Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 126127128129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:05pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks mate, if you feel it’s time PM me bruv 😉
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:17pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok bream bay boys you are quiet which means you are fishing hard. Hearing good things in the harbour with limits up to 8 pounds in 45minutes in shallows. Surfcaster s getting good fish also? I haven’t been able to get out and there has been some perler days.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:18pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oh did any of you do the Hayes small boat comp?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonkatoy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 9:44pm
tonkatoy2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys.
off for a fish in the am just staying in harbour where’s this limestone island?? Will go for a nose.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:00pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wind is down tomorrow, but swell is still up. Anyone have plans? How have you been getting on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:48pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wife and I r going to drag some swimming lures slowly toward mouth first thing. May pop our nose out of the heads but if ****ty will fish various spots back to Paura bay. What’s your plans?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 9:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers RD. I want to get a decent trevally, so will be flicking softies around the harbour entrance. Heard there's a few around at the moment.

Wouldn't say no to a legal kingfish! Snapper are usually a foregone conclusion - how's that for jinxing myself!

After serious fishing, I'll pick my young son up and take him for a ride. Maybe try and get him on to some fish if he's keen.

Like you, I'll stick my nose out the harbour and see what it's like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:02pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice to meet you RD Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:13pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

like wise MB. And a great result from you. Don’t often hear the fisheries inspector gasp!! What did the scales finally pull!?
Just finished a parkour parsley crump fresh snapper meal. Life’s good aye. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:10pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great fish and pic MB Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

like wise MB. And a great result from you. Don’t often hear the fisheries inspector gasp!! What did the scales finally pull!?
Just finished a parkour parsley crump fresh snapper meal. Life’s good aye. 

It went 16lb. Looked bigger to me, I obviously haven't been fishing enough lately LOL

Yep, today was a good day. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:44pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Great fish and pic MB Thumbs Up

Cheers mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:53pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Fish MBThumbs Up
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:47pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Pcj
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 3:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snappa Geoff will be up your way shortly :-) 
Well done.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:05pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thinking MB is becoming the closest thing in Northland to Snappa Geoff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 10:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aw, shucks RD Embarrassed

In truth, I really don't want to catch big snapper, but they seem to come along every so often. There was no way that fish was going to be a successful release. It's a shame, but I enjoyed the experience. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 7:42am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what do you do with your big snaps MB. When they unfortunately can’t be released. Do you smoke? Double fillet lengthwise each side. Cook whole and flake?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:44am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

what do you do with your big snaps MB. When they unfortunately can’t be released. Do you smoke? Double fillet lengthwise each side. Cook whole and flake?

This particular fish was filleted as normal. The top loins were brined and smoked whole. Lower loins cut in to fish bites across the grain. Frame will be dusted in salt/flour and fried. Wings were skinned and will be deep fried.

I don't think big snapper deserve their reputation for poor eating. I believe it stems from trying to cook a big fat fillet in the same way as a fillet from a pannie which inevitably results in some part over or undercooked. Cutting across the grain also helps to tenderise the final product.

As a point of interest, we had a "bad" snapper recently. We've eaten hundreds, if not thousands of snapper and all have been good. The fish in question was iki'ed, iced and filleted within a few hours of capture. It tasted very fishy. In retrospect, it had a thick blood line and this was the source of the bad taste. Unfortunately, we turned the whole lot in to breaded fish bites for my son and he won't touch them! We are now plodding through it ourselves. Most of it ends up in Japanese curries. With the latest big fish, I removed the blood line just to be on the safe side and it tastes great! 
Page  <1 126127128129>