Experience

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experience
    Posted: 16 Nov 2002 at 12:06am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Gidday Kerren.

I have been visiting this forum for ages and I even thought the old one was good (well at least it was local even if it was under utilised), but you have really improved it of sight.

One thing that I realise is that a lot of those who use the forums are novice fisherman, but made of the right stuff in that they want to learn and that thirst for knowledge is what drives most people that have a passion for their chosen calling.

The best thing about the whole setup (to me) is those such as yourself with real fishing experience that are a wealth of information to those that want to learn and lets face it, it's a hobby (is it a sport?) with no set rules and we can all learn from each other.

Is there a way that we can list our "credits" so we know who we take advice from without turning it into a bragging post?

I am a lowly Gurnard fisherman ... imagine if I started telling some swept up visitor how to catch a marlin!

Perhaps something added to the profile listing fishing preferences and years spent fishing. I dunno..... I only ramble on about this sort of stuff when I have had a whole lot of whiskey....

Still really impressed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2002 at 3:33pm
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In 45 years I've never fished with anybody who pretended to be an expert in his/her field.

I particularly like the sharing that goes on here and have learnt a lot. I'd like to think I've imparted some knowledge as well.

Credits type of listing could scare some folk away or give somebody a 'senior' type of rating whereby they would hog a particular board. This already happens.

I for one think if people post here then they have something to say and I want to hear it be it amateur or not. If they have a question then they'll ask.

Ross

Fishing-4-all-NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2002 at 3:59pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi ya Fellas..

I think you both make excellent points....One of the many things that has/does impress me about these forums and those that post here is the fact that most questions get answered by many contributors...take that "best snapper hook" thread for instance...most (novice/experienced and even those that get paid to fish) had their two cents worth! I have to agree with Ross that by making "someone" an expert we would essentially be telling those that don't have an "expert" status their input isn't welcome....In saying that I believe that when a thread is started about say catching Gurnard then I would know who to alert and ask for their valuable experience on that thread........

my two cents, but open to others point of view..perhaps the personal members profiles could do with a re-vamp to include a little bit more information...

Thanks for your encouraging feedback Smudge!!!

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05