InDepth freediving courses

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: InDepth freediving courses
    Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:11pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There ain't no advanced freedive training in NZ so I thought I'd put all this comp diving experience of mine to use. I've come up with a name that follows the usual marketing rules of punning compound words, written up a great big course manual and put together a curriculum.

The course leans towards the intermediate/advanced side of things and is more focused on deep diving than the pool disciplines so would suit spearos pretty well. Covers the usual important stuff like safety, physiology, equalising and technique. Plus some interesting bits and pieces like chest flexibility; mouthfill equalising and packing; exhale dives etc.

website is: www.indepth.net.nz, bit rudimentary at present but has all the basics. I'll be adding to it and shuffling things around over the next week or so.

I've just been down in Christchurch to give seminars on freediving at the outdoors expo, caught up with some forum members which was pretty cool. We'll be running a couple of courses down in Chch and Nelson later this Spring, both through Awesome Scuba and at a reduced rate ($380). Dates are Nov 27-29 and and Dec 11-13 in Christchurch, Dec 4-6 in Nelson. If anybody on the mainland wants to jump on these courses you can pm or email me: [email protected]

We'll be doing at least one course up in Wellington early next year (late Jan?), Tauranga and Auckland a bit later on. Other big plans too like a focused depth course in Taupo and something over in Rarotonga, but nothing concrete yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 9:50pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would be a starter for the intermediate course in Wellington.

I don't entirely meet the prerequisites but I shall try not to drown and promise to smoke downwind

Geofinz would probably be happy for our boat to be used on the Sunday too if you need it. You know there is a pretty sheltered 30 meter hole in the harbor near Kau Point?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:26pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would also be very keen on the intermediate course in wellys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 10:33pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Orsome, I'll let you know when we have a date set. If anybody here in Welly is worried about the prerequisites you can just join me for a pool session or two ahead of the course, they'll be easy to meet with a bit of guidance. Not that I'm too worried about them anyway if you've done heaps of spearfishing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 10:10am
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hmmm... I feel an advance Xmas pressie coming on in the form of that ChCh course.  Will certainly help me to make the best of the new year trip to the North Island.

Nice one Mullins. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 4:41pm
Crippy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm keen sounds like good fun.  I can do the 50m 50% of the time with and without fins.time to start saving
Go hard or die trying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 12:02pm
Tall stories View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Myself and another should be keen early next year we both would be an in between of both cses pre reqs so will proberly go with the intermediate cse. Might have to skimp on christmas prezzys this year LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DaveSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 9:55am
DaveSnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is a "Medical certificate of non-contraindication for diving"?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 10:59am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

'Non-contraindication' is just a fancy term for 'nothing medical that'd stop you from freediving'. So it's a quick check from a dive doc to confirm that your ears, chest, heart etc are all ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McKoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 4:04pm
McKoy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like the site Dave, could be keen for the "deep freediver" course... any dates confirmed yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 9:56am
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mullins I'd be another starter for an intermediate course in Wellington. btw UncleJake will have no problem with the prereqs except if liver failure is a contraindication.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 11:33pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Liver! What liver?

Could an absence of previously grey hair be a contraindication...........?

Anyway, it sounds like there are a few fine fellows keen for the late January course in Wellington. It will be awesome to train and learn with a few of the regulars on this forum.

I must confess to an unexplainable (and inexplicable?) desire to swim to 31 meters down into the salt and back alive. If I croak then Geofinz gets half the boat so perhaps I could have a different safety diver?

He eez moi contraindication non?

Note the croak and French accent innuendo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 8:36am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tell you what, leave me your new riffe and I'll get you down to 35m Tongue.

How does 30th/31st Jan sound for an Intermediate spearo course, with Feb 13/14 as the contingency day for open water in case Welly weather gets in the way? I'll put it up on the site and see if we can get numbers; I'd run it with only 6.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 8:37am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it's Contgrrraeendeecasssyon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 11:58am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The weekend of 30th January 2010 suits perfectly.

Merci.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 1:49pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yea that weekend is good for me too - Ive got a couple of mates not on the forum who sounded pretty keen as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 3:22pm
Oli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Dave I would be keen as well for the intermediate course. I guess if you want to run courses with only 6 people, then you are going to have most of your weekends busy to accomodate everyone Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 5:55pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Naa just saying we'd only need 6 to make it viable. Could go up to 10 Big smile 

If anybody has ideas about dive locations off the welly coast then let me know. My current thinking is that Lyall Bay Wide will be a good spot. It's scattered low-lying foul so you can anchor and stay put. You can get close to 40m there and the times I've dived it there's been almost no current. And we could hang a burley pot off the baseplate to see what arrives...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 8:39pm
Crippy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds good and the idea of a contingency date is a good one I'm finding this Wellington weather to be less than predictable.
Go hard or die trying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 10:24am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best wishes for the inaugural course this weekend Mullins
Page  123 4>