Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <12345 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellybait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:07pm
smellybait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

mate just wait until  this snotty stuff buggars off and it's  on\...... crays and fish being caught but the conditions are crap... will send you a PM when I reckon its on.... two days notice OK.... or more.... you are a worker unlike EKO who fishes at will...... hehehehe ClapWaving SB
If all you have got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 4:32pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Redemption today, left home before the sun came up shot over to the power station for a couple of drifts past the buoy, a few nibbles but no luck.

Went straight out to the 20-22 meter mark there was sign all over the sounder dropped the soft bait over wack whoohoo she's on first fish 5 pound's, still drifting a long wack 2nd fish 10 poundsBig smile ...then more and more and more.......5 fish in less than 5 min's.

So I just keep drifting down to waipu soft baits are getting nailed, the wind pick's up the fish are still running.

Time to anchor up & have a break....beer time, chuck a pilly on the rod bang..dam barr'ers are around. Oh well back up to the power station to dift back down again the fish are every where.

Happened to of lose some bloody good size fish, love to hear that softbait reel screaming its head offThumbs Up

Any color soft bait was working, nukes, & what ever else I was using. Catchalot should up load my photos I hope? my house camera is having a fit.

Its not about the size of your boat! "But how you use it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 6:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done mate, and it was great to get a txt after every fish was caught whilst workin...Not!Cry

Hope the beer was warmLOL

Phone Pics below...Clap

The above has two tens two five pounders and some...

(I will be paid to add those comments and tell the audience eh Dave...ya skitin'*****LOL)
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChchLivebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:02pm
ChchLivebait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, comming up to Whangarei late next month for a few weeks, will be staying with family at Parua bay, any ideas for places to fish from the rocks or other land based areas. I will be getting on the water when my brother isn't working but really want to catch my first snapper, a real South Islander hereThumbs Up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:25pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Stuff the rocks bring your boat rod's up we can get you on the water, why walk when you can cruise.
 If you come out with me on my boat, half the size....Fishing for fun not for comfortWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChchLivebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:29pm
ChchLivebait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the offer, I am keen, I will borrow my brothers rods if I need some. PM me and we can swap numbers. This is my boat in christchurch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:50pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chch, the good news is that EKO/Dave's on holiday as well - well at least that's what catchelot and I think given the number of texts during the week :(
As Dave said, PM your moby number and we are bound to get you out on the Briny!
Cheers
T
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:27pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice report eko that gurnard looks prety solid aswell mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hohepa2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 11:41pm
hohepa2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool reports guys, keep it up, get out there and go hard when the weather alows...Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 2:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More phone sex from EKO the buggar Cry, they are drifting around Waipu area and off Power station 20 metres of water...

Results so far one 10lb, two 8's, a big JD and a few smaller snapper, all caught on the Nukes, it is a gusty SW and cold out there he reckons.

Well done lads, go hardClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 3:53pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm jealous as. Approve

Thursday looks like a cracker, for those that can get time off work and are in the top half of the North Island. Cry
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 4:14pm
rocko View Drop Down

he,s fkn mad the plikLOL i seen what the water was like up there this morning...beats working anyhowLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 4:54pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

More phone sex from EKO the buggar Cry, they are drifting around Waipu area and off Power station 20 metres of water...

Results so far one 10lb, two 8's, a big JD and a few smaller snapper, all caught on the Nukes, it is a gusty SW and cold out there he reckons.

Well done lads, go hardClap

Yes just got back in man it's cold on the water wearing shorts & t-shrits, but still we had a lucky day off so I asked the worker if he wanted to fish or work around home....
We would of been able to pick up a bin load of fish if the 15knots wasn't so strong , there are some good size fish around at the mo, I had to give me worker a 2 min heads up on how to soft bait, he lost the first fish with the line screaming out hard LOL, but after the next two fish he knew what to do great effort on his behalf.

Roll on Saturday looks like another break in the mid/winter weather.

The Jd came in at just 2kg's yummy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:04pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gat a bloody job EKO!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 11:20pm
rocko View Drop Down

good one manThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 5:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I caught a few fish yesterday, one of the Snapper Yday just over legal about 30 cms maybe 32...

Anyway upon carve up time I was stunned to see that it had roe and not tiny ones either, so what age do snapper reproduce?

I was told about 6-8yrs, and that a legal 27cm snapper was around 4-6 years old. And so for that reason I/We generally elect a no take on my boat or mates boats of 32-34cm.

This morning I had a quick weather window to put another hours running on the new Merc.
Timing wasn't the best as Grandpopa wanted to drag his new scallop dredge, whereas Nana said no she did not want to be part of the crew to reciprocate more scallops and a huge fight erupted... Nana won and stayed home, and I had to take grumpy ole Poppa out for a fishThumbs Down maybe this transversed and set off the Vanuatu TsunamiLOL

Anyway managed 2 Snaps for my folks. Ok only 30's (and lotsa throwbacks) but they will enjoy tonight... and these had the male white gonad bits happening on their insides this morning...

So to me this is interesting to note the breeding bits in these small fish of perhaps 6-8 years.

IMO 27cm is too small, 32 maybe...and of course when we have mint days then 40's are to small, and then 50 and some...

Small food for thought, I will have YMCA for tea tonight...Yesterdays Meat Cooked Again...LOL nah all in humour... yesterdays Gurnard for us.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 8:06pm
EKO View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet one Al at lest you got out today the weather looked great and the water looked even better were I was working, just got told by the owners I could park the boat up at there house & bugger off for a fish Tongue

It'll be a case of fish Vs Work for 3 weeksLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 4:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

An alledged 20 pounda Snapper was weighed in at Ruakaka Service Station, was caught at Waipu, so probably over the sand! Bloody well doneClap

Dave...have you heard anything else?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 3:48pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Decided to make a late afternoon solo run having taken the kids to the rugger in the avro.
No burley in the freezer so just some pillies, softies (ahh yes, having shifted, it pays to check the tackle box - no jig heads and 1 worm hook...) and jigs (for work ups).
Shot out to a 25m spot and drifted inwards towards the golf course. Plenty of sign but not much in the way of bitie bitie. Got a small panny on bait that went back to the big fella.
Moved to a rock that has produced this time of year. Too much sign but all off the bottom by a bout 5m and lots of pillie schools. Wind had completely died away so drifting very slowly. Dropped some pillie chunks as burley and then the bloody birds turned up. Had to resort to plastic pellets to make them leave me alone.
Cyclops, baits and SBs here for a few touchs and a couple of pannies (30-35cm). Being the optimist, put them back as well - DOH! But it was glorious - no wind, sun setting, the odd gloop as a gannet dived in - see photo...
So no luck there so into 14m and no luck.
Back to 20-25m.
Two small pannies at once and "Yuss! Its gonna go off". Put them back <= Dickhead!
Then the wind built, it got cold and there were no more fish. So headed home to score brownie points ("bring home chocolate please").\
Drinking beer by 21.45, smile on the dial Smile
Didnt see any workups, just solitary gannets piling in from height.
But damn, it felt GOOD!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 4:45pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went with a different mate yesterday as he wanted to see what the harbour was doing...

14 - 15 degrees was filthy and just bait fish and throw back snaps some legal but not for us.

We went from Munro, Reotahi, Tamaterau to Limestone.

So, not the best of a mish but awesome morning until the cold Sou'Wester got up.

Steve just txt'd he went Ruakaka area and 'Ole Woman today and nothing worth bringin home.

Oh well bad days are what keep us coming back...
Page  <12345 129>