Top 10 Marlin lures for New Zealand

Page  <12345 16>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:21pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jimmy Nail, I agree the Broadbill lures are great and if I could afford a few i would buy some, but the prices are pretty steep.

On the boats I have been fishing on for the last 10 years or so we have had no marlin shots on the short lures, all on the Riggers or shotgun, I have tried all sorts of lures in the short positions.

One of the problems with fishing in the BOP is the lack of fish and hence you do not know if the lures are working or not in those positions you may just be zigging when you should be zagging. A really good day in the BOP is 3 shots, during the height of the northland season when the fishing is good 3 shots is often a pretty poor day, in those situations you get to know which lures are working and those that are not over a couple of weeks fishing, not the case down here, even at Waihau Bay it can be pretty hard work unless you get there when it is really firing which usually only lasts a couple of weeks.

What are peoples idea of a really good short corner or long corner lure from a fizz boat. Note I am not that keen on really big lures so something about 10 to 12 inches is what I am looking for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:28pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JIMMY NAIL JIMMY NAIL wrote:

I use broad bill custom lures,

translucent lumo squid
amber spotted squid
bill hall old blue
grander
Kona head, in blue and pink

All these have worked for me and they are extremely well made. Alot of these lures have been used by the old timers for decades!!!!!!
100's of fish have fallen to these boys

Great lures I have several including the ones you mention

I wounder where is the correct position and what is the correct way to rig them, especially the old blue?????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JIMMY NAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:40pm
JIMMY NAIL View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you live in Auckland go and see Fred bailey at broad bill custom lures he'll spend days with you telling you what to do he's caught more fish than most!! and hand makes the lures according to what you're fishing for and what area and what bait you're trying to imitate.

great south road, penrose

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 9:50pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you live in Auckland go and see Fred bailey at broad bill custom lures he'll spend days with you telling you what to do he's caught more fish than most!! and hand makes the lures according to what you're fishing for and what area and what bait you're trying to imitate.

great south road, penrose

As like most lure makers they all have stories to tell.

I have met Fred and he has lots to tell, and he has his own way of fishing, like most others.

If we all brought Broad bill lures we would all catch fish, but there are other lure makers that do just as well.

I have about 300 lures but still do not have the right one as im a wannbe / marlin fisherman.

May be there is a lot more to catching - Marlin than trawling or fishing for or trying or having lots of luck.
Some times I get lost but one thing for sure I will never catch one looking at the computer screen, but what I hope to do is narrow down the lures I have to ones that catch.

Can you list any other lures you would use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 9:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Jimmy Nail, I had a few discussions with Fred in the late 1980's and early 1990's up in the BOI at various tournaments, he has a huge amount of knowledge that he was willing to share. Pity I never got a chance to fish with him it would have been interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 9:58pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Jimmy Nail, I agree the Broadbill lures are great and if I could afford a few i would buy some, but the prices are pretty steep.

On the boats I have been fishing on for the last 10 years or so we have had no marlin shots on the short lures, all on the Riggers or shotgun, I have tried all sorts of lures in the short positions.

One of the problems with fishing in the BOP is the lack of fish and hence you do not know if the lures are working or not in those positions you may just be zigging when you should be zagging. A really good day in the BOP is 3 shots, during the height of the northland season when the fishing is good 3 shots is often a pretty poor day, in those situations you get to know which lures are working and those that are not over a couple of weeks fishing, not the case down here, even at Waihau Bay it can be pretty hard work unless you get there when it is really firing which usually only lasts a couple of weeks.

What are peoples idea of a really good short corner or long corner lure from a fizz boat. Note I am not that keen on really big lures so something about 10 to 12 inches is what I am looking for.

Thanks for your comments I have read with interest, my friend i fish with runs a blade runner copy, and we have only caught 1 marlin in 4 years

We have worked out that we are trawling in a desert, but with the 2 motors we will be running the lures further back this year as we feel that in a trailer boat, the motor noise the white wash and the turbulence, is to much for close running of lures, and in a trailer boat the length of the wave pattern is shorter so we are going to double the wave patterns normally used.

Marligator What boat do you run, is it a trailer job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2SHITS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 10:28pm
2SHITS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My top 3 strikers LOL...  Need some new skirts for the bonze - any ideas?

Whilst not to attractive the williamson was the lure getting the most activity off the east coast - We were running our lures close to strike on the drag and failing - tried softer drags and they got dropped Confused ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 10:49pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by wanabe wanabe wrote:

We have worked out that we are trawling in a desert, but with the 2 motors we will be running the lures further back this year as we feel that in a trailer boat, the motor noise the white wash and the turbulence, is to much for close running of lures,

ask lance about the stripey that ate our Broadbill anrgy squid lure 1m from the transom in the middle of some pretty nasty wash..... 10m boat, twin outboards.....it looked like a grade 5 white water rapid yet the stripey still smashed the snot out of the lure in front of our eyes

In the latest Blue water all the favourite stripey lures for oz are smaller straight running lures........elephants eat peanuts it seemsWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 11:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

Wanabe - I fish either from my mates 6m AMF or my own 4.65m Mclay. My mate used to have a McLay 17 fisherman and the marlin used to take the short lure (10m from back of boat) no probs, but since getting his AMF in 1996 we have not had a single marlin hit on a flat line lure. Although I have to admit we do not run the rigger lures that far back as the outriggers are not that high.

On my small boat only had it for two seasons and had the one shot on a flat line but that was only because I did not have outriggers at the time, this year no marlin strikes at all but that is Tauranga for you.

The first marlin I was ever involved with from a private boat was a stipey which took a kahawai swimmer bait run about 25-30 feet behind a 9.9hp motor we were trolling with, it was running at nearly full noise pushing us along at about 4 knots and making a hell of a noise, but it did not scare the marlin.

Yes it is an intersting read that article in the latest Blue Water magazine, well worth a read guys. If I was fishing off the west coast which is essentially a striped marlin fishery I would only troll smaller lures of 6 to 10 inches. 

Interesting that most people say troll big lures in close and small lures further back, when I use to fish with Barney MacGibbon on his boat Pisces one of our most successful lures was a little lure similar to a pakula cockroach but only about 2/3 the size and we use to run this about 25 feet off the back of the boat and it got hit alot, especially by smaller marlin. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 11:37pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting sound like there is no reason as to why what and when just if. I guess it just time on the water 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 7:11am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wanabe,
amongst your 300 lures have you got a Hooker BS or MS white/brown(Ghost)? I run one religiously and it hogs the action (when there is action),is it a good lure or is it because I give it the best window and most time in the water or all of the previousSmile 
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JIMMY NAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 7:39am
Platinum
Platinum

300 lures !!!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JIMMY NAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 7:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Wanabe,
Have you been on a game fishing charter before? If not I'd strongly recomend going on one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:23am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

guys, he has mentioned they have got marlin, they run a cat and in 4 yrs have got one marlin

you have to be doing it right, you need fine tuning to get the best out of your gear.

personally I would be running 4 sets and if you have one a spare for an already rigged bait,

lures are simple, straight runners and 12inches is heaps, in fact the 5.5 is the biggest lure in my spread.

as for setting your gear, ok so you have decided where you going to run your lures, I am at a loss as to why so far back?
your boat white water the harmonics are all part and parcel to teasing the fish your after, your long corner for me would be where i decide its easy stuff, mine is the same side as my prop spins??????????

here is a tip now i dont know how many times I have said it, dont wait like alot do and set the boat up during the season, me I set mine up come late October early November.

no marlin around then or is there? but anyways I tow gear up and down the harbour in flat conditions.
this allows me to see my pressure wave, yes I have a 38ftr but hell at times it is hard to see the wave.

ok I now set my out riggers 1st, when they are running where I want and at a speed that I like i then get power gum and make the loops up they are very easy To make them up I do not release the line from the rigger I pull it down and make the loop, there is still tension on the line so this helps, the same can be done with dacron loops but power gum is the bomb.
ok so you have set up both sides with power gum loops? reset to the hieght you like on the rigger.

ok now you set up your short and long corners. easy stuff now what I have done is to set the corners but i also tie a half side of a power gum loop, when this hit the rod tip my lure is set, simple stuff however i do run both corners with bent butts. and when I dont I run short tag lines, these are ajustable to allow me to set the hieght of the line to the lure, easy stuff ay.
I also run a shot gun if I have crew for it.........
ok so your set and they are swimming nice, ok lets fine tune them a bit.

I mentioned speed its not all about 8kts dont be fulled by that, you need to run you boat where it is comfortable and where your lures are working, you will know if they are not they look sluggish and dont pop and carry on.
Peter P makes the hybrids, they can be towed alot slower, the guy puts thought into his designs etc so it pays to read or watch his dvds etc.

ok speed up the boat your at 8kts the lures start to bounce, no good slow down until they settle down it maybe just 6.5kts it may be 7 etc.

ok looking good so now you add either a power gum loop or a dacron sleeve to each rigger line they should be about 2m from the initial loop. this depends on your set up.
ok the reason for this is simple, sea conditions lure speed and head type, these extra loops allow you to get the best out of your boat speed lure hight and best out of your lure
now in a sea it may mean you have to slow down, bugger my lures are not running, easy stuff pull the lure in to the 1st loop and set it, this adds more hieght or it maybe the other way let it out to the last loop.
when you have dacron loops or P/G loops it is so simple to set up hell my young fella does it. they are always there and always back to that same old spot in the wash.

ok so you have been trying for 4 years and got one, big deal many try and never even see one, the boat must be working all you need to do is tune it all to work, and you mention towing lures in a desert, well very true but mate this is where you need to be in the club room ahving a beer and listening to the talk, use the resourse it is free, no good going in the opposite direction to the fish, then above all you need to be on your game, no good sleeping you need to be looking scanning investigating anything you see, a bird on the water  a floating piece of crap current lines and know how to use those current lines, ask any game fisherman worth his salt and they tell you how to work a line, forget about those who say the troll up and down them you need to work them.
guys that get a marlin in there 1st season, its great they have done what alot want, but then come the following season they dont get any maybe the odd shot, well were they lucky the 1st time, I recon a guy who looses 10 marlin then gets one will be the most thrilled, why cause he has felt the pain of loosing a few and he has earnt this one.
patience and time on the water, straight running lures be prepared it will happen.
and as I have said many times patience and time on the water also the remeber the 6 Ps

oh I have not always owned a launch I have run 3 trailer boats as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:30am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This thread is seriously insaine.
Do people here really think there is a magic lure? Or do you think the lures you tow most are the ones you catch the most on?
Nearly 20% of the fish caught in the forum stats were caught on the Zuker 5.5. So does anyone really think if the Zuker was banned from our waters because it was unfair to fish that our catches would drop by 20%?..........No of course not, we would tow some other bit of plastic and do just as well. We caught over 50marlin on the Pacific FruitSalad, wow sounds impressive...that must be a great lure.........well NO, it was towed every time we went fishing and only caught 25% of the fish we caught(1 of 4 lines towed), didnt tow it at all this year and still managed to catch a few,,,The piece of plastic that replaced it caught its 25% worth.
I mean if you look at the Stats, one of the most successful lures ever isnt there, the moldcraft wide range......is that because its crap....is it because it doesnt work here.......or is it because no one here towed one much.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:33am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stop making sense Adam LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:44am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Interesting that most people say troll big lures in close and small lures further back, when I use to fish with Barney MacGibbon on his boat Pisces one of our most successful lures was a little lure similar to a pakula cockroach but only about 2/3 the size and we use to run this about 25 feet off the back of the boat and it got hit alot, especially by smaller marlin. 

Funny thing for me too When I started I knowed nufing and I put the big lures out past the littleuns and had far more interest. Now I've learned and I figure this was just a fluke LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:49am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

:P good ideas - i have my personal fav lures, and they were the ones that got the attention this year - i think the most important thing is simply this, after your lures are working right, your planned and have systems in place for when that  strike comes and your alert and "hunting" the fish rather then sleeping its this simple

Pay your money, take your chances...

its the simple
Plan, time, money patients

it wil come.

gee tow a jandle or a thong long enough, eventually your get one :P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EZ.ON.PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:58am
EZ.ON.PC View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use broad bill custom lures,

translucent lumo squid
amber spotted squid
bill hall old blue
grander
Kona head, in blue and pink

All these have worked for me and they are extremely well made. Alot of these lures have been used by the old timers for decades!!!!!!
100's of fish have fallen to these boys
Top lures you are on to it Wink add the old 5.5 zuk and puk lumo thats all you need.
I want a big one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 10:10am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh well Wannabe you have all the info there mate, go put it into practice, remember each boat is different, listen to those who have got a few and use the knowledge gained, cause they are not one day warriors they know there stuff

go hard and practice and experiment, we all have
Page  <12345 16>