Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 108109110111112 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice haul! What did you fish with? In 12 meters again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:01am
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea, think I’ll go to the chicks this weekend though and try to find something a bit bigger.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 8:17pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Managed to get out tonight for the last hour of daylight, drifting along snake bank. Caught 10 fish on softbaits, 30 to 45 cm. 
The water temp is dropping pretty fast - 19 degrees now. And the water seems quite green. Has anyone else noticed that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:34am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very sloppy outside the harbour this morning. The ski didn't enjoy it one little bit. Canned my plans to get to the Hen & Chicks for a kingfish and stayed closer to home for snapper. First fish on was a decent kingfish on an inchiku! All was going well until the swivel broke Angry

After that, I moved around a bit trying to find the fish. Found some good sign and caught snapper at 10lb, 10lb and 8lb in 35 metres. That was enough for me. Headed in at 0930. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:38am
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thats not bad at all! shame on losing the kingie. Next time! ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Very sloppy outside the harbour this morning. The ski didn't enjoy it one little bit. Canned my plans to get to the Hen & Chicks for a kingfish and stayed closer to home for snapper. First fish on was a decent kingfish on an inchiku! All was going well until the swivel broke Angry

After that, I moved around a bit trying to find the fish. Found some good sign and caught snapper at 10lb, 10lb and 8lb in 35 metres. That was enough for me. Headed in at 0930. 

Saw ya heading home along the old woman. Certainly wasnt flat. I shot a 110cm kingi at guano then proceeded to nudge out to the 90m mark off oceans to try find a marlin.
Wasnt too pleasant so pulled the pin after 1hr trying to find bait ball / birds and ended up at the hen and chicks.

Job well done on the snapper front mighty!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:15am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good day for us, started at the 10m hole off the power station, nothing there moved to off the ruakaka river and did a few drifts and then worked our way just south of ruakaka for more drifts found a kahawai school that stayed with us. Fished until low tide at about 2pm, got our limit of snaps, best 55cm, four kahawai and a foul hooked thresher shark.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:09pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how big was the thresher? 

I managed to get out yesterday for a few casts around Parua Bay in the afternoon, but caught nothing apart from one Kahawai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KCfishing KCfishing wrote:

how big was the thresher?

About 4-5ft just a junior, first one we have seen in Bream Bay and only in 14m...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakedunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:51am
jakedunc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Do you always gut and bleed your snapper? I bleed Kahawai but never Snaps.. I guess it will stop the slight bit of blood getting into the fillets and would be good berley while you are still out on the water??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 1:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kahawai yes, but not normally with Snapper, its just that sometimes when we get a few big ones the skipper likes to gut and gill them to save a bit of mess at home with the clean up.

But otherwise I don't think the blood on the flesh effects the quality of hygiene or the taste, but I do wipe with paper towels during filleting if any does get on...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:25pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not seen too many posts on here so thought I would add to it.  Been getting out most weekends as long as the weather played the game.Got smashed a couple of times out there with some pretty big swells hitting the ski. Have always managed a good feed of pannies to bring back home.  We headed out at 6am last saturday only to find the fog was like pea soup. Took an hour to get to the fishing spot as there was no way you could you safely put the hammer down. Only way out to the entrance was to follow old trails on the sounder. Not even the lights of the refinery showed thru that pea soup . Lost my fellow jet skier for 30 mins until a small gap in the mist appeared and managed to spot him. Fish came on the bite very hot at 9am and we binned up in record time with a couple of large fish spitting the hook. Softbaits and slow jigs were getting take equally. headed back in only to find the fog still very thick right up the the pontoons inside parua bay. Looking forward to the next trip and hope the fog will stay away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What depths were you finding the fish in Bob?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:21pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

picking them up on the drift at 25mts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good one Bob. I’ve learned to love the fog. Fog = no wind. Can be a bit freaky though, and as you say, a gentle ride out is the way to go. My fishing experiences of late have been similar to yours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having looked at SwellMap, I imagine the whole “fleet” will be out tomorrow. Good luck and see you out there 🙂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:02am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Having looked at SwellMap, I imagine the whole “fleet” will be out tomorrow. Good luck and see you out there 🙂

Apart from the suckers at the boat show. Tuts / poor knights for me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:33pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Forgot about the Boat Show. There were a few people at the ramp at 0630, but it wasn't crazy busy. A kingfish was on order for sashimi, so I went over to the Chicks. All good there, only 80cm, but nice and fat. Bit of a bumpy ride back. Tutukaka would have been better?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:05pm
Bob 7 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice kingi,  I had a good morning and binned up before 7.30. chased some kingis but only got a just legal model so let him swim away. back home early
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:20pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nicely done Andy, softee or jiggy...near the bottom or where the sounder showed sign?

Page  <1 108109110111112 129>