FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote aji_tsuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 12:22pm
aji_tsuri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by roddholder roddholder wrote:

juciy, where did you get the 50 per person limit from?.
the restrictions on taking koura were lifted some time ago due to an omission in the freshwater fishery legislation. as far as i know there is no limit and the taking of them is permitted.

they are however a living being and should be treated with respect, not to be held in captivity for your amusment. let them stay where they are.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Its not an obvious bag limit!  50 is the the combined bag limit for "Other Shellfish".  A seach on the MFish website reveals that Koura (freshwater crayfish) was previously listed as one othe other shellfish.  However, the definition now for the "Other Shellfish" doesn't actually mention Koura, it just states "• This is a combined, mixed-species bag limit. It applies to all shellfish species not specifically named above and includes paddle crabs."  You may be right that there is no limit, but probably MFish should clarify but some may say that the definition is quite obvious (I don't as I, like probably a lot of people, would look for Koura and not find it).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote squid4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 9:03pm
squid4life View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

does anyone have any hints or tips on getting them? any streams around whangarei?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 10:36am
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Almost any small stream will have them, but try around the paraki hills area.  If you dont have a net cut some ti tree bush, put some oily meat in the middle and throw in the creek overnight.  Come back the next day and should have a heap stuck in them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moistpipi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:18am
Moistpipi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just make sure the water isn't any warmer than where you found them.
I always caught them by finding a stream (any stream),
Finding a small pool with mud on the bottom,
Then just lift up small to medium rocks to find them.
Just make sure you put the rock back afterwards.
I think blue one's mainly come from down south as the water were i've found them in wellington has been quite chilly.
If you keep looking eventualy you will find one though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AquaponicsXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:12pm
AquaponicsXX View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by michael29973 michael29973 wrote:

ive got millions of them in a creek that runs through my house but sadly i live in wellington.. LOL

Hi mate,

I am living in Wellington. Could you please show me where you got those freshwater crayfish? I just built an aquaponics system at my backyard and would like some freshwater crayfish to put in my water tank. You could email me at [email protected] 

Thanks a lot.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Xiang
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 5:08pm
Johnson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, everybody. Finally where can find a koura in Auckland? I went to the Birkenhead this week, it is a war park, didn't see any pool in it. Only some very small creeks. Please email me if you know i i can see it. Thanks. [email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:04pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im thinking one of Worksux crab pots left over night in a deep pool should give some reward?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:43pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

any koura that are in streams around auckland or any other big city for that matter should be left alone.  if they come out of small streams they are usually tiny anyway.  these small streams are fragile eco systems and if all the punters start taking from them it wont take long to wipe them out.  i wonder if most people have any real respect for our native fauna.  if you must take them to eat go to the rotorua lakes, plenty of big ones in there and a big enough population that your not going to wipe a small streams population out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdventureGeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:18am
AdventureGeek View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey friends I have just built a pond and have been searching for where I could get a few Koura to put in it...my kids are crazy to catch 1 and would love to have an experience of watching a few on our pond. I am in South Auckland but have never found a spot to see these crays. Does anyone know a exact stream/ spot please email me on [email protected] very much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:51am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would be very careful who you share locations with on an open forum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  andy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:50pm
andy101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

a creek that is running through your house is not good for resale .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote where crayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
where crayfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys,
i just went to park hill road and parked right beside the sign that was the reserve then i went in turned left and kept on walking and i eventually say three little pools put my trap down there and came back next morning and nothing thereUnhappyso where is this spot with loads of crayfish 
( i am going to release it into my pond)
Page  <123