Tarakihi fishing

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anglebox64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarakihi fishing
    Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 7:14pm
anglebox64 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hello all well i have to say theres this guy at my work i wont say his name as he may well read these messages
but wanting to say he fishs out from whangmata and has been catching his limit on tarakihis most weekends and wont tell me where he fishes just that its close to whangamata so what im asking is can anyone point me in the general area that i could try for some of these fish and maybe some snappers as im over fishing the mussel farms now also would my little sea nymph be ok for out that way any info is much appreciated thanks in advance cliff aka AB64
fords the best F##k the rest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 8:27pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get a spot 'X' book or map and look for spots at around 30m to 50m (in winter) use flasher rigs with 2/0-3/0 hooks can get some made specially for tarakihi use salted pipis or squid and a 4-6 oz sinker depending on current burly up and you should be good.
Your boat should be fine as long as its reliable just keep a good eye on the weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 8:43pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Tarakihi have very small mouths so I'd suggest a couple of sizes smaller in the hook dept.
ie., 1/0 max for BoP tarakihi.
As Mr D says, start looking for sign around the 30 + mtr mark.
If you find the fish & anchor over them, berley shouldn't be necessary.
Besides, who wants 'cutta's joining the party?LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 10:42pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi  Angle box  I will check my GPS tomorrow and send you the marks, your boat will be sweet as it is only about  15-20mins down the coast in about 36meters of water, having been getting our limit for 3 people in 3-4 hrs. Plus we got some Snapper last trip biggest just over 3kg good for by catch same spot as Tarakihi.  This weekend will be fairly busy at Whangamata as the Marina is opening on Thursday so Im guessing there will be a lot of people around and with the long weekend as well.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 7:42am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Anglebox.......... go out to 30m mark and you willl be in mateWink terakhi everywhere.
Ngapita, hikurangi, petleys, big Hic, little Hic, rubble all fishing well for terakhi and the odd good snapper.(most of those marks are south of Whangamata, off Whiritoa) Rubble is out the back of 3rd island.
Goodluck
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChchLivebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 8:07am
ChchLivebait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out to Taylors mistake in Christchurch on Wednesday and caught 2 Terakihi which was a shock, first time I have ever caught on. The fight was great, but short and sweet. The larger one was 45cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:05am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by ChchLivebait ChchLivebait wrote:

Went out to Taylors mistake in Christchurch on Wednesday and caught 2 Terakihi which was a shock, first time I have ever caught on. The fight was great, but short and sweet. The larger one was 45cm.

Tarakihi or porae?  They don't seem to have the black bar behind the gill plates.

Cheers.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:25am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Sure look like Porae to me.
Chlb, did you catch them from the shore? Near kelp?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:29am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah those are Blue Moki, not Tarakihi.

Don't reckon you get Porae that far south either...

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChchLivebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:33am
ChchLivebait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Caught them off the rocks, just drop line straight down in about 3 metres of water. It would be great if someone to tell me exactly what these are, I did think they were Terakihi but I could stand corrected.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:42am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:52am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done UncleClap

Never heard of Tarakihi from the rocks eitherWink
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritual Groove Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 10:02am
Ritual Groove Meister View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We catch King terakihi in close to shore, and they get to a reasonable size. The king terkihi are a different relative of the normal terakihi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritual Groove Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 11:41am
Ritual Groove Meister View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Blue Moki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 12:04pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yeah yeah yeah, I've got fixated on porae of late. 

Blue moki.  Gotta story about PJay Wife nabbing one of them, too - off the Tolaga Bay wharf, so heavy she couldn't lift it up from the water.

We often used to catch porae when after tarakihi in the Bay of Plenty, very rarely moki on a line.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anglebox64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 5:32pm
Gold
Gold

cool thanks for all the info guys looks like i might have to hitch y=the boat on the wagon and join the bline too whangas or should i wait till next weekend when theres no so many boats and bods about lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 7:18pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you got a gps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 8:00pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Kina Nabiru Kina Nabiru wrote:

We catch King terakihi in close to shore, and they get to a reasonable size. The king terkihi are a different relative of the normal terakihi.

The 1996 journal article (Smith, Roberts, McVeagh & Benson) discussing the genetic differences between the one and the other spells it "tarakihi".

You get 50%.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anglebox64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 8:51pm
Gold
Gold

no gps yet havent got the funds at this time but will try any thing from viewing land marks etc if thats a good sort of reading like they did in the old school days lol but can get a hand held gps if i take my mate with me thats one good perk from hin there Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 9:10pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Definitely moki mate,
I went for a swim around to the left side of taylors in the weekend.
Missed a shot at the bigger one you caught.

You better drop it around at my place Wink
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Page  12>