blue cod, 7 crayfish amongst 3 divers, vis was 8m at the hill, and 12+ out at Ruapuke Island.

conditions look to be better this weekend and we are heading out from Bluff again tomorrow looking for a couple of new cray spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimmy77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:18pm
Jimmy77 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

any vis reports? finished up with tests etc and am desperate to get wet, fairly green about areas so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:43pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out and about at karitane last sunday and it was 2-4m vis. Could be anything by now though. I will definitely be going out somewhere this weekend on the water so will report if I notice any areas with good vis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 3:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Ended up at Shag as Katiki looked a bit surgy from the SH. Got paua, blue cos and Butters between 3 of us. Was a great dive and my lack of pool time didn't affect my bottom times too much...did a 1:15 drop with a most around the 1min mark. Viz was 2-4 and the water was 8-9C. Was more fishy than for months
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 7:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Ended up at Shag as Katiki looked a bit surgy from the SH. Got paua, blue cos and Butters between 3 of us. Was a great dive and my lack of pool time didn't affect my bottom times too much...did a 1:15 drop with a most around the 1min mark. Viz was 2-4 and the water was 8-9C
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jimmy77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 4:18pm
Jimmy77 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

ended up in the harbour and had very limited success, vis was average, 1-2m and the wind picked up in the arvo, good to get back in the water though after a long winter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pixie Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 4:01pm
Pixie Z View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did Blackhead yesterday. Was around 1m swell, but long sets so pretty flat, but was pretty surgey on the bottom. Vis was rubbish, about 1-2m. But I was only goin to grab a few paua, so the vis didn't bother me. Had purposely left the gun at home.

But after breaking my back at the end of the day & having spent the months since recovering on dry land it was nice to put the suit back on & get in the water, even for just a quick dive. & with my paua supply having long been depleted I'm really looking forward to a feed of them tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Anybody been to Shag or Katiki? Want to give it a wirl on Sunday...
Page  <1 57585960>