Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 105106107108109 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Hard day on the water for us yesterday, was a small tide and bite time, we worked the Waipu river reef close to the high, water temp not changed in a month 17 deg, as in, SW'ers. Anchored and berleyed as well over the tide, worked hard softeeing and dragging kaburas and straylined baits, 8 snaps and a gurnard.

Purse Seiner seen at McGregors rock, coming in to off load Whg Hbr, boo!Cry

You were too late Al LOL

I probably had the most intense snapper fishing session ever! 12 fish in 12 casts. I even resorted to trolling to try and not catch a snapper, but that didn't work! A lot of effort for 1 hour of fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:02am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Hard day on the water for us yesterday, was a small tide and bite time, we worked the Waipu river reef close to the high, water temp not changed in a month 17 deg, as in, SW'ers. Anchored and berleyed as well over the tide, worked hard softeeing and dragging kaburas and straylined baits, 8 snaps and a gurnard.

Purse Seiner seen at McGregors rock, coming in to off load Whg Hbr, boo!Cry

Any idea what a purse seiner would be targeting at McGregors rock,especially at this time of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Blue mackerel. Multiple purse seiners, spotter planes, the works. They get hammered. Very sad. Apart from the fact that we enjoy catching and eating them, knocking a link out of the bottom of the food chain cannot be a good thing for the fishery as a whole.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:28pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Blue mackerel. Multiple purse seiners, spotter planes, the works. They get hammered. Very sad. Apart from the fact that we enjoy catching and eating them, knocking a link out of the bottom of the food chain cannot be a good thing for the fishery as a whole.

Yep Jack Mackeral also, I wonder if they round up the Trevally schools around the Chicks alsoCry
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am shocked the Greens ain't all over this.

The values go out the window once in power, they won't have a enviromental moral leg to stand on in future elections. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They're too busy trying to eradicate trout, deer and tahr, and all the other animals that make NZ a great place to live. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:55pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks MB . So its Blue mackeral. Explains alot. Used to catch them alot in the inner gulf. But no more ,havent seen one in a long time. Now i know why.

They probably dont get the chance to get down this far. Great sport and eating fish.
Hard to find much info on them except 1991-92, 15000 T taken . 2014, 9124 T. Seems they are fished as a fill in from July until the higher value Skipjack turn up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:15am
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

well done Andrew. wish I had come now...  usuall spot was it??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:31am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:51am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whole Blue Mackeral in Hamilton PnS $-10.95, Snapper $9.95!!
They are delicious fish and well worth big bucks but they used to be way cheaper - maybe it's the rarity value??
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:57am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One from the other day. I get more excited about them than snapper or kingfish! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:43pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Launched from Marsden today and fished softies with advice from Catchelot. Mostly fished around Smugglers and Peach.
Not a firing day on the water but first fish on board was a 13lb 65cm snapper, quickly followed by a 35cm pannie. The fish dropped off there until just before we headed back in and I was cleaning the fish and something made a run on Rod Holden's softy. Turned out to be a nice 60cm trev which was a great end to the day! Heading out first thing tomorrow too will report back!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Ecko Ecko wrote:

Launched from Marsden today and fished softies with advice from Catchelot. Mostly fished around Smugglers and Peach.
Not a firing day on the water but first fish on board was a 13lb 65cm snapper, quickly followed by a 35cm pannie. The fish dropped off there until just before we headed back in and I was cleaning the fish and something made a run on Rod Holden's softy. Turned out to be a nice 60cm trev which was a great end to the day! Heading out first thing tomorrow too will report back!

Well done mate, that's the last time I give you spot x info! LOL

60cm is a fantastic Trev, bet that was a fight and a half!Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One from the other day. I get more excited about them than snapper or kingfish! 

Poor man's Bluefin Tuna mate, gut, gill, ice them down and treat them well, beautiful sashimi or smoked.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:48pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally plucked up the courage to do the Friday night battle from Hamilton to the parents house in Whangarei. Had the boat on the water out of the OBC at 6am. Only boat out at that time of the morning.

Was in the water at 6.30am along the old woman. Not many small snapper seen for the 3hours spent in the water majority were good fish some too big to pluck from the ocean for my liking. But between my brother and I we had shot 3 snapper between 15-18lb being selective by 9.30am and thats us for fish for a while. Some interesting things to note.
Big schools of KY with kingfish chasing them underneath. (also snapper. Managed to pluck the 18lber mid water with a 1m gun while surrounded by a school of KY).
Lots of little mackies around and also came across a few squid up in the shallows that I could not be bothered shooting as the swim back to the boat was over 500m and Im lazy..

Water temp varied a lot. Dive watch was saying 19degrees on the surface in some places but at the 20metre mark it was 16degrees. Noticeable temperature differences when going up and down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kayak man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:55am
kayak man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Flying fish

Was out early on Monday morning 26th Nov
Trying my usual spot around Limestone Island
As bite time was supposed to be red hot up to the high tide

Wasn't getting any nibbles or bites and thought this a bit strange
Had just cast lure again and was looking to where it had landed and directly in my line of sight about 75m away from me a shark about 1.8 - 2.0m long breached out of water chasing something...
Amazing to witness
But I wasn't keen to stay in area with it doing that
Decided I had enough fun for the morning and headed back to ramp

Aloha

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:49am
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thursday morning at 5am through to 7 was outstanding came home with 7 up to 52cms most were around 40cms small ones are starting to come around now though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 1:59pm
Grovo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sitting at home on the Deck with binocs out. Lot of white caps out the bay. Also one very large blue seiner shooting gear about a km or so of from the niwa boy. Blue mack schools getting cleaned out I'd guess? Good old sustainable NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 4:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out yesterday. Rough. Couldn't really get on to the snapper, got a few though, best was about 8lb. Cleaned up on terakihi - yawn! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:43am
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not a lot of info here recently so I thought I would contribute. Went down to Waipu rivermouth 2 days ago and we got some nice snaps up to around 12lb. Seems to me that the spawning schools that were in Bream bay have moved on and split up. My money would be on the chicks or even the upper harbour. I will certainly be trying the channels running into the upper harbour banks in my next effort. Hope you all had a good christmas and are looking forward to a great fishing summer.
Uffy.
Page  <1 105106107108109 129>