Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 121122123124125 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:56pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MPI Fisheries - Northland
To clarify, there have been NO changes to the recreational or commercial fishing rules for the Whangarei Harbour. This post applies to those who gather for Hui or Tangi using a customary permit. There has been a change in who can issue customary permits for this area.

They could posted that originally
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 7:33pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting PCJ. 

Just off that topic, are snapper fished all year round in the harbour ? I fished last week just outside and had some good fishing. Must be all year round in harbour too.?? I didn’t get any Kingi’s and heard they are in the shallows off ruakaka chasing bait fish.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 8:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

interesting PCJ. 

Just off that topic, are snapper fished all year round in the harbour ? I fished last week just outside and had some good fishing. Must be all year round in harbour too.?? I didn’t get any Kingi’s and heard they are in the shallows off ruakaka chasing bait fish.

A wee bit early for good takeable snaps, inner hbr, mostly undersized, some kahawai, parore, pakiri... keep fishing outer hbr, few more months and Kings will be in chasing the Piper and Yellow Eyed Mullet...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 9:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know a couple of guys who fish the harbour all year round and consistently catch snapper, not big fish, but legal. They have their spot Xs which only fire on certain tides/times. It's bait/burley fishing. Apart from that, no, I don't have the details! LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are more divers in Whangarei Harbour than scallops at the moment! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:14pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

really ? Bugger. You are hearing not many scallops about?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:24pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We got some (freediving), but we really had to work for them. Boats/divers everywhere, plus a couple of dredges in between.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:52pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was managing only 2-4 scallops a dive in 8-11m of water today where as previous years id be getting 6-8 in one breath. No signs of undersized scallops. Just spread out significantly and patchy.. Was only one area but not a good look for the start of the season

Went from 3 boats around us to 16 odd in a span of 20minutes this morning.

May aswell enjoy them while you can. The scallop fishery in whangarei is going follow the rest of the country and collapse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:58pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

I was managing only 2-4 scallops a dive in 8-11m of water today where as previous years id be getting 6-8 in one breath. No signs of undersized scallops. Just spread out significantly and patchy.. Was only one area but not a good look for the start of the season

May aswell enjoy them while you can. The scallop fishery in whangarei is going follow the rest of the country and collapse

Be aware, this dude can hold his breath, so one dive for him is like two or three dives for us land mammals LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:03pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Be aware, this dude can hold his breath, so one dive for him is like two or three dives for us land mammals LOL

Cut it out MB. I'm getting old and eat too many pies these days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks NZTurtle for putting me on to some fish today. It would have been a struggle otherwise! Cheers, MB Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:20pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All good MB. Beauty day out there this morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How'd you boys go? Catching snapper was just a formality in that last spot. I spent the next hour or two trying to catch squid. One hit, but it didn't stick and buggered off quite quickly. After that, met my family at Peach Cove and cooked some snapper up over an open fire Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 5:44pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what spot what spot….😬 the wife and I decided hen and chicks as the go as never been there before. Surprised to see a lot of trailers and boats about at 6.30am at ramp. Fishos up here are hardcore.what a primo day. After 7 snapper and a hot session we went exploring. My brothers a trees expert in Australian government and told me the native puka tree is only found at the hen and chick islands in the wild and all Puka trees in NZ came from those. A bit of searching but we found a beaut above a cliff in a sheltered slope. Nice. Water clarity looked good with lots of Kina spotted while mouthing around the rocks. What a island group! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 6:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hen & Chicks are a great place, but I find the fishing very variable. When it's on, it's hot, when it's not, it's dead. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 10:31am
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also went out real early Saturday morning. Went down to Waipu and got some nice Snapper around 3-4Kg. Went off the bite as the morning progresed. An absolute flotilla of water craft encountered coming home. It is getting busier all the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 3:43pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We did well MB. Took home 20, alll over 40cm I think.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 4:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 7:44pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was out again today with my son and grandson. Bit later start (+2.5h). Way less boats about today. Went to same spots as above and quite a few more as well. Different day than yesterday. Very hard fishing with no workups where Turtle, MB and myself were. Sounder fairly clean there and in all my usual haunts. Followed the dolphins for a while to give the grandson a memory. Buzzed around everywhere and got onto them at last in close as the wind got up. Home by 13:30 with 9. Still a good day in the end. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 10:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good Krow. Fish certainly seem to be localised at the moment. That's spring fishing I suppose.
Page  <1 121122123124125 129>