Looking for Cresta Craft owners

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southern macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Cresta Craft owners
    Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 1:53pm
southern macca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We are looking for people that have owned  or still own a Cresta Craft boat. I am looking to get feedback comments ,stories from people over the last 40 years of the brands history.

Cresta Craft is in the process of researching  its own history from the customers perspective as part of a future vision for our boats.

If you have photos of you and the family on a Cresta Craft or any comments, we would love to see them  - constructive feedback   on whats good and on can be better is really welcomed.

If we get some cracker pics with a brilliant story we would like to use them in a new website with your permission and as part of this will be looking to do a complimentary retro fit on a classic boat we can find !

Appreciate any help we can get 

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 4:36pm
Hookz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a V22 that I am in the process of doing a refit on now.
I have loved this model for years.

It all started when I was a child.
My dad had a Crestacraft V22 and we went to places all over the North Island,
in all types of weather conditions. Boy could I tell you some stories, "but this is a public forum".
Any how as I grow up all I wanted was a boat like my dads, then one day it happened.
I had the money and was in the right place at the right time and the deal was done.
One dream came true now to try and improve on it with my own little touches.
There are a couple of things I would change, Oh wait I am changing,
like the fuel tanks, why not under floor.

These are some of the pic of the current project.

Before:

Current:

And a pic from out on the boat before the big change to the back end.

More changes to come.
If you would like to know more send a PM.

Tight Lines......

My Homepage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southern macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 4:43pm
Bronze
Bronze

Brilliant thanks Hookz, nice job on the transom refit will look forward to seeing the finished refit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 1:10pm
Hookz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,
Just a quick post to bring this topic back into the light.

I am shaw there are a couple more people out there that have had or do have one of these fine boats.
Southern Macca,
If you don't get any more posts on this topic I will put pen to paper for you.

Also if you don't find a classic example of these fine craft, please consider my not so classic anymore example as a contender for a possible retro fit, I know of a few things that would just set her off, but they fall outside of my budget. "wink wink nudge nudge". 
Tight Lines......

My Homepage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southern macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 1:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

good on ya hookz  - new or old we would like to hear from people
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote graham 99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 10:22pm
graham 99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just an idea maybe you could post some model ID's
know the band's rep. But with older model's I could not ID individual boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 11:27pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

gOING fISHING...

We have a 1982 CrestaCraft 5.3, on its' original trailer, in excellent nic. She is easy to handle and a good sea boat. We run a 115hp Suzuki on the back with a 9.9 aux/Trolling motor. She's great for trolling from and is nice and stable when drifting or fishing at anchor. All in all she is a great general purpose boat. She has a 100ltr under floor fuel tank and a 15 ltr for the Aux.

We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trippa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 3:18am
trippa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how ya going southern macca yea got a cresta craft v22 im in western australia and just under going a full rebuild of the boat and trying to keep it origanal since i have had it i have never seen it in the water just wondering how they sit in the water and what the ride is like cheers mate
Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Force5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 8:15pm
Force5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, My old man had a 17' cresta craft back in the 70s. Had a 115 hp chrysler outboard. Did heaps of miles in it. It was one of the early trailer boat game fishing boats out of Tutukaka and caught a few fish. First day out gamefishing was with two penn senators and a couple of bamboo poles as outriggers.  We had a 120 l. stainless petrol tank made up to sit in the central floor well to get the days fishing. IGood times. 'll have a dig through the old photo albums next time I can I can remember a couple of photos, one with a marlin across the back. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote livebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 12:01pm
livebait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cresta Craft V22

I have recently bought this V22, It has a 200Hp Evinrude, would love to hear from other owners as well. I have not ventured far yet but planning to go Little Brrier and Mokes over the winter.

Any feedback would be nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ_Nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:32pm
NZ_Nitro View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a V19 cresta craft but would love a V22
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:53pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had two of the v19 foot beasts now..  one back in the 80's with a Yammie 140hp on the back and more recently with an Evinrude 115HP... Being heavy, and their hull design strakes make the boat handle very well in the rough...
......................................................................................................................
Photo's taken at the time of purchase and many changes made....

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:06am
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've just bought an older V12, cool little boat for the lakes and Akaroa would love to learn morwe about them before I start the repaint on her.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:54am
fcollingwood View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a V22 that has been a little modified. Looks like it originally was built as an inboard, as there is no well, subsequently someone put some scaffolding on the back in the form of a pod, with an outboard attached. I've had a glass pod fitted, and a new engine.

This is what she looked like when we got her:

With the old "pod":

And the new pod & platform:

With all of that weight jacked out the back, she porpoised unless the engine was trimmed fully in, so I moved the underfloor fuel tank forward by as much as I could (About 10 inches), and added some Bennet M120 Sport trim tabs (With position indicator & auto tab control), as these were the biggest tabs I could fit between chines:

As the transom is not dead flat, but curves in at the sides, I had to build up mounting pads - not a big job, but as I haven't done any glassing in over 20 years, I'm quite happy with the job I did:

Overall, I'm happy with the boat. There are problems, which are no fault of the design, construction methods or builder, like, for instance, rotting floor, but this is due to the boat having sat out in the open, unused for several years.

The next job I want to do (After replacing the floor) is to put a small hardtop on her - if anyone has any patterns or moulds, please let me know, as it'll be easier than re-inventing the wheel.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote livebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:55am
livebait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Rig there mate. I have only had mine for 6 months now and haven't ventured far and trying to find as much info about it. I plan to have my boat as long as it lasts me.

Just wondering if you had taken it far and how does it handle?  funny you mentioned floor I was checking  mine on Sunday and you can feel the floor go down when weight is put on it, migh have to remove carpet to see. Any other problems you have had?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:22pm
fcollingwood View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks. She's been out & about in the Doubtless bay area, but mainly out of Westhaven in AKL, into the gulf. Only had her a few seasons, so still getting the weight balance sorted, I think she's still not got enough weight forward (A few sandbags may help), but overall, it's a good hull design for most types of seas. Coming back on a rough day, when all the tinnies a booming as they bounce from crest to crest, she just cuts through the swells quite nicely.

225HP is a bit of overkill though. I've taken her to 40 knots, she can go faster, but I can't.

Other problems.....there may be a bit of rot in the transom; as I said earlier, it was left outside derelict for years, and the holes through the transom weren't sealed properly, but it has been built up over the years, so there's now 5 layers of 22mm ply there.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote livebait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 10:32am
livebait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great thanks, will keep an eye on this thread and hope other owners can share their stories.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sharkstail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:55am
Sharkstail View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sharkstail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:01am
Sharkstail View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sold a few years ago Spent many hours to make 4play a great over nighter went to Auckland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dakotanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:55pm
dakotanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Check out this for Cresta mod.. A previous owner  put alot of time and care into this full leght hard top, which is fantastic for keeping the sun ( and ocasianlly the rain) off, means I can spend the whole day out and not come back fried. 6' headroom too, but dosent look to ugly considering its size. the V22 s are great , We have stayed on this for a week at a time  - but didnt get cabin fever. notice the inner transom has been raised, this stops the water coming in as the standard transoms were too low. One of the best things about cresta craft boats of this era are the trailers ....mines 28 yeras old , still original galv and no rust, pretty amazing really. What ever they were doing with galvinizing back then worked, modern trailers are piles of rust after 15 years. I see lots of other 25 year old creasacraft trailers still going strong too. 
the hull shape and  heavy weight of theboat make it a very smooth ride.

Page  12>