Long line rig

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long line rig
    Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 10:01pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys, Me and the father inlaw are making a Kontiki to try local fishing of the beaches.

After some advice on how to rig the long line. Shoule the main line be along the bottom with the traces coming off with some little bead floats to keep the baits off the ground?

When attaching traces to ling line is it better to tie loops in the long line, or cut and crimp swivels in the intervals where the traces will be clipped on?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 7:21am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

along the bottom no floats  - crabs can swim
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 8:04am
davethefisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

dropper loops have their place, however as fish normally pick up a bait and run, just crimps you would use for live bait rigs etc at every 2- 5 m interval is best, lets your traces run between them, fish picks up bait and runs, trace hits crimp and sets hook. however using a trace on every 2nd space is also good as it means less tangles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 8:31am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I put crimps 1 metre appart at 5 metre centres.

Try floats on every 2nd kook and see what works best where you're setting. I dont bother but do have lumo beads on some traces, so far the catch rate is the same as standard traces.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 9:56am
Gold
Gold

Thanks guys! I was thinking floats on the traces to stop the baits dragging along the bottom on the way out. I think I will go for the crimps a metre apart with a running trace. Sounds like a way that will work. Especially with setting the hook, cheers dave.

At 5 metre centres you will cover a larger area with the baits too I guess Red.

The line coming off the Kontiki, how long do you think that should be before the first trace? What size sinkers would you recommened and how many?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 11:01am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tow mine out with a kayak and have a 20 metre section without hooks in case I tip out.
I'm not sure what the kontiki guys do.
I'm not sure how heavy the weights are. I use a couple of retangular sinkers about 60 x 40 x 15MM each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 12:31pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers red
You have much luck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 1:24pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a look at Pauls Fishing Kites for some idea's..... & knots to use. The bait will drag just can't help it.

I tied knots in mine when I had one. The 1st Hundred meters was bare then a knot every metre for the next 300. Then clip on a trace every 2/3 knots. Trace would run between the knots. Never used a Kite just the Yellow plastic 3metre bag.

Goodluck

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:24pm
Gold
Gold

This is the very quick 1st attempt. Top dazzle bit is flotation.  Motor, batteries and timer all in the bottom piece with weight to sink it. Waiting for sealant to dry to take it to the beach and see if she floats... fingers crossedLOL

We thought we'd make a rough one first to see if would even work, then develop it :-)

Think it'll work?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

looks like a goer outboard. I normally do a 40 mtr section at the knotiki before starting to attach traces. youll never stop baits dragging though. have never used lumo beads or floats on ones I have had in the past.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:45pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We catch a few snaps, gurnard, rig, kahawai etc down here, during summer. Average about 5 fish per 2 hour set. In winter we'll get full hooks of bloody red cod and spiney dogs so we don't bother!

It's a great way to spend time with the kids at the beach! We could increase our results if we fished the evenings and early mornings, however for us it's all about friends and family playing at the beach.

Put a flag on that OP to make it more visable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:49pm
Gold
Gold

Thats still on the shopping list! haha How long is the normal time to keep it out before pulling back in. I would imagine it will take 1/2 hour or so to pull the line right out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davethefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

as red rabbit said, a good 2 hour set should be right, specially if you get it out around a k and leave it over change of tide.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ropo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:55pm
ropo101 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

im putting one off eastern beach late tommorow afo, if you are local pop down have have a look.
V8 Super Cars are back,Go the holdens!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:56pm
Gold
Gold

Sweet guys, thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 9:36pm
Gold
Gold

Well the first test...

Worked well, will just need to ake the top flotation longer for a little more bouyancy. Its sits pretty perfect now, but with the added weight of the long line it will probably pull the back down making it drive up not along.

Red - when towing with your kayak is there much drag?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 6:49am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hell yes! When you're 1000m out it's quite a weight.
Once you've dropped the weights you feel like you'e turbo powered coming back in.