Yamaha 90

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha 90
    Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 10:27am
crusader View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm in the middle of engine repair and have lifted the powerhead off but can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove the powerhead retaining bolts down thru the housing as they appear to be binding up quite badly.
Any help would be very very welcome indeed

cheers
crusader
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 2:02pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If they are really solid don't punch them down! I have learnt the hard way and broken a midsection by breaking a midsection because the salt build up...

I now remove them by using a rattle gun to keep them moving, punch them up and down until it dislodges the salt. Sometimes it requires rattling the bolt while a second person punches from the top. When the bolt gets solid, punch it back up and rattle it again. CRC or similar can help.

I also use heat, oxy/accetalene or lpg etc. Care needs to be taken not to heat too much so you dont damage the gasket under the adaptor plate.

Hope this helps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 7:00pm
crusader View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thats exactly the information i needed, thanks for that.

cheers
crusader
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outboard Performance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 7:12pm
Outboard Performance View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

your welcome...

why did you have to lift the powerhead up?