Sailfish lure without a hook - it works

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hachingpooh2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailfish lure without a hook - it works
    Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 6:57am
hachingpooh2000 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,
some days ago my friend Stephan Kreupl tried a self constructed lure for Sailfish at the Maledives. The amazing fact is, that this lure has no hook and it really works.

Here is a picture of this hook

I tried to translate the catch report (originally written in German on the site bluewaterfishing.eu) here

Maybe the future of sailfish fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 7:04am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Illegal as that bit of rope/strig hanging out the back wraps around the bill of of fish and drowns it( closes both jaws thus not allowing it to breath)
That is my take on what the IGFA rules state, good one for Paul(weighmaster)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 7:23am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

IGFA illegal to my mind as well.

Stephan Kreupl is no bunny though - I wonder what he is/was up to

As an aside, blue/white/pink - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 7:27am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That rig has been around for a while Obald, usually with a longer piece of hemp type rope that wraps around the bill the tighter it gets eventually drowning the fish.Cry
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 7:30am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I know all that, but I'm just interested as to who is fiddling around with this nonsense.
Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 11:26am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Definitely illegal as pointed out!

Why anyone would bother with this rubbish is beyond me.
I do know of guys that have done this fishing FLY in the loosest sense of the word.

Yes it does work, but why bother if the fish comes up dead.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 10:32pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As has been said it is illegal under IGFA regs a s a catching device.  However as I understand it it is legal for use as a holding device similar to a snooter / bill rope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 1:53am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we caught a couple of sails in Manzanillo, Mexico using similar lures except with 3 or 4 lengths of hemp string. fish came up alive but it was a pain in the arse trying to get the tangled mess of string off the bill
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 8:31am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has been around for ages, normally used by third world boatmen for anglers who don't know how to hook the fish, or for tourists who could not give a toss about the sporting aspects of billfishing. 

It does work, but sails fight even less hard than they normally do because you're normally leading them around by the nose.  Most of the challenge of sailfishing comes in getting a successful hookup so entangling them just isn't as much fun (really).  Also, if you run it without hooks you won't hook up a variety of tasty critters that frequent the same waters - wahoo, spanish mackerel, tuna and so on. 

I'd rather fish them with something like this