AUCKLAND VIS/LATEST DIVE

Page  <1 469470471472>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:54am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey, if you are looking for paua in Auckland then you are probably wasting your time. There are odd spots on the West Coast but your chances of a weather window are slim.

If you really want paua, go to Hawke's Bay or anywhere along that coast down from there to Wellington. Or if you go to wellington I can pretty much guarantee you will get some and there will be good enough weather somewhere for you to get in and get out.

Do you really need your limit though? As said above, make sure you don't have any scuba gear with you or you will be annoying all of us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fuzzybabybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:40pm
fuzzybabybunny View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by FishFingers29 FishFingers29 wrote:

Hey bud,

Ya can't scuba for Paua in NZ, a big no no. And you will certainly be hard pressed to find any around Aucklands water...

Yeah, I know. I meant my freediving gear. I just need to rent a weight belt and I'll be good to go. Scuba isn't allowed in California or Melbourne either where I normally dive for paua (we just call them "abs").

I'm ok with driving maybe two hours to get some paua, IF there's a spot where I'm more or less guaranteed to find some. What I don't want is to drive all that way, suit up, walk, and dive some random spot only to find nothing and waste a whole day, the weight belt hire, and four hour's worth of petrol.

Any specific spots around Mangawhai or Coromandel? I don't have a boat or a 4WD.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fuzzybabybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:46pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Mad Spearo Mad Spearo wrote:

Hey, if you are looking for paua in Auckland then you are probably wasting your time. There are odd spots on the West Coast but your chances of a weather window are slim.

If you really want paua, go to Hawke's Bay or anywhere along that coast down from there to Wellington. Or if you go to wellington I can pretty much guarantee you will get some and there will be good enough weather somewhere for you to get in and get out.

Do you really need your limit though? As said above, make sure you don't have any scuba gear with you or you will be annoying all of us.

Eh, that's a bit far for me. The idea is to get some paua and bring them back to Auckland to share with some friends (non-divers). No scuba, just freediving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mint1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:17pm
mint1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Pm sent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fuzzybabybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 1:56pm
Bronze
Bronze

Would Mathesons Bay be ok? Stay away from the marine reserve of course. Or is that too close to Auckland and would be cleared out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grim Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 7:52pm
Grim Sleeper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Long story short fuzzy there aren't any legal paua close to Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:01am
mario View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Look up Stuart Island....Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Logan540 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 5:26pm
Logan540 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone got a vis report on around the Ahahas or in that general area of late? 

Pretty keen to get out but the vis was crappy a month or so ago

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote joe1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 9:45pm
joe1234 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone got a vis report in leigh or goat island? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:25am
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

vis at ti ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:35pm
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dive castle yesterday, blue water, 15-20m, usual big schools of ky and trev but bit early for kings I think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Chrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:51am
Blue Chrome View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fellow spearos around Auckland.....there's a space or two available on our 5.5 mt, 115 H.P. boat. We plan on resuming outings to Little Barrier etc. as soon as conditions improve. Phone 021-215-1350 for details.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJnatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 8:55am
CJnatan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was very keen to test my newly created UW fishing camera rig after a couple of years of quiet time, so went to Matheson bay|Leigh reef for a very quick dive in the morning(05/01/2017) and here are the results for those who are interested to head out...

Matheson Bay|Daniel Reef|Leigh: Vis was 5-6meters when you are off the rocks, closer to rocks areas, viz was more like 2-4 meters.

Lots of what seemed pan size snappers and Travelly chasing my camera at 12-20meters. When I jumped in, I saw a few rat kingies also.

Southerlies Wind - 15knots - about 0.6 m swell at that point

Have you ever lent someone $20 and never seen that person again? It was probably worth it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 11:07am
TheD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone here dive the manukau?

Went out two days ago and got a few bugs.

Don't really have anyone to go out with, so if anyone needs a partner let me know :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote i-spear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 2:01pm
i-spear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by TheD TheD wrote:

Don't really have anyone to go out with, so if anyone needs a partner let me know :)

I have dived in the Manukau about 3-4 times solo. Its a bit scary to be honest especially solo and only 2-2.5m of Viz. Mostly around Cornwallis southern end.

I have always wanted to dive around Whatipu and collect all the lead sinkers and look for bugs there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:43am
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

not likely to be me joining you sorry, i used to dive Clarks Beach for scallops reasonably regularly, usually in about 0.3m visibility, but promptly gave up after i went for a dive Saturday then on the Monday morning read an article saying two great whites had been caught in the manukau on the sunday by different fishermen about 15km apart but only 30 mins between the catches. i'm quite used to east coast bronzies etc and they don't rattle me at all but f*ck bumping into a white shark in 30cm vis...

Originally posted by i-spear i-spear wrote:

I have dived in the Manukau about 3-4 times solo. Its a bit scary to be honest especially solo and only 2-2.5m of Viz. Mostly around Cornwallis southern end.

I have always wanted to dive around Whatipu and collect all the lead sinkers and look for bugs there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:50am
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

picked up this fella at the Mokes last Saturday which was about the only day this summer without much wind...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:31am
TheD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by fuzzybabybunny fuzzybabybunny wrote:

Would Mathesons Bay be ok? Stay away from the marine reserve of course. Or is that too close to Auckland and would be cleared out?

Heaps of Paua at Little Barrier bro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:39am
TheD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by LC LC wrote:

not likely to be me joining you sorry, i used to dive Clarks Beach for scallops reasonably regularly, usually in about 0.3m visibility, but promptly gave up after i went for a dive Saturday then on the Monday morning read an article saying two great whites had been caught in the manukau on the sunday by different fishermen about 15km apart but only 30 mins between the catches. i'm quite used to east coast bronzies etc and they don't rattle me at all but f*ck bumping into a white shark in 30cm vis...

Originally posted by i-spear i-spear wrote:

@i-spear Yea cornwallis is a pretty good spot. I've only gotten mussels from that southern tip. Seen a few undersized paua though, never anything legal.
That's funny because I'm thinking the exact same thing, I wanna try Boulder Bay next to whatipu. If you're keen to go out, I'd be keen.

@LC yea heard a story of a king tide at that beach and people picking them up walking along with buckets lol.
Yea seen a couple bronzy's and rays while I'm down, still pretty freaky in 1m vis lol. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 10:49am
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

all undersized by a couple of cm that i've come across

QUOTE=TheD]
Originally posted by fuzzybabybunny fuzzybabybunny wrote:

Heaps of Paua at Little Barrier bro
[/QUOTE]
Page  <1 469470471472>