Weiti River

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockinnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weiti River
    Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:22pm
rockinnz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anybody fished in or around the weiti river?
Went and had a looksy (drive by) down to the boat ramp and the little jetty.
Would the KY get up in there or just sprats and YEMs etc? Any one fished the mouth with any luck?

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 7:29am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ky ,sharks ,odd trev  caught at mouth ,good place for yellowtail off jetty at night  
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:05am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About 13 years ago I hooked and lost a decent kingfish off the first wharf, I didn't stand a chance on 6kg line with all the pilings and rocks! That was teh first and only time I have seen kingfish up the river, it was late summer I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weiti fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:48am
Weiti fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

lived adjacent to weiti river for 15 years and theres plenty of activity all the way up the river, my favourite spot is near duck creek just before the old stephensens concrete, there are plenty of small to medium sized snapper, as well as overgrown mullet and some very big kawai. Also there are alot of juvenile lemon fish and there are a few kingi's living up the river too. Definately worth a fish if you are living on the Whangaparaoa peninsula but even when its a little windy fishing off jetties is very difficult and its best to take a small boat or kayak out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:04pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

weiti river is very fishy
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote toasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:08pm
toasta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Weiti fisher Weiti fisher wrote:

lived adjacent to weiti river for 15 years and theres plenty of activity all the way up the river, my favourite spot is near duck creek just before the old stephensens concrete, there are plenty of small to medium sized snapper, as well as overgrown mullet and some very big kawai. Also there are alot of juvenile lemon fish and there are a few kingi's living up the river too. Definately worth a fish if you are living on the Whangaparaoa peninsula but even when its a little windy fishing off jetties is very difficult and its best to take a small boat or kayak out.
Hey Weiti Fisher, there seems to be plenty of wharves on Weiti River but are they mostly private? There looks like a couple of good ones off duck creek road (Stillwater) and one from the weiti boating club...are any of these open to the public...they look like good spots to pick up bait fish etc. Cheers Toaster
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:01pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by keep on fishing keep on fishing wrote:

weiti river is very fishy

Still remember my baitrunner smoking that night mate, reckon it was a massive ray or shark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah never ever caught a shark over whangaparoa in 7 years but caught for in the last few months so anythings possible
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

of topic anyone jeen for a whanga fish let me know bahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:29pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

took my little fella down for his first fish with his new fishing rod he got for his birthday yesterday before sunset - landed his first snapper on the second cast but alas that was it for the hour or so we were there.
HOWEVER - saw 2 kings and 4 eagle rays while we were there so heading back with livebaiting gear as soon as i can!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:07am
Shello View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i am going there next week when the weathers bettwer going by bus early in the morning
M scott
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:17am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's murky which makes it great for predators. Have hooked massive rays and been smoked by them and whatever else many times. There seems to be an abundance of small kahawai up there. A freshly caught kahawai donged on the head and doing the epileptic dance does the trick. 
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:29am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes a variety of fish swim through, some KY and mainly tiddler snapper.
The Weiti boat club jetty - fishing is prohibited, but the jetty further towards the sea is fine, just no go at low tide. I've found outgoing tide good for baitfish.
Good luck on the kingies, they seem to know what to do Ouch   Smile
A lot of current so grabber weights etc required at times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 12:12pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why is murky water good for predators?
I've heard stories of people catching sugar sacks full of fish there in the past so there might not be much left any more?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 1:51pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last summer there we kingis around the wharf. Like Espresso said, a sand grabbing sinker and small lively could be productive. I reckon a slide rig down a 6ounce sinker would be fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 7:23pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yep sounds the ticket, I'd be tempted to fish from the Stillwater side, just past the last poles, nice sand bank and a bit of clear area. I've seen kingis working over Ky/bait a couple of times over the years. There's a chance to lead the fish away from all the bust offs maybe.

What about rubber banding a mack back from the last pole/boat, sounds like a nice warm evening, spring-ish high tide just turned going out thing to do?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Owenpeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 4:08pm
Owenpeli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

do you mean yellowtail kingfish or yellowtail jack mackerel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 7:03am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Use a small jack mackerel to catch the Kingfish. Or top water stickbait...