AUCKLAND VIS/LATEST DIVE

Page  <1234 472>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:11pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

picked that up around mathesons. A few smaller models around, perhaps up to 2kg but this was the biggest so ate the metal. Viz around 3m-5m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:16pm
olenz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish Thumbs Up

did you mean Mathesons?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:19pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You must have been at Great Barrier PaulB. Everyone knows you only find snappers at the barrier...Wink
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:19pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice crays olenz. looks like you had a beaut day with a variety. just in time for bbq season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:20pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

olenz, that is a damn good haul mate. Been to omaha the other and was dead. Nothing there.

Are you talking about Kahawai when you mention the spotted ones maybe?
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:58pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting some good practice I see Paul. 

Olenz, I don't believe your location, I mean, yea, nah, can't believe ya....Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 9:13pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

TG - for a walking blow job, you have a lot to say.
However you are right. I only bump into snapper in areas with an extraordinarily high volume and even then I struggle.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 9:25pm
Fishoholic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good to see your keeping the butter population in check at omaha Olenz LOL Those butters there know you by a first name basis by now dont they??

Nice work on the trev, crays n paua Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 10:31pm
olenz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by TG TG wrote:

Are you talking about Kahawai when you mention the spotted ones maybe?

nah, I know what kahawai looks like. it was some kind of mackerel, just not sure if koheru is the same thing. there are some with black back, and some ones with spots all over, same shape but different colors.

Originally posted by Fishoholic Fishoholic wrote:

Those butters there know you by a first name basis by now dont they??

I'm sure they do LOL. Just had some smoked. Nice! However - still heaps of them there and still no sharks after me. Am I pushing it? 
Saw lot of long tail stingrays this time. There were always lot of stingrays at omaha, but this time unusual number of small ones with 2 meter tails. Was so tempting to get one by the tail but my camera box was borrowed from me for the weekend and if would have been a waste doing it without filming...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 10:38pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Koheru have a yellow band down there side, with a black dot near the gill plate.

Jack macks are more silver looking.

Slimmy macks, are sort of green with black tiger patterns over them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 10:52pm
olenz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Rusky, it's good to know. 

Googled both jack macks and koheru and they are not quite it. If I search for just mackerel some pictures look very close to what I met. May be they were slimmy jacks but i could not find a picture.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:00pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rusky are you in hardcore study mode?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:05pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think Slimmy Macks are known as Blue Macks, correct me if im wrong.

Not a baitfish you normally see.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:06pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Paul B Paul B wrote:

Rusky are you in hardcore study mode?

Yea, trying....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:09pm
Silver
Silver

I have never tryd butter smoked always just fry them, good to hear its nice!! thats cool I bet Slimmy jack macks would look wicked under water. I caught my biggest snapper idiot sticking with one when I was about 15, nice oily flesh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:16pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had some of herby's smoked Doggie today, I rate it pretty good! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:19pm
olenz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yep, that slimmy looks like the one. I thought they were spotty but looking at the pic I think I just took curvy stripes for the spots. the bigger ones were around may be 30-35 cm or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:26pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heres a better pic:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:32pm
Silver
Silver

yum, u got any left?? we cud have a shared lunch before we get smashed on tuesday hahah.

screw u uni 4 years of my life that I cant really remember
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:36pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only got a taste test.

You'll have to hit herby up on that one...
Page  <1234 472>