Smoking Albacore Tuna

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking Albacore Tuna
    Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 10:17pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We scored a few Albacore this weekend and I was really keen to try them smoked, so I dragged my poor man's hot smoker box out of hibernation and deployed it on the gas BBQ.

The Fat Al Berts were treated well, as in; bled, gutted and headed... for the small ones. (after they were stood down from live bait dutiesWink)

Whereas the bigger one was: bled, gilled and the guts were removed via a small cut under the throat (meaning belly still intact) and then packed with SALT ICE in the internals and then the fish placed in plastic bags with more salt ice wrapped around their carcasses.

About 12 hours or so later they were dutifully;-  sliced, filleted and cut...off bone and the beautiful dark red sprint muscle removed (strong and iron like tasting).

I first tried a small albert with some special spiced smoked salt and garlic with a drizzle and gentle massage and smear of maple syrup and cranberry sauce.

The smoker box was bought slowly up to temp on the BBQ, once it was starting to smoke I put the rack in and turned all of the burners down to low and gave it 20 mins.

The end result was; I had perhaps overspiced a little, over cooked a little, but the neighbours loved it and we all agreed it was like smoked chicken.

The next session I did with bigger chunks of Fatter Al Berts and I just sprinkled a wee bit of ground rock salt (sea salt) and then a wee smear of maple syrup and topped it off with a sprinkling of Chilli and Lime Seasoning (Greggs - Sorry not the Masterfoods...LOL)

I let it sit for about 20 mins only.

I then put  new Manuka (tea tree) sawdust in the smoker, put the lid on, got it up to the best smoking  temp and when it started to smoke,  put the rack inside, turned all burners down to low again and this time gave it exactly 10 mins ONLY.

And this time it was absolute MINT and it came out PREMO...Clap

... As they say... Albacore Tuna...The Chicken of the Sea

20 minute sit...

Ready to rock and roll...

...End result...Well the pics make it look boring and ho hum... but the taste was absolute mint and indeed excellent.

Overall, a damn good experiment which turned out very worthwhile and was very easy to do.Clap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 11:36pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bradley-ed mine. No photos as all gone Big smile
Did it as loins (as per this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb-jNxvSSrU )
Into a container with 3 tspns of maple brine, some maple syrup and a bottle of soy honey&garlic marinade. Topped of with water and stood for 36 hrs.
One hour to dry out the surface and 2 hours of aldine smoke.
Went down a treatTongue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:42am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 8:18am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good experiment Catchelot, i got around to trying some hot smoked last year, but forgot to put the wood chips inWacko ha ha.

I'll be trying again when they start invading our waters down here in huge numbers hopefully like last year. 10 mins max sounds good to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 8:37am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

smoked albert was maybe my favorite last year. was actually really surprised it turned out so nice. looking forward to getting some more this year!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:43am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

damn, just found this thread again. should of done the same as the 'carking' clip. question, do i loin the fillets to get rid of the centre bones? or just leave them in and cut into smaller chunks to smoke? albacore tuna.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:12am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good idea with the barby .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:56am
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Richie, next time try this,  it's worth the hassle.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=57748

"Brown Sugar, Kosher salt, Apple Juice or pineapple juice & teriyaki sauce

I slice the tenderloins in 1 inch wide portions against the grain at an angle mainly for looks after the product is smoked. 

Brining correctly is crucial to killing the bacteria in the fish so I employ an equal mixture of kosher salt and brown sugar. No other spices!!! A layer of this mixture in a clean, sanitized plastic dishpan then a layer of fish until pan is full. Each piece of fish must be coated and not touching each other. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Yes! 24 hours. Then rinse by now liquified brine off fish in cool water and put all pieces in another clean dishpan.

HERE IS WHERE THE WORLD FAMOUS PART COMES IN. Cover fish in Apple Juice and let soak for another 24 hours in refrigerator. Yep that is it. Drain fish and place on racks to air dry for an hour or so and then place in your smoker for the time needed. Each smoker is different. I use a Big Chief and run through 2 pans of DRY chips (sometimes 3) and leave fish in smoker til done. Fish pieces when done but still moist should give a bit (like a cake) when pushed with a finger. 

Several years ago I did the 'soak' after brining with a mixture of Pineapple Juice and Teriyaki sauce. The results were absolutely amazing. I have also tossed a few sliced Jalapenos in with the juice soak for a bit of spice but believe me no other spices are necessary. Cool fish to room temp then vacuum seal. This product has garnered First Prize at our County fair every time I have entered it and is a favorite to anyone who tries it. No kidding.

I hope you try this easy, uncomplicate recipe. When you do, you will be totally amazed at the flavor of this product. No salty after taste at all. Just the true Albacore flavor enhanced to perfection. Please let me know if you enjoy this or have any questions."

Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:12am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

doing a marlin today will try your method rmb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:24am
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't know what kosher salt is so I just used plain salt, next time I'll try the teriyaki sauce.
Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 3:06pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Euro, leave the centre bones on the fish. Once the skin is off, you can use a knife or your finger. If its well chilled and you start next to the pec, your finger is enough. Rarely use a knife now to remove the loins then cut off any/all the blood line. Bones and most of the blood let on the frame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:48pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are having Turtles Bradly smoked albert tonight in a gentle pan fried white sauce... and then into the ovenClap

I cheated and added some extra smoked Blue Mackeral.Wink

Check this out a very fast moving BM school... lures just about to be hitCool

Whanau like this on top of a bowl of long grain rice...me I slice up Vogels and make fried bread - gentle fry in garlic butter - and serve fish on little toasties another kiwi favouriteCool

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:18pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Few pics up...Wink

Will add the recipe later too busy filling my hapuku (big belly)LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 8:32pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I tried smoking some albert for the first time last week. Basted them overnight in salt/brown sugar/soy sauce then did a hottish smoke for nearly two hours in the filing cabinet.  Turned out pretty good but definatley over cooked it.  I took a few loins off fresh, rolled them in sesame seeds and garlic salt , then seared on a hot pan for a minute per side - delicious.
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:37pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I must say/advise anyone on Albacore cookery that it is such a delicate white fish muscle/loin/meat if sliced properly (tenderloins), but do not over; cook/heat/smoke if you do it will be dry and bland.
Drop dead gorgeous as sashimi...

Great wee sesame sear number there DH gotta love AlbacoreClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 7:59am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

Euro, leave the centre bones on the fish. Once the skin is off, you can use a knife or your finger. If its well chilled and you start next to the pec, your finger is enough. Rarely use a knife now to remove the loins then cut off any/all the blood line. Bones and most of the blood let on the frame.

thanks mate, but i have converterd to loins now but with the skin still on and then cut into chunks. its all just in front of the fan for 90 mins and then into the bradley after being cured from yesterday. i cut nearly all the dark/blood meat off as best i could. i'm gona try my best not to over cook it. saw that carking tuna clip which looked great for sashimi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 3:19pm
Bull View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did alberts a year or so ago. The difference in colour and texture from bled/not bled fish is amazing. They do dry out quicker, so maybe use the bowl full of water when smoking. Also think they take sweet flavours really well, so a glaze during the final drying out stage will also keep them more moist and get that sweetness in.
Also think taking out pin bones, blood centre line is well worth it.
http://www.squidfish.net/

�.��.���'�.�����'�.��.���'�.� ><((((�>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 8:50am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well here's a selection. tried my best not to over cook but still have colour.

turned out pretty good i think.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:27am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

turned out better than good Euro - epic would be how I'd put it ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 12:55pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Davo.Thumbs Up
Page  12>