Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 125126127128129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 5:23pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

did a harbour 2m shallow fish in harbour till midnight last night as the wind dropped for incoming tide. Flat out hot session but lots of small snapper. Ended up with 3 trevs and 9 small snapper around the 32-34cm mark. Awesome sunset and had a lot of night fishers by pass approx 30 boats. Midnight OBC boat ramp had 2 other boats washing down when we got to ramp just after midnight, that surprised me. On way home came across a wiz banger van and 15ft tinnie jack knifed and up over the road side barrier. A mess and no doubt a right off. Odd only two police on scene flashing torches around. Unless driver was in back of their car it may have been a runner?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks RD, toying with the idea of going out this evening, but feeling lazy Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 12:26am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

grunta you still suck. Still typing into a little box and it’s been a few months.  Have some IT guys who maybe able to help. Anyway today as superb. Limited out on snapper and a few gurnard and bruv caught a huge Porae! 64cm and feed 8 people. Fact - porae is related to terekihi and tastes between terekihi and snapper. It as awesome now wondering how I target.

Also interesting they grow 30 cm in one year!! Snapper that’s 6-10 years!,
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Punter-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 4:51pm
Punter-Pete View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First ever time in the Harbour yesterday. A family scenic trip but took the rods just in case.   Launched Marsden Cove 2pm.   A bit rough at entrance so back we came and thought let's just try here. 16m and good old squid on flasher rigs. Thought we would give it 30 mins then pull pin. Well 2 hours later and we had 9 in the bin ranging from 34 - 42cm. Nice to feed a few families around us at the camp ground. Will try and get outside for a look as up this way from the Waikato for another 6 days but if not, we'll just try the Harbour again. Great safe place for a family outing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 4:59pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff Pete.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:51pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've heard it's good fishing around 3 mile and the snapper are in row again. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:31pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes my snapper were in late row 3 days ago. Nice PPete that’s some good eating for all the lucky ones in camp ground!good on you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 8:17pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out to Bream Bay this morning. Didn't catch one undersized fish. Released 20+ under 400. Maxed out before 09:00. Nothing over 600 though I did loose a lure to bite off on a slightly larger specimen. All rowed up mostly males though. All on softbaits. Epic fishing still. Out for another session while its so much fun tomorrow. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 9:10pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great work. What depth. I popped out the heads today and drifted on baits soft baits didn’t produce. 6 snapper not the size you got nut just wrapped the wife came out and enjoyed her day. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:11pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a few hours to kill this morning and needed dinner, so went for a quick fish. Left mid-morning. Wind didn't seem too jetski-friendly, so turned right out of Parua Bay instead of left. One decent bite on a softbait and one decent fish. Mission accomplished, so came home! Think it's only the third legal snapper I've ever caught in the harbour LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:30pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m looking to harbour fishing more at Whangarei if just after a snapper feed. My harbour fishing is pretty consistent with as many pennies you want with the occasional trevally amoungst the small pickers. My largest fish caught was the Kingi I posted on this thread. Getting tired of burning the gas driving over good snapper fishing spots. But I do like variety so think I’ll do both. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 3:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I’m looking to harbour fishing more at Whangarei if just after a snapper feed. My harbour fishing is pretty consistent with as many pennies you want with the occasional trevally amoungst the small pickers. My largest fish caught was the Kingi I posted on this thread. Getting tired of burning the gas driving over good snapper fishing spots. But I do like variety so think I’ll do both. 

Each to their own RD. I got down as far as Limestone Island. Not too inspiring to my mind. I love the open ocean. Birds, dolphins, whales, sharks, offshore islands, unexpected catches and a little drama every now and then LOL 

You're right about burning gas. This hobby is getting expensive!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:21pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing was harder today managed just 10 over 400 buy 11:30. All fish hooked were again well legal but not as hungry as yesterday. Also caught and released 6 Gurnard on sliders only a couple of these were legal. 
R.D 40m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:07pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

to fish limestone island would launching from Onerahi boa5 ramp be the best launch site? Handy but unsure what ramp and parking is like?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:19pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The ramp and parking look OK from what I've seen when walking past. Lots of boats were anchored out the back of the island the other day and seemed to be catching something or other (mid-morning, poor state of tide for fishing).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:11pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

to fish limestone island would launching from Onerahi boa5 ramp be the best launch site? Handy but unsure what ramp and parking is like?
Yep you should be ok. Not normally too busy. Better with a bit of water and parking is normally ok. No Jetty just a ramp so need to beach boat or crew to hold. Not much fun if the breeze is up. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:15pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks lads. I remember Catchalot had a few success stories from this area. Worth a try even to say I’ve done it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:12am
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

possably a bit early for limestone to produce a good run of snaps .  they usually come in after spawning in my experiance  , late feb through may
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:42am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great local knowledge right there!! Thanks for that. I’ll aim early March for that fish mission. Now to glean a bit more if I may. I’m keen to drag some plastic at some stage and heard when season is right to start from ocean beach and head out for a beak face or tuna. That is well within my pleasant travel range with out having to carry extra fuel etc. thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 7:43pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ocean beach some years fires big time. Normally later in the season so not yet. When it goes off they are right in to 80m mark, or even closer sometimes. I don't like fishing that close in there though as you will get more sharks than marlin and loose a few lures too. Keep your ears to the ground and head out when the reports start coming in.
Page  <1 125126127128129>