Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 116117118119120 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Parua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 5:59pm
Parua View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Originally posted by Parua Brae Parua Brae wrote:

Mb are you on a jet ski?

Yep Smile

Was wondering if it was you last Sunday. We're you the jet ski near the boat with the 5ft mako leaping around. Looked quite close.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not me. There's quite a few jetski fishos in Whangarei now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Parua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
Parua View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No worries, they're was a couple more just out a bit. Looked a bit intense for this guy with the Mako trying to jump him lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 3:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brilliant morning for us, limit of snapper by 10.30am and last fish of the day took 30 mins, nice king on silly string and a softee. Home by lunchtime. Clap

Pics up later...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Morgs122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 5:07pm
Morgs122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work mate. What area you fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In Bream Bay at 3 mile now. Not much happening for anyone by the looks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 12:22pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out again Monday for a great mixed bag.
A Gurnard, a blue cod, 7 snapper, and a nice king that was smoking the 15lb set up!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 2:04pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out in harbor today and it was bad all the fish must have been taken by the AKERS.
1 at 34 for sashimi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 4:22pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great post mate and great photos. We haven't been out yet this spring but suddenly feeling inspired, wife too! So hope we can nip out next week. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:08pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cracking trip yesterday. Finally got in to some mackerel (favoured eating fish in our house), plus the usual suspects 😀

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:53pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fat looking fishBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:55pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, good condition Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done MBClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Parua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:57pm
Parua View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome Mac. What's the trick to then. Pretty rare for me in the past
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:27pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cracking trip yesterday. Finally got in to some mackerel (favoured eating fish in our house), plus the usual suspects 😀

Good fish mate. Was this in the harbour or out around the heads?

Have you taken the Ski around Tutukaka area, had any luck there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Parua Brae Parua Brae wrote:

Awesome Mac. What's the trick to then. Pretty rare for me in the past

Main problem is finding them. Usual stuff gives them away, workups, birds etc, but they are often moving very fast. Occasionally, I come across huge schools with no indications on the surface. 

Hooking them is straightforward, they seem to take any small lure. I use micro jigs because they are part of my regular arsenal. 

They have a habit of falling off the hook right at the boat which is frustrating. I recommend netting them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:02pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Good fish mate. Was this in the harbour or out around the heads?

Have you taken the Ski around Tutukaka area, had any luck there?

Between 3 Mile Reef and the Hen & Chicks. 

I've launched the ski a few times from Tutukaka and done good. When I bought it 5.5 years ago, thought I'd be going here, there and everywhere. Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga, West Coast etc. Turns out fishing in my backyard is pretty good, so seems silly to waste time and fuel going further afield. I used to live in Ngunguru, so did lots of kayak fishing out of Tutukaka. No shortage of fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top effort MB
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to live in Ngunguru, so did lots of kayak fishing out of Tutukaka. No shortage of fish. 

Oh you lucky bugga. Not much work there though?

The Mrs wants a jetski, Ive been trying to explain to her how they are not practical for 2 fishing/diving off one. But 1 up they look brilliant.

We have been weighing up our final destination, at the moment its between WhangHeads/Tutukaka and KeriKeri. For the same reasons you mentioned, can get to any of the glorious spots in the north. Whangarei has really progressed from being a bit not so desirable 25 years ago, I think that whole harbour side and walk gentrification has really done it some good. New Plymouth same thing happened. I really like the Tut coast, one prestigious magazine had it as 2nd best coastline in the world. 

Im trying to figure out best spots for kings in whangarei, i see buoy numbers etc but they dont seem to match up with the wetmaps etc. Ive been out the chicks a number of times over the years but not knowing where you are going never helps. Im more knowledgeable with the Rodney coasts. 

Truely makes Jetski fishing look fun when you see catches like this. If we got one it would be a non turbo that I can work on myself. I was thinking either an Fxho or a Seadoo 155.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:06pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MB did you try the blue mack as Sashimi?, poor man's bluefin if treated and prep'd right.

Grand smoked also...Clap
Page  <1 116117118119120 129>