Disposing Stale petrol

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disposing Stale petrol
    Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 5:58pm
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys

Got 20 odd liters of 3 month old petrol. Probably as good as sour milk for a cat.
Anyway rang BP, Shell and Mobil to see if they would take it and dispose of it for me. Big NO!

Without setting fire to my neighbours house Wacko whats the best way to get rid of it?

No I don't live rural otherwise it would have been easy with a big bonfire.

http://www.southernbluefins.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISH 4 DINNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:16pm
FISH 4 DINNA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Eric , just put it in the car ( or friends ) a little at a time .
Cars tanks are 60 litres plus , so no biggie to add to existing gas
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:18pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can also use it in your motor mower - I do it all the time.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:21pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

if you dont want to do either of those, ring your local boat yard, they normaly love the stuff to put in their tractors for hauling around the boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks all.

Problem solved thanks for the input.Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:31pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It goes ok in the car like others have said.
Otherwise give it to someone like the coastguard...
Our boat takes 400l so 20L will mix in OK

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Felix. Thats a good idea.

Will keep that in mind for the next time. For now I will use it in the wife's car.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:44pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My old '86 Falcon hated stale petrol. Everytime I didn't use the car for a few weeks, I would think there was something wrong with it (missing, etc) but put new petrol in (96) and the motor purred like a new one.

I think more modern engines aren't as sensitive but it has highlighted to me just how quickly petrol can go off.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

My wife's car is newer model.......corolla statiowagon '95Wink......so should be ok just little by little without her knowing it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:45pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just pour the whole lot in she ll never notice,also under your insurance there is a limit to how much fuel you actually have stored around the place so personally would dump it all in

i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 9:17pm
paw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

After reading the advice on F.NET on stale fuel I bought back 40litres of 91octane I had stored at the bach and put 20 in Maw's car (2003 Mazda  323) and it runs sweetly ( the car that is) and it was almost empty when I put it in. I also have been running the ride on mower on this and no problems. The fuel was over a year old and had been in plastic containers screwed down tight and in the back of an old well aerated shed under some trees and in the dark.
  I now run the boat on 98 and don't store too far ahead
sleeping is a symptom of caffeine deprivation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:03pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeh well thing is if its going to cause a problem lot easier to get out of car and walk somewhere
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:19pm
paw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's what I decided-maw only drives 2km to work and back and I could always use the hand mower if REALLY necessary. Shame to waste good fuel if it still works OK
sleeping is a symptom of caffeine deprivation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:41pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fill up the weed sprayer and bobs ya aunty,Stern SmileLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:50pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Eric de Vries Eric de Vries wrote:

Hi guys

Got 20 odd liters of 3 month old petrol. Probably as good as sour milk for a cat.
Anyway rang BP, Shell and Mobil to see if they would take it and dispose of it for me. Big NO!

Without setting fire to my neighbours house Wacko whats the best way to get rid of it?

No I don't live rural otherwise it would have been easy with a big bonfire.

May I ask Eric, why you think your 3 month old 20 litres of Petrol is off...??

So would you share this info mate and tell us why the supplier won't take it back if you have concerns?

CheersClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:29pm
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Use old petrol to kill noxious weeds on your property and on you neighbours' properties (with their permission!)  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 8:56am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What?  And create a potentially posioned patch of dirt until some one cleans it up?  Great plan.

DO NOT dispose of petrol on the ground, bad bad bad.

The reason that service stations won't take it back it that they don't know whats in it.  If the fuels been mixed with two-stroke oil it's useless to them, so easier not to have the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 9:57am
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When I thought that I had stale fuel I went to Auto One and purchased a can of STP Octane Booster, which brought the levels up and mixed half with new and old.  all is wellThumbs Up

DD
Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 10:46am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by deltadreams deltadreams wrote:

When I thought that I had stale fuel I went to Auto One and purchased a can of STP Octane Booster, which brought the levels up and mixed half with new and old.  all is wellThumbs Up

DD
Does the octane levels drop in stale fuel?  Is that the only problem with it?
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 11:04am
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Chris,  I was told by the Honda Mech that stale fuel does loose octane levels i.e. 96 drops to below 89.
Thats why I used the Octane Booster,  I run a Honda 150 [2006]  all seems fine and the general consumption is in the area of 1NM = .9ltrs but that depends on conditions

DD
Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Page  12>