any good places out west auckland?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JEPZ THE MAORI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any good places out west auckland?
    Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:56pm
JEPZ THE MAORI View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys im a keen fisherman based out west trying to find some good fishing spots
land based or out on the boat manly near titirangi/french bay where i usually lauch the boat from. thnx jepzSmile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 7:09pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Jepz...I am in Green Bay and still looking for some good spots myself LOL. I will be following this link closely Wink
Probably depends on far far you want to travel, but I would suggest you maybe try the NZ Fishing News Map Guide (if you have not already done so)....that has a few spots worth looking at I think from memory
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 1:12pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi there Guys

Im a landbased fisher at heart but the Manukau doesnt seem to produce a great deal in close.

Try spots such as cornwallis wharf from low tide and fish the incoming with a change of light usually will produce decent kahawai, sting rays and the odd snapper, gunard, trevally or even a kingi if your lucky.

Little Huia can also produces quite well if your willing to walk around the rocks to the right on a low or outgoing tide tide, be sure to take plently of lead though as the current rips through there

Ive heard of success at french and green bays on low tides at the right times of year too.

As with any harbour the Manukau is extremely seasonal. Fishing has been slow on our side for a while now (im based in Parau), however the snapper are beginning to return in numbers.

I fish the Manukau predominatly in a boat now and find I get much better results, working both the wairopa channel and the te tau banks. If your boat permits, trying geting out to the Karore Banks over towards the airport, these banks often produce good feeds of snapper at this time of year. If you are unsure of where these are visit this site and download the nautical charts NZ4314 and NZ4315 http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/nz202-chart-catalogue/index.aspx this will give you a good idea of the harbour and its layout.

Either way, just get out there and experiment, if theres water... you will allways have a chance of catching a fish

Good Luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 2:43pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whatipu bch also fishs well when able to fish there walk up the bch looking for guts  and cast out to them the nine pin rock there also has it's moments ,more you will have to get out and look on the west
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 5:24pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gee, where to start.

Put a line in the water anywhere that you can't see anyone else fishing that'll take you more than 30mins to walk to and you should be onto it.

There's an interseting spot I spied on sunday from the top of a cliff, I told you about this one I think Doubie, that I'm going to attempt on Saturday morning....... That's if the weather plays nicely, other wise I'll go over the usual hill to the other side of where I fell asleep yesterday. Oops.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 8:47pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As long as the swell is a reasonable size and the rocks are too hard to sleep on Mouthu you should give it a crack!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 8:55pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You shouldn't mock my ability to sleep while fishing, by the way, you're coming too on saturday. I'm sure your missus said you could.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 9:00pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

You shouldn't mock my ability to sleep while fishing.

So thats the reason why you have a cow bell hanging at the tip of your rod. Big smile
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 9:03pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mouthu mouthu wrote:

You shouldn't mock my ability to sleep while fishing, by the way, you're coming too on saturday. I'm sure your missus said you could.
LOL...depends on what time you are going and what the weather is up toWink

Better Saturday that Sunday I think...pencil me in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 9:08pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't think you'd ever seen my bell Areil.

The weather and swell is going to have to play ball to fish this one, i'm not keen to hike down that track if I can't fish it.
If it's not a goer, there's another spot I'd like to try not to far away.

P.s. Areil, you're allowed to come too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 9:14pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers for the offer Matt Thumbs Up.. yeah why not. lets watch the weather.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 6:32pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey guys, I'm going for a quick tramp on thursday arvo to have a look at this spot, will let you know thursday night.

Jepz, do you want to come to. Near piha.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JEPZ THE MAORI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 12:44pm
JEPZ THE MAORI View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nah thanx anyway Mouthu im a bit to busy and already got invited to go out next week. thnx jepz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 1:29pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No worries, went and had a look at that spot today..................... NOT a spot for when it's raining!!!

That's ok though, there's another spot that should be an easy (level'ish) walk into that we can try instead if the swells aren't too big.

I would like to try the outside of Lion rock sometime too, that might be an over the tide jaunt though, maybe best left for later in summer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 8:14am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys,

have any of you fished the rocks between bethells beach and oneils before?
Me and my mate have never really fished west coast before, we are after a good rock spot that might have some good chances.

Also is there a certain tide that works well out on the west? Thanks

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 1:20pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There's lots said about those rocks in the spot X book, They're supposed to be good producers of fish but can be a bit dodgy. Life jackets are a must and make sure you do your homework on tides and swells, I think at least 3 fisherfolk have been out there never to return in the last year or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:12pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a west aucks spot thats a 2 minute walk fish for 4 hours on the outgoing not in that area anymore best fish 14lb but average 30-35cm happy to give a spotX away to a fellow fisho once in a while you will need B.O.S the areas I fish now I'll never be returning thea lol

Drop me a PM Jepz Chur
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 7:23pm
Silver
Silver

Hey thanks for the warning welshbaz!
sounds like we will defintely have to be extra careful if we head there.
Will post on how it goes if we do
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
Silver
Silver

didnt end up going bethels spot in the end went to southhead and had a all good day!

hook it up that spot keep on fishing! Big smile