Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 110111112113114 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:39am
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great Vid. Loved itClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:42am
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one GoBro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:18am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, good video GoBro, I've just subscribed to your channel Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 11:19am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thought I'd stick a picture up from my trip yesterday as the sunrise was nice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 1:36pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will post up a proper report when I get back to Hamilton tonight or tomorrow but still heaps of big snapper about. Unfortunately I misjudged the size of the one I shot and its gone 19lb. It looked small compared to the others earlier in the week..

Not a lot of pannies about at the old woman from a spearo view. Have the 19lber its 75cm long and then theres one other snapper at a guess 55cm in length.

Did see a few considerably bigger snapper than the one I shot. Also the unlucky or lucky sod had a tango with one of you tackle fiddlers before my awesomeness killed it.

Still a heap of big kingies around guano too the fish should be on the gopro of it getting its faced obliterated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Kingis off Guano and then the 19lber before it got smoked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:59pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NICE!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 8:49am
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No posts here for a while so, siting at home in a howling northeasterly, I though i would try to get the ball rolling again.
Went out off Ocean beach last Wednesday for a hard earned feed of snapper 35cm - 45cm. Lots of small ones in between the keepers. Son went out the next day with softbaits and caught some better fish along the Peach Cove/mad mile area. Have heard rumours of snapper down in Bream Bay and there have certainly been a few boats down prospecting that area, though not been there myself.
So there are fish out there (more so than usual for this time). Anyone else been out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 3:12pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yep went to H&C did very well off a point got 7,
5 over 40 best 43 yesterday great start to spring but could have been due to storm arriving today got them on the chew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well interesting day out today. Forced to use the little impreza to tow the lazer with so launched at parua bay. Got interrupted by a young fella who parked his ute against the tree near the yacht club but he was allgood just in shock so zipped out round to guano wasnt the best conditions but wasnt terrible either.

Did not see any little snaps only large ones all day which evaded my abilities. All in all good day nothing broke and the subbie didnt suffer any damages from towing the old girl.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:34pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good day out yesterday. Took a while to find them bu tthen found a whole lot of birds on the water in 36m east of Ruakaka river mouth. Limited up in 90mins using Kabura and Bottom ship jigs. Fish to 6lb and some stonking barries...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 4:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nicely done Dave, but I must ask, you mention 90m ... did you go out that far?

Or did it mean 90 mins, I can't possibly imagine that if Elmo was fishing.LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:43am
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did a reasonably early (gentleman's hour) start on Saturday mornng and went down off the Ruakaka rivermouth. Cruised around for ages with no sign on the the sounder. Finally found a few fish marks, anchored up and set the burley running. Fish were slow to start and were never really hard out, but we ended up with 10 snapper up to about 10lb, so was not a bad day. Wind started kicking from the SW with accompanied rain squals around 10.30 so pulled the pick and bailed for home.
Fish had well developed roes and are in prime condition.
There was a pilchcard seiner and a longliner working down towards Waipu. Was our backup plan to head down there but never needed to impliment it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to hear there's some fish in the shallows. Shame the seiners are back Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 12:09pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out Sunday into bream bay at around 15-20m from Ruakaka to Waipu. Pretty slow but kept fish from 38-55cm and threw quite a few back that could play for another day. Loads of boats out but quite a few moving about.  

What was really wierd was the water colour. Brown/brackish and stained both the nylon and braid we were using. At some points meant we couldnt see the burly 3m down below the boat. Didn't look/feel  manmade so perhaps some form of algae? Anyone have any idea what it is?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 12:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Algae bloom was my thought sunday.

Packed no rods in the boat and it was a mission to suss a feed. Managed it in the end.

Lost light at 15m started going dark.. Water was 13.5 degrees not sure if that has something to do with it or not. Could see the end of my fins and a bit past the speargun so 2.5m ish id say?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:50pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out on Saturday and thought the same with the almost black water.  Went out to the 46 mt mark and no difference.hard fishing and quite sloppy. managed a feed but lots of juveniles to throw back. called it quits early as wind was not dropping off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 5:34pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Real pea souper this morning only got out to channel as didn't want to hit anything-- champagne spring fishing
fish are in the harbour starting to roe up.
Awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 11:42am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with the comments about the brown/black water on Saturday. It looked horrible! I went out on a friend's boat with another mate who only goes fishing once a year. He wanted to fill his freezer, so we had a license to kill. Between the three of us, we got 16 snapper, 9 gurnard and a few other bits and pieces. Biggest snapper would only have been around 55cm, smallest we kept was 38cm. Mixture of lures and bait. Interestingly, in the lovely clear, blue water off the Hen & Chicks, I don't think we caught anything at all. The fish were loving the mucky stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 7:36pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Algae bloom was my thought sunday.

Packed no rods in the boat and it was a mission to suss a feed. Managed it in the end.

Lost light at 15m started going dark.. Water was 13.5 degrees not sure if that has something to do with it or not. Could see the end of my fins and a bit past the speargun so 2.5m ish id say?
I as wondering if it was just on the surface couple of meters but I guess not then. Strange. Even the harbour at Urquharts was the same.
Page  <1 110111112113114 129>