AUCKLAND VIS/LATEST DIVE

Page  <1 470471472
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 10:45am
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

came across a hammerhead at Little Barrier on Saturday, first one i've seen in NZ. anyone else come across them at all or very often??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 2:17pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I see them a fair bit in the kayak during summer. Places like leigh reef, ti point etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 2:38pm
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

right, thats interesting. i spend a lot of time through the year at leigh diving/fishing the same areas and see loads of bronzies, some six gillers, caught a few juvenile makos but never seen a hammer until now... 
do they give your kayak any niggle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:37pm
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone diving on monday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Chrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 2:18pm
Blue Chrome View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Monday 13th Feb, we plan on towing our boat from Auckland to Mangawhai, then launching & heading to Hen & Chicks.

There's space for one or two more spearos; give us a call on 021-215-1350 for details.

Regards,

Mike.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 2:52pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by LC LC wrote:

right, thats interesting. i spend a lot of time through the year at leigh diving/fishing the same areas and see loads of bronzies, some six gillers, caught a few juvenile makos but never seen a hammer until now... 
do they give your kayak any niggle?
Nah, but then I don't use bait or berley. When I see them they are usually basking on the surface and the swim away when they see me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:15pm
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone keen for a shorey wednesday morning? ti or leigh maybe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 12:55pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Right been waaaaaaayyy too long since I got wet so I've taken two weeks off. Available for spearing missions all week 13/3/17 to 19/3/17. Also considering doing a shorey up Leigh ways on Thursday if anyone is keen? 
Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 5:36pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How many clear days you guys reckon we'll need before half decent viz up at Leigh?
Stupid rain has stuffed my diving this week but hoping to get at least one in before I go back to work on the 20th!!
Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 11:40am
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty messed up now BB. can consider going surfing maybe?
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm
Spearmint View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know what the viz is like around leigh (mathesons or Ti point)? Buzzing to get out but not sure if last weeks rain is still having an impact. 
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 3:24pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

RIP this thread. Was a goodie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 4:44pm
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah it is - what killed this whole forum? is it Facebook?... which i'm unfortunately not on any longer due to the plague of babies on my feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:17pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah FB. 10 000+ people on the spearo forum. Heaps of the oldies from this thread are active on there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 2:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Facebook heroes eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:21pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Facebook Heroes / forum heroes ... same diff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:49am
spearomaniac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Lol great selfie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote B1g_Pun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm
B1g_Pun View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow, this place is still alive(ish). I haven't been here for years!

This used to be a very active forum with lots of regular members. A few years ago spearfishing seemed to become flavour of the month, with every man and his dog getting into the sport. Everyone signed up here and used the forum as a place to gain and share knowledge which was great. The problem was that the huge influx of new divers wanting information on gear, techniques and spots without being willing to put in the mahi wore down the regular guys who went out of their way to help newer guys getting into the sport. Eventually there were too many people asking the same questions and wanting to be spoon fed by some of the country's best divers that it all went tits up.

Many of the guys that used to frequent here are still active divers and part of the FB spearo community, although they are a lot less forthcoming with tips and advice to those who would continue to take without giving back. Most are affiliated with spearfishing clubs and keep their knowledge and guidance to within those circles.

My 2c anyway.
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" William Shakespeare
Page  <1 470471472