Top Tip!

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 4:41pm
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Patience and Perserverence (assuming you have equipment, techniques and location reasonably organised). Remember that even after many years experience very good fishermen will have slow days, so do not let initial failures dampen the enthusiasm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snake Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 11:17am
Snake Eyes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

use burley, the more the better
A fast games a good game
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 8:53am
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go fishing at a popular spot and watch what the guys who are catching fish do. You can have 50 people on a wharf and it will be the same 4 or 5 who consisitantly catch fish. Get yourself as close to them as possible and observe what they're using for bait, the rig they use, where they cast etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 9:58pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Learn to tie good knots,learn to cast properly even fishing from a boat and RELAX!!!A lot of big fish hit when you arn't watching the rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tga fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 9:21am
tga fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think good planning and keep your options open. That is, do the research, from fishing reports in the local paper and on local television (such as Rotorua TV), and of course the info gleaned from this website and others. But be warned sometimes too much info can do your head in. Then plan your trip but always have a plan B and sometimes C & D. I have a mid sized trailer boat and fish mostly out of Tauranga. My plan is often to get out deep for terakihi and you never know maybe a hapuka but invariably I'm knocked back by the weather so then fish the middle grounds to inshore for snapper or gurnard and if really bad then inside the harbour. I generally carry four rods - two softbaiters and two overhead bottom rigs (although more often just use the softbaiting gear) and have all terminal tackle pre-tied in zip lock bags ready for a quick change.

Took my kayak up to my favourite spot in the Firth of Thames on Saturday. Started off with my favourite Pink Shine and then Nuclear Chicken (never miss lures in this spot) and struggled for 2 hours with one 30cm fish in the bin. Changed to a softbait that I had practically given up on, the Gulp Sand Eel and got in real close over the kelp and cast outwards onto the sand/mud and skipped the lure along the bottom and had my limit of nice pannies in the next hour. 90% of the time I softbait with 2 lure types but i always put in a range of rarely used ones of different shapes and sizes for that day when nothing seems to work.
Sorry - out of office - GONE FISHING
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 9:38pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Learn how to tie a Uni knot,  when out fishing take particular notice of how others are setting up there gear, good and bad and pay notice to the 10%ers catching the fish as they are doing it the right way.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 5:30pm
snapper14 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Keep it simple. You don't need to buy the shop to get started. (despite what some of the tackle ho's on here will have you believe. Some of them must be on commissionLOL)

Also be prepared to put some time into it. Don't expect to be successful by fishing in the middle of the day over christmas holidays while there are two zillion other people zoomimg all over the place and making noise. Get up early and sneak out for a quiet morning session or head out after dinner for a few hours once the kids are asleep.

If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 7:49am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is no one tip for newbies.

But Safety First, better to be safe, than sorry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 12:02pm
bush billy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

SAFETY

So you live to learn.
Allso can learn alot on this site ,as i haveBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 11:38pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always respect nature and yourself... that way you dont put yourself (and others) in harms way and dont blame the fish if theyre aint biting.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 8:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Fish with as many different people in as many different situations as you can and watch what they do. Learn from their successes and failures. I think that qualifies as one thing. It would if a politician was saying it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 12:55pm
tmmo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

go fishing wit someone who knows what they are doing! you will learn alot very quickly. I guess if you are fishing off a boat maybe a half day charter in that area would be an investment worth while, sure it will cost you a bit of money, but in the long run it will be cheap, think of all the bait, petrol, gear that you will waste catching nothing while you learn.

And ask questions, I have fished in auckland for about 10 years using bait, and done pretty well, but could not get a bite on soft plastics, posted a few questions, sent a few pms, and now it is my favourite type of fishing, catch just as many as i used to on bait, but have lot more fun doing it! most people on here are really generous with their knowledge, so do not be afraid to ask!

Good luck Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:34pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get out on the water and fish.

Don't listen to advice  - many people have told me "There's no fish there.", "It's the wrong tide.", "You can't catch snapper at that time of the day.", "Your rig is wrong.", "Your hooks are wrong.", "Snapper don't like metal traces.", "Only use this bait", etc. In the end I catch more fish than anyone and if asked, the secret is GET OUT ON THE WATER AND FISH!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 10:23am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

think out side the square when land based fishing .and you wont  have too walk miles to catch fish eg plenty of fish are caught where people walk at low tide, fish there over the high tide Wink
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 11:54pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go on a charter, you will learn more on a charter boat than anywhere else!
NGATI PAKEHA        I was born here too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 9:40pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Never tell your wife that the $700 combo you just bought is the last rod you will need as it will last a life time. It took me 3 months to get sign off to buy a soft bait setup after making that claim for the last purchase !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:32pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Grant Dixon Grant Dixon wrote:

If you could pass on just one tip to a new angler what would it be an why?

Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Even a seemingly dumb question is better than none at all!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 8:04pm
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trust your gear.If something fails work out why and sort it.

HAVE FUN and keep your expectations low.
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:11am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Remember that monster fish may have taken  years to get ,take your time in landing it ,whats another miniute or so to get it right ..then start yarhowing
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:55pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

learn to use your depth sounder/fishfinder.
most fishermen dont really know how to use it correctly.
once you know how to use it ...believe it, if it says theres fish own there there is....its up to you to work out how to catch them!.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Page  <1234>