FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:27am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember reading about the blue ones, I think they often go green/black next moult

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 6:01am
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They make the perfect snapper baits!
NGATI PAKEHA        I was born here too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 9:50pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

juciy, where did you get the 50 per person limit from?.
the restrictions on taking koura were lifted some time ago due to an omission in the freshwater fishery legislation. as far as i know there is no limit and the taking of them is permitted.

they are however a living being and should be treated with respect, not to be held in captivity for your amusment. let them stay where they are.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:47pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DuckFather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:31am
DuckFather View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

where can i get these i wellington? one of the boys keeps pestering me to take him out for some, says they are a meeean feed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote big blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 6:58am
big blue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wear i go on holiday each year we catch heaps of them, cook them up and they are tasty as if you fry them in a little butter and garlic, we had people coming from other campsites asking what the smell was...............they are tassssty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Youngfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 8:06am
Youngfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dude those looking amazingly good willie, look better than crays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aji_tsuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:38pm
aji_tsuri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm getting excited!!  Supposedly you can catch them with a big bunch of twigs and branches and some bait (if you don't have a trap).  Basically get some bait and put it in the middle of the twigs and tie it up in a bunch and then drop it in on a rope.  Next day lift it out.  The koura craw in between the twigs/branches trying to get to the bait and get stuck/can't be bothered leaving.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:15pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Many moons ago in Taupo, we'd go around some rocky shorelines, turn over rocks carefully and manage to grab them if ya quick...boiled in a pot on campfire, incredibly edible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep. We used to get them from the boat harbor in Taupo... my mates had customary rights. We used a ball of tangled thread around some stinky old meat for bait, + a rock sinker and handline. The greedy little buggers will hold on to the bait if you lift them gentley untill the surface of the water at which stage you slip a butterly net under them- made out of your mums stockings and a coat hanger. As previously mentioned a bit of garlic and butter and you've got poor mans scampi!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:59am
Dark Horse View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea we catch them by walking up the stream an turning over logs and stuff then grabbing them on their back, Suposibly they aren't able to be able to grad you with their nippers their but i swear some a double jointed! I reacon they taste just like crayfish just sweeter ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:33am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they are big buggers you got mate, Well done!
I will have to go check my secret spot and see if I can find a bigger one..

Originally posted by TG

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aji_tsuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 3:00pm
aji_tsuri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow!  They're beasts!  I've only ever seen ones half that size.  Are they from a large pool?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JordanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:07pm
JordanM View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

people farm them in their rice paddys... 
"size doesnt matter" tell that to the fisheries!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 8:52am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow Willie those have got to be the biggest Freshwater bugs I have ever seen.
Probaly a good place to post a warning if anyone see,s one of these type of Freshwater crays to contact your local D.O.C of M.A.F office the major difference is the claws are smooth instead of spiny they are an imported threat to our native ones , it was,nt that many years ago a kid picked one up outside a gas station in West Auckland so they are still out there maybe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:19am
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

woh willy they look deliscymo ! mite have to have a looksie under a few rocks next time im out in the bush , are you finding them in the stiller pools or moreso the flowing water?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:08am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

piha stream has them too. I bet they wont last very long in your aquarium thing either. They like to wander around a bit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:24am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had one in an aquarium whan I was a kid.
It ate my fish :(
Then mum took it out and put it in a glass so we could sort a new home for it.
When we got home, the sun had moved and nippy was dead
Originally posted by TG

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 4:55pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

went out lookin for these critters today , took the kids and a butterfly net,found a nice rocky stream  and stated lookin under rocks and logs etc , caught a cupla eels that was all she wrote. went to another stream where i had seen a small one once befor and asked the park ranger if it was ok but no regional park outa bounds for takin the koura. he said they were only small critters in the stream and he used to get them around the edges of lakes with torches at night ...aah well was a nice walk in the bush with the kids anyway !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aji_tsuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 11:49am
aji_tsuri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just in case I get out sometime after these, anybody got any guidelines (other than the bag limit of 50)?

1.  What is a suitable size to take, etc?   -   In the unlikelihood that you did get a decent amount (or anything near the 50 limit) you wouldn't really want to end up taking a bunch of juvenile ones effecting the population.

Things I'd presume:
2.  Release any in berry (except those with smooth claws) to protect the population 
3.  Keep any with smooth claws (and let DOC know).  I presume the ones with smooth claws are just as edible.
Page  <123>