FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote howzit_kzn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRESHWATER CRAYFISH
    Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 6:01pm
howzit_kzn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

HI guys hope yourll all doing well and fishing is great, now i need help, where can i get these freshwater crayfish from im in auckland in the north shore?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 11:02am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what do you want to do with them
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 5:14pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lake Otatoa
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote howzit_kzn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 5:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

hi guys thanks for the reply, i want to put one or two in a water garden im building at home its quiet big and the pet shop has them for $30 bucks each so i thought id get them myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote howzit_kzn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 5:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

another thing are you allowed to catch them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 9:11pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

don't tell me that a fella cant go get a couple of crawlies now...
hell this bloody 2 systems in one country is ridiculous
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote orange ruffie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:21am
orange ruffie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

they taste good too i get them out south
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 9:39am
snapper mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi when i was a kid we went to ness valley hunting for goats and i found them in the creek. No hunting there now. Not sure if you are allowed to take them.
If i fished like i lied i`d be good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michael29973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 5:20pm
michael29973 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ive got millions of them in a creek that runs through my house but sadly i live in wellington.. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote howzit_kzn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 5:44pm
Bronze
Bronze

damn wish thats creek was in auckland..there is know restrictions in taking them?if you can buy it at the pet shop
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michael29973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 6:07pm
michael29973 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The only place I know you can't take them is lake taupo - I think thats the only area though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Youngfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 7:56am
Youngfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im sure no one will mind you taking a couple for your garden though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 9:53am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by howzit_kzn howzit_kzn wrote:

HI guys hope yourll all doing well and fishing is great, now i need help, where can i get these freshwater crayfish from im in auckland in the north shore?

Mate, I've got the perfect place for you!

The creek that runs down through the bottom of Parkhill Road in Birkenhead has a fair few as well as mature inanga (Galaxiidae) aka native trout. I used to live in Berne Place and the creek ran through our property. 

The upper reaches seemed to have a higher population of lobster as there were more pools. There is no public access to the creek from Berne Place, but you can take the track that is about half way down Parkhill Rd on the left hand side and head off to the left when you get to the bridge over the creek. You'll come to a 'Y' junction (big pine tree to your left) somewhere along the line. Turn left and head up the creek.

There's a nice big pool (20 - 30mins walk if that) that had plenty. Use a small hook with a small piece of bacon or steak and you should be in. Used to eat them and they tasted beautiful!

There are some pretty big eels in that creek too.

We used to catch them day and night. Go at night and you may come across the glow worms.

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 9:58am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

There's a nice big pool (20 - 30mins walk if that) that had plenty. Use a small hook with a small piece of bacon or steak and you should be in. Used to eat them and they tasted beautiful!

I hope that you are referring to the Koura there  Wink. I have heard that those 'native trout' are keen on a small bit of bacon also. 

I lived in Parkhill Rd for years and never knew the Koura were there. Bugger!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 10:16am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

I hope that you are referring to the Koura there  Wink. I have heard that those 'native trout' are keen on a small bit of bacon also. 

Of course

Didn't see a lot of the native trout, mostly saw them close to home in the evenings/night. They were big as far as those things grow.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 5:45pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go buy one of those green trap style nets, if they are there then you will get them, best to get them at night to the seem a bit less shy. And take enough home for a feed too! they are tasty lil critters
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goneburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 8:01pm
Goneburger View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Originally posted by howzit_kzn howzit_kzn wrote:

Mate, I've got the perfect place for you!

The creek that runs down through the bottom of Parkhill Road in Birkenhead has a fair few as well as mature inanga (Galaxiidae) aka native trout. I used to live in Berne Place and the creek ran through our property. 

The upper reaches seemed to have a higher population of lobster as there were more pools. There is no public access to the creek from Berne Place, but you can take the track that is about half way down Parkhill Rd on the left hand side and head off to the left when you get to the bridge over the creek. You'll come to a 'Y' junction (big pine tree to your left) somewhere along the line. Turn left and head up the creek.

There are some pretty big eels in that creek too.

We used to catch them day and night. Go at night and you may come across the glow worms.

That's cool info Finatic !  Sounds like an awesome ecosystem right in the middle of jaffa land - let's hope it doesn't end up polluted or cleaned out by the punters though - that wld be a real shame 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 11:00am
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That sounds awesome Finatic, just up the road from me.  I've had a walk up a few of the local streams an there is quite a bit of life in them, they have done a great job cleaning them up and planting.

Not sure about whether you can legally take them (Koura) or how many, I know you used to be able too but now they are under the jurisdiction of DOC, waiting on them to call me back and will post what they say.  Might find that the native ones are protected or customary rights only but the imported red claw crays are fair game - I think they are bigger too, which helps if you're greedy like me!

L.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 1:38pm
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A bit late on the response but you can take them, 50 per day per person, no size limit restrictions but there may be some local legality from local governers like Taupo etc. 

Hopefully I get some time to go and pick some this weekend.  Thanks for the tip on catching them too Finatic, I was just going to make a boxed net and pick it up the next day, but more likely never see it again haha

More fun fishing for them, might take the kids from next door with me, keep them out of trouble for a few hours!

Any tips on cooking them?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 12:27am
Bobby View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there i caught afew crawlies/koura/freshwater crayfish in a local stream and was wondering if i could put them in warm water such a a tropical fish tank its not to warm also in aussie they have freshwater crayfish that look identical in tropical tanks any feedback on this would be great ...also if any1 nos were i could get blue ones in NZ as ive seen in videos thtd also be great thanks guys.
Page  123>