Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 113114115116117 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:07pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Me and boss woman fished the harbour this morning on the incoming tide. Nice and cloudy and no wind. No big fish but really great to get out fishing again. Brought home ten nice pan fish between 34cms and 40cms. What a beautiful spot we live in.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done jock. It is a stunning area. I went out on Saturday with a mate, taking my 5 year old boy along. Mixed bag of fish and a nice feed. I took another mate's 10 year old for his first spearfish on Sunday. No fish, but he had plenty of chances to keep things interesting. I also taught my 5 year old to snorkel which was pretty cool. 

Monday was a little more interesting for me. I went to the H&C on the ski with the sole intention of bagging a kingfsh which was achieved Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:49pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished 20m off Ruakaka last night. Just the one on kabora so parked up in amongst the sign and the old burley and bait did the trick. Nothing big but good fishing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kayak man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:18am
kayak man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good to hear fish are still being caught

I got invited out in friends boat yesterday afternoon
to try fishing out in harbour just off beach road out from OYC
Bit lumpy and windy to start with
Got lots of bait pinched and a few hook ups

Managed to hand feed a very friendly rat kingy that visited

Decided we'd stay for tide change and try again..
But no where near as active on bites or hook ups
once tide started running again
After awhile skipper made the call of last bait...

About then a 1.8 -2m GW shark breached about 30m away
Showing us just who is best at catching and eating fish

Yet another great fishing experience

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:31pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Fished 20m off Ruakaka last night. Just the one on kabora so parked up in amongst the sign and the old burley and bait did the trick. Nothing big but good fishing. 

I wondered what the missed call was about...Sleepy
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:52pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Holidays ! Holiday wife was making delicious vodkas as we hit the water last sun. Went out to 50 meters. Hooked up to nothing at all. Had a 2 meter mako come right up to the back of the boat, roll over and eyeball us with one deep black eye. Beautiful. Kids were freaked out which was also beautiful. Found schools of skitish kahawai up hard against the cliffs wouldn't take any lures cast at them. Weird. Went out monday evening solo, stayed in harbour, this time headed for the sand bars and hooked up 54 and a couple of mid 40's in 8 meters on the drift. Could have taken my bin but that's all we needed. Maybe packs of sharks out deep here ? Great Barrier has been plagued.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:12pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a bit sharky at the moment. We had a mako check out the boat a few times and I looked down in to the water at the right moment on Monday to see a big bronzie casually gliding along about 2 metres under the surface. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:56pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A bit sharky!? Had to fend this thing off for 2minutes on Saturday. Still not sure how I got the fish into the boat without it getting chomped!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:34pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Far out. Great photo !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:49pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

where at the chicks did you score the kingi, I managed a couple on slow jigs biggest was 14kg. got them on the sand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

A bit sharky!? Had to fend this thing off for 2minutes on Saturday. Still not sure how I got the fish into the boat without it getting chomped!

Awesome photo. I just bought a speargun LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bob 7 Bob 7 wrote:

where at the chicks did you score the kingi, I managed a couple on slow jigs biggest was 14kg. got them on the sand.

Western end of the Hen. Only 80cm, but big enough!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:25am
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A few big snaps on the chew in harb last 2 mornings early lost a over 60cm and bagged a 57cm this morning.
KY have turned up too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will be out Bream Bay 2mro arvo, maybe the chicks maybe Waipu...any news, anyone heading out that way?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 5:39am
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went to Ruakaka river mouth yesterday. Had been there 2 weeks previously and did well on 35 to 45 fish and there were schools on the sounder everywhere. Much different yesterday as it took quite some time to locate any sign on the sounder. once located we anchored up with burley and piper and pillies and between 2 of us got about 12 snapper up to about 8lb and 3 nice sized trevelly. Would have spent less than 2 hours fising and back home at 10.30. After a windy Christmas to new year the weather has really settled and looking like staying that way. Keen to have a shot at an upper harbour spot, anyone been doing that lately?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:13am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dad informed me that a few of his colleagues have been doing okay around limestone in the evenings / just after the sun sets.

However those jokers tend to have 40cm fish become 55cm the next week in their tool box stories only way to find out is by giving it a nudge I guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 5:39pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They've been right up the harbour since the start of december... fished last weekend from 9.30pm-1am up in the shallows with the incoming, fished very well all night. nothing big but nothing undersize either, however that is using 8-10/0 circles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nek minnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:44pm
Nek minnit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hundreds of rat kings and the odd bigger 15kg specimens at mc Gregor's. And some huge bronzies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the harbour on the incoming this morning up until top of the tide. Good feed of panfish from 34cm to 48cm. Drifting using bait. 
Love living here.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 8:01pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

12 meters directly off Ruakaka river mouth has been loaded with fish last couple of times I’ve been out. Never seen so many sharks before tho... I saw them cruising beside the boat, on the surface in the distance. Even saw one breach nailing a bait fish.
Go the Warriors!
Page  <1 113114115116117 129>