Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 122123124125126 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 6:42am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im amazed at the amount of boats around these parts of all descriptions. Gezz there must be a lot of fish caught. There must be some good,non expensive boat servicing garages around. Who do you think are the best in Whangarei? There must be some to avoid also. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:23am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are a huge number of boats in the area, but like anywhere, some days are predictably busy. If you have the luxury of avoiding weekends, then that's the way to go. 

Non-expensive boat servicing? No LOL
Good boat servicing? I'll send you a PM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:43pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

any one been out in upper harbor  , starting to see a few shore based off fishermans and the beach point beside .... also quite a few boats in same area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 8:25pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OBC boat inspector today says he did well in shallow a month ago. He wouldn’t say where but said he could only fish the top 4 hours of the tide.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 3:36pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

popped out through the heads after dropping the wife off for work. Life is good haha.my pots were pilfered but I did get there late. Headed out to 60m and did a drift. Limit of snapper none bigger than 40cm.and a gurnard. Nice to be out. Drifted back to the heads while I was filleting and was visited by a couple of whales who played around next to me and washing my boat with their water spouts. Nice day. Then raced the rain clouds to the ramp, was all washed down and in the car when it started to get heavy. Perfect. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 3:49pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice work RD - did you grab a Lotto ticket on the way home as that's a cracker of a day of a day so far!
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 5:28pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

crew made up of wife and dog. Dog got seasick haha poor bugger. 
Fished around bream island area once getting through the thick harbour fog.boats traveled in lines as we did. Front boat in thick fog at 20knots took all the risk hehe. 10 snapper to 40 cm 4 trevally and a kawhai that as sishimied with cold beer watch recorded ABs bpts Italy. Missus got a thumper suspect snapper last bait but lost half way up. Great day all filleted and washed up by 12 noon. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 7:15pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for sharing your day out Reel Deal. Sounds like a great morning.
Me and Missus plan to head out from OBC on Tuesday. Will be our first trip in ages so can't wait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 7:42pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

enjoy Jock, caught myself smiling to myself today. Got a fish fix and missus had a great day which makes life easier. Tomorrow got to dig a trench in vege garden for offal to plant next crop of peas on. Good to see fisheries inspector at ramp. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:25am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff, would love to bring the boat up north some time once restrictions reduce Smile
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 10:28am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it’s sad to see the knowledge lost in this area with forum contributors not around. I was going through thread researching 
info on spots as I’m new to the area and there were some real good buggers at various stages over the years and RIP Catchalot. TJM I wouldn’t be able to guarantee you a limit of fish up to 19 pound snapper in a meter of harbour water like some of the guys here but happy to share what little I know at this stage to get you amoungst  it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:44am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks,, yeh there's no guarantee with fishing LOL
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 9:52am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With ten times as many views as posts, my interest in posting trip reports and fishing information has diminished. It seems that people want to the information, but aren't prepared to contribute. I'm generally happy to share - ****, you can give people GPS coordinates and they still won't catch fish, but the balance has tipped too far.

I hear the snapper fishing in Bream Bay has been patchy, but as ever, be prepared to move around a lot and you'll fill your chilly bin. Can't say I have caught a lot of big fish lately, but almost unlimited number of 40-45 cm specimens.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 4:11pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Me and SWMBO went out from OBC Tuesday 7:00am
Last time on the water was back in May, so after reading lots of really positive reports (on other publications/sites) we were anticipating a productive day.
Among the various spots we stopped at and drifted: Power Station, Racecourse, Ruakaka river mouth, 3 mile reef, Guano Island and the harbour around Parua Bay
The outcome? Wife got a single nice gurnard and a single throwback snap. ME! not even a noticeable bite..
Normally we fish in the harbour during summer months and have generally always picked up a nice feed of pannies.
After our trip we refilled our reliable but thirsty Yammie 115 2 stroke.
$94.00 
Thats just a wee bit too rich for our old pensioner nest egg LOL.
Next couple of trips will be back in the harbour methinks.
However, despite my snivelling about the cost (I really am a Scot originally from GlasgowLOL) we had a beautiful day on the water, got nice and fried by the sun, saw a lovely whale and each had a beautiful wee bit of gurnard (at $47 a fillet Wink) and there's nowhere else I'd rather have retired to.
Cheers Folks.

PS I just saw that Catchelot has sadly passed away. I met him once and Bazza and NZ Turtle back in Dec 2018 when he was trying to jack up more of a social aspect to the Whangarei section. I'm grateful for his advice. A sad loss indeed. RIP Al.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 9:01pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you did move around Jock. I had luck around bream island. Nothing big but pretty constant and on baits. I’m new up here so still trying to figure the harbour out.  Hear it can fish better than outside at times.need t explore it more 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jock jock wrote:

Me and SWMBO went out from OBC Tuesday 7:00am
Last time on the water was back in May, so after reading lots of really positive reports (on other publications/sites) we were anticipating a productive day.
Among the various spots we stopped at and drifted: Power Station, Racecourse, Ruakaka river mouth, 3 mile reef, Guano Island and the harbour around Parua Bay
The outcome? Wife got a single nice gurnard and a single throwback snap. ME! not even a noticeable bite..
Normally we fish in the harbour during summer months and have generally always picked up a nice feed of pannies.
After our trip we refilled our reliable but thirsty Yammie 115 2 stroke.
$94.00 
Thats just a wee bit too rich for our old pensioner nest egg LOL.
Next couple of trips will be back in the harbour methinks.
However, despite my snivelling about the cost (I really am a Scot originally from GlasgowLOL) we had a beautiful day on the water, got nice and fried by the sun, saw a lovely whale and each had a beautiful wee bit of gurnard (at $47 a fillet Wink) and there's nowhere else I'd rather have retired to.
Cheers Folks.

PS I just saw that Catchelot has sadly passed away. I met him once and Bazza and NZ Turtle back in Dec 2018 when he was trying to jack up more of a social aspect to the Whangarei section. I'm grateful for his advice. A sad loss indeed. RIP Al.

Good stuff Jock. Are you lure or bait fishing?

My fuel bill yesterday was $104 and that was on a jetski, but you only live once, plus it was under 30 minutes from the Hen & Chicks to Parua Bay. Not often I can do that and stay dry! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:04pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that’s quick MB you must have been maxing it. Is your ski black or dark? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

you did move around Jock. I had luck around bream island. Nothing big but pretty constant and on baits. I’m new up here so still trying to figure the harbour out.  Hear it can fish better than outside at times.need t explore it more 

When you figure it out, let me know please LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

that’s quick MB you must have been maxing it. Is your ski black or dark? 

Pretty much full throttle from Reotahi to Parua Bay, so that made up some serious time! Yes, black ski Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 5:49am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wicked ride and I saw you go past on one of my trips. I thought to myself that must be MB.
I see you launch from the same location as me. If you see I guy wondering around the compound kicking rocks trying to over hear other fishos talking about fishing spots, that’s me! Be great to catch ya up 
Page  <1 122123124125126 129>