Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 120121122123124 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 12:54pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Took 2 weeks off work for a 'holiday'.. Classic case of the weather not lining up, managed to pop out twice.

Out and about on the 3rd, swum from the end of the old woman all the way along to peach cove. Some absolutely beautiful large snapper seen but not killed. (had a pretty good weekend up at the bay of islands earlier and couldn't justify more snapper) good signs of bait etc 

Went to bream rock for a change, managed to get two reasonable kingfish onboard (at a guess probably 15 - 18kg ish) with no hassles from any sharks

No gear broken, no damages to boat / tow vehicle all in all good times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:35pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

No gear broken, no damages to boat / tow vehicle all in all good times

Sounds good to me. Fish are a bonus!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nek minnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 3:14pm
Nek minnit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone seen any skippys inside the Hen yet? Any in bream bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 10:56am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

had my first Whangarei fish this morning, a mate had driven up from the Tron to help build a chicken coup. As unpacking his car I noticed a surfcaster he takes everywhere. During coup construction a plan was hatched to try the unknown to us Whangarei fishery. We grabbed a bag of pillies which we would regret latter and started our way along the northern harbour road. Found that some where earlier than us but snuggled in between 4 fishing a channel. They were happy to see us using pillies as we effectively became their constant burley trail. Each cast we were cleaned up by pickers and bigger fish being careful. Their squid was resulting on regular snapper catches. We finally got a kawhai which I planned to get some sushi from and rest into the dog food. Mate said let’s swap to kawhai for a bit boom I got a 34cm snapper and settled in for finally some fish sticking. Till a shark paid a visit.long story short it cut the hook off 10m away after a battle but the fish and everyone else had moved on so as the channel became hard to reach with our rods, we pulled the pin. But I was a promising start and bodes well. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:56pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

were you off the beach just to the east of fishermans point ? I've had good catches there last hour an half of outgoing and first hour of incoming . change of light at either end of day. Fresh mullet from stumpies cut into 1'' cubes and on salt for 12 hours. recurve hook s and smallest sinker can get away with. Will be putting tinny in there in morning and go have a snoop over towards skull creek with plenty burley , been a while !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 1:01pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some great tips there thanks and makes sense once I fished there. Mate wanted one last fish this morning before his trip back south to Hamilton but bite not so hot with a lot of small stuff. I finally landed a keeper on last bait but lucky enough for a returning tinnie to pull up and hand out a couple of snapper from their successful fish mission. Big ups to those guys. Also to the Fisheries inspector who popped down and checked a boat just existing the water. All good and he was on his way but good to have a presence out there. Big thumbs down to the surfcaster that a packed up and left rubbish of coffee cups, bags and other plastic. I had to walk down and pick his mess up. It ain’t hard to keep our ocean environment clean of rec fishing waste.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:38pm
Silver
Silver

i put the tinny in there this morning , was a bit late as was coming on daylight. Motor took a wile to start as i didn't run the carbie out of fuel a couple of weeks ago when i ran it in a drum and was left with oil.. Finally got it going and took a wide berth around those fishing from the shore and headed down channel a wee bit and the engine stopped pumping water ! handbrake on , anchor out ,that was as far as i was going! berly in , bait out , rod in holder ,cover off motor , bang fish on... three baits , three fish 35 - 40 cm.. 
Took the hoses off the engine and blew through , took a bit but then bubbles from below. Hoses back on Restart engine and water all good again . back to the fishing and got four more keepers to 56 cm and a couple of smaller throw backs.  was checked by the fisheries on the beach and he was surprised by the size of the fish  , and got a new measuring sticker for the tinny as well. And yip some sorts are just plain F****** lazy when it comes to tacking there rubbish home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:02am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you were clued up enough to fix the motor and get a good fish session in. Well done.it was a top day weather wise.

Does your rig have stabilisers on? If so I saw you. Good set up.

Been 40 years since being boatless which is a strange feeling but land based fishing is a different kind of fun. You get to know the fishers around you and build camaraderie. 

Was there an old Maori guy with bright blue eyes fishing from a orange Mercedes over where you launched ?

If so, he got the fish of the morning with a 50cm snap probably benefiting from your burley trail😜.

He came over asking for a hook remover as the snap swallowed the J hook. Guy next to me could help him. Then he gave him the snapper! Turns out his wife was a mad fisher and had recently passed and he went down to fish in her memory. But he doesn’t like eating fish.!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:23pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool storey right there Cheers put a wee smile on the dial. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
Silver
Silver

Yip that was my old beaten up tinny  , more silicon in there than mitre ten ! also found out the trailer springs are a bit buggered as the tyres were hitting the guards and squeeling all the way home .. Am hoping to get out tomorrow , weather supposed to break , may be  a bit to much fresh water in shallow areas though but still give it a go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

i put the tinny in there this morning , was a bit late as was coming on daylight. Motor took a wile to start as i didn't run the carbie out of fuel a couple of weeks ago when i ran it in a drum and was left with oil.. Finally got it going and took a wide berth around those fishing from the shore and headed down channel a wee bit and the engine stopped pumping water ! handbrake on , anchor out ,that was as far as i was going! berly in , bait out , rod in holder ,cover off motor , bang fish on... three baits , three fish 35 - 40 cm.. 
Took the hoses off the engine and blew through , took a bit but then bubbles from below. Hoses back on Restart engine and water all good again . back to the fishing and got four more keepers to 56 cm and a couple of smaller throw backs.  was checked by the fisheries on the beach and he was surprised by the size of the fish  , and got a new measuring sticker for the tinny as well. And yip some sorts are just plain F****** lazy when it comes to tacking there rubbish home

Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 5:42am
Silver
Silver

A quick fish yesterday on the last couple hours of outgoing on edge of main channel out from tamatarau 5m depth.. seemed to be a few more small fish around than last weekend lots of bait pinchers.. only had some salted anchovies and pillies for bait and was getting cleaned up every time. caught a small kawhy and used for bait , ended up with 7 snaps 32 = 45 cm , will light up the smoker thisarvo ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 6:37am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds productive. So from my reckoning you are getting your limit with $5 gas spent a day. Tearing the holy grail zone right there. Nice work

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:37pm
Silver
Silver

yip , a tough way to fill the fridge .. Have only just started to use the tinny again , have been kayaking the last few years( 7 or 8 ), nice change to have a dry backside --now a question for all out there , whats ya favorite rig for fishing the upper harbour ? I fish two rods 1 spin , 1 baitcaster , both 4kg sets , 2 rod lengths of 8kg leader on each with a single circle hook 6 or 7/0 on the end with as small a sinker as will reach bottom somwhere out back , sitting on top.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 9:27pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure if this belongs in the Whangarei thread or not, so please remove/move/advise/abuse or whatever.

Monday trip from Tutukaka, south to Pataua, shallowish.  New country for me. Various small workups with some very nice plump 45-55 pannies  on microjigs but mostly rod holder and golden boy Z-mans.

Plus live baits which just attracted sharks....

Fantastic day to be on the water though: cold early on but flat as....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:13am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LAP that’s the set up I’d be using but with bar 4 hooks just my preference. brmbrms post shows the fish still in the shallows so a tinnie close in in a channel still looks the go for a good feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:19am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I turned north out of Tutukaka on Monday, got 8 snapper before getting pack attacked by rat kings. Sea conditions were glassy up to mid afternoon.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:00pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah I note the calm days are super calm. I was one of the envious ones watching the boats go out into that calm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 5:36pm
Silver
Silver

anyone been out in upper harbor ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:49pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Whangarei Harbour became a gazetted Rohe Moana on Thursday, 15 July 2021.
The Te Rerenga Parāoa Rohe Moana now covers the northern side of the Harbour and sits adjacent to the Patuharakeke Rohe Moana on the south side of the Harbour.
Tangata Kaitiaki of these Hapu are responsible for managing how kaimoana is gathered for customary purposes, including the issuing of customary permits.
As of 15 July 2021, only customary permits issued by the Tangata Kaitiaki of the Te Rerenga Parāoa and Patuharakeke Hapu can be used in the Whangarei Harbour.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call the Whangarei Ministry for Primary Industries on 09 470 0580.
For more information, please visit: https://bit.ly/3kURxiF

I gather no shellfish to be taken except by IWI??
Page  <1 120121122123124 129>