A mildly positive start to the new season...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A mildly positive start to the new season...
    Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 10:50pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been amping for the season to open for a fair while. Mainly because I've been having truly rotten luck in the few open winter waters. So it was with more than a little bit of excitement that I awaited my trip with Andrew (curly25) into a mysterious location in the South Island that most of you will probably recognise anyway. If you recognise it then don't broadcast it, just keep it to yourselves.  I was a little worried because I knew that Friday night was going to be a large night and that I wouldn't get much sleep/sobreity...so the 5am wake up was a little daunting. But I managed to rouse myself, pack my bag and make it out to the car. Thankfully I didn't have to drive. Adrenaline and excitement kept me conscious for the first hour or two, though I'm not sure I'd have been the best conversation for Andrew. I had a cheeky doze in the car, and then we arrived at our destination. Out to stretch the legs and then straight on with the packs and up the track we head. The track follows a river that looked promising, but wasn't reputed to be up to much. Still, as human nature (or at least those of mad keen fishos) is we couldn't resist having a peek. It was clearly running a lot higher and faster than usual, but thankfully it was still clear. At our first stop I notice a shape in the water...then it swings left...then right...actively feeding. It looks about 2-3lbs, perfect to start of the season with. On with a dry and dropper (Glister Nymph under a Royal Wulff). First I throw a cast out wide, but it doesn't notice it...then closer, until WHAM. Indicator drops and I strike hard into a fish...which jumps...showing its full 5-6lbs... and then promptly spits the hook. The whole thing happened so fast that looking back I wonder if the hook ever actually hooked up, or if the trouts mouth had just closed around the fly. Anyway, needless to say I was absolutely gutted... I haven't had a good run lately, and this just compounded my feelings. We didn't see anything for a fair while after that, so we rejoined the track and slogged our way up for 20 mins or so until a nice break appears. Out into the river we jump, rods out and armed. Two braids ran side by side separated by a small grass bank. We each prospected up a braid. I had about given up hope in mine... oh one last cast... and the indicator drops in that slow way that always means a snag... Reactions have me striking anyway...and yup, feels like a snag. Until of course it decided to storm madly downstream... I managed to get my line onto the reel without too much drama, then it was just me v fish. He was a sly chap and tried to take me under an undercut bank on a couple of occasions before jumping up into the air. Looked to be a good fish...little did we know... Managed to get him pretty much under control in the shallows, but he kept surging out. Finally got him in real close and Andrew netted him. Man oh man was this a good fish.

9.5lbs of backcountry brown.

The scales to prove it...

The water it was taken from...

Well after that I was absolutely shaking. Just couldn't believe it. Before that my pb was about 7lbs, so this was a really serious improvement. First fish for the season at 9.5lbs, stoked! The photos really don't do it justice, the depth and breadth of the fish was just out of this world. Well after that we headed back up the river, but couldn't get into anything, despite Andrew covering some real nice pocket water. We basically just headed up to the lake after that. When we got there the weather was not so friendly, and we bunkered down in the hut for an hour until the weather eased off. Well it didn't ease off much, we were still fishing in the rain and snow and hail. It was kinda ridiculous really. Andrew fished a floating line with an olive woolly bugger, whilst I fished a sinking line with an olive booby that I tied up. After ten minutes, just when the cold had about got the best of me, I felt a really strong tug on the line and I was soon connected to a gorgeous rainbow. It was a really really scrappy fish and took a good long time to get in. When we got it to the net it turned out to be...

A perfect 4.5lb rainbow...

Released him, then headed back out and within 5 minutes, when it was well and truly hailing, I got another hard take. This time a slightly weaker fight, but still a really nice fish of almost exactly 4lbs.

4lb Rainbow....

Well that was it for the day fish wise. We had a few more casts later on, until exhaustion and alcohol got the better of us and we retired to bed very early. Up at 7 the next morning and out on the lake to try spot some cruising trout. Sadly we couldn't see anything, so we came back for a big bowl of porridge. Then back out onto the lake and back round the edges. The weather today was a lot nicer than the previous day, but the fish weren't quite so responsive. I got one strike, but it didn't hook up. Kinda drifted into a nice little routine, but that was interrupted when Andrew shouted out "I got one, MAN" or something to that effect. Really hard fighting fish that took some bloody long runs. Eventually a 5lb bow was brought to the net

The photo really doesn't do it justice as this fish carried its weight in its breadth and depth rather than length. Andrew was fricken buzzing after this catch. In fact I bet he's still buzzing! I know I am.

Just as we were about to leave the lake for the hut we saw a few fish cruising, made a cast to one of them...and Bang. Really hard fight with a lot of strong runs. A 5lb Bow brought to the net.

5lb Bow.

This proved to be the last fish for the weekend. We walked out that afternoon with only a few little looks at the river on the way down. Overall we caught 6 fish for a total of 30lbs, so an average of 5lbs each. It was a really fantastic weekend and great to spend it with a really good guy.

Hope all of you guys had equally successful opening weekends!

Jack/TheBadger

P.S. MICE...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 1:17am
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice report and photos badger. Even the rotten weather makes me wish I was home!!! Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 2:11am
tmmo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done mate, that is an awsome start to the year! I love the brown, beautiful colours!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Butthead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 5:30pm
Butthead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Congrats on the 9.5lb! What a beauty!
Good to hear someone had some success.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jade1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:13pm
jade1337 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice report man!!

some nice fish 2!

me & mike went down to the wainui yesterday and today, nothing though.
i couldin't fish the wainui for the 1st and second day's..
no leader and mum wouldint take me to h & f -.-

anyone hope to get a few thru out the season.

cheers, jade.
trout from wainui river this season: 0/3
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jade1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:14pm
jade1337 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice report man!!

some nice fish 2!

me & mike went down to the wainui yesterday and today, nothing though.
i couldin't fish the wainui for the 1st and second day's..
no leader and mum wouldint take me to h & f -.-

anyway hope to get a few thru out the season.

cheers, jade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:14pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Congrat mate well done o the pbThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jade1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:21pm
jade1337 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sorry posted twice :S
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luderick -angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:45pm
luderick -angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fished the Wainui and blanked there were very few fish to be seen it's not looking good in there, Badger any tips for some lake fishing down your way will be there end of Novemeber and I sm looking for a river mouth with nice wed beds etc with a nice moderate flow any recomendations?
I support any team thats playing against the Aussies in any sport!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 5:43pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe try the Ryton or Harper in Lake Coleridge. I'm far from an expert on these lakes though, so someone else will probably be much better placed to advise you. Hmmm hopefully the Wainui picks up when I get back...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luderick -angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:06pm
Silver
Silver

Will do thanks as for the Wainui don't hold your breath there were'nt even any sea runners at the mouth!

It looks as thought the numbers are down heard there ws a bit of poaching going on over there thru the close season!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:48pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dam...******* poaching from there. It's still early in the season for Sea-runners. I'm confident that it'll be all good/I'm praying. That place is my mecca...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luderick -angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 6:15am
Silver
Silver

So am I so am I.....................heres hoping!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 11:11am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unfortunatley the Wainui has been poached for as long as I can remember and mostly by the land owners / farmers who have raparian rights, over the years we have seen nets across the river, impossible to prosecute without evidence though. It's a sad reality and farmers aren't generally reknowned for their conservation nous! The fish will still bounce back, it's an amazing fishery the Wainui considering it's geographic location and holds some excellent sized fish, I have personally seen a 9lber and a 7.5lber come from t in recent years and countless 4-5lb fish.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 11:53am
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by luderick -angler luderick -angler wrote:

I fished the Wainui and blanked there were very few fish to be seen it's not looking good in there, Badger any tips for some lake fishing down your way will be there end of Novemeber and I sm looking for a river mouth with nice wed beds etc with a nice moderate flow any recomendations?

Depending on water levels the Lake Coleridge would possibly fit the bill- it's a productive lake but is exposed to any hint of wind. There are a lot of smaller tarn type lakes in the main basins that are a lot more manageble including a couple of trophy fish waters- I mostly fish the lakes come November 7 so PM me and I'll put you onto a couple. Most of the smaller lakes are pretty much all litoral so it's sight fishing mostly. Start tieing beetles and damsel nymphs also some size 12-14 beadheads and you'll be set.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 12:29pm
mike555 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome report
Thanks for that, really makes me want to get out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 12:41pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last summer I consistently caught 6-7lb fish in it...I even saw one which would've gone double figures.  so I'm really desperate for it to be good when I'm back there.