Light tackle rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light tackle rods
    Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 8:18pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi

We did the nationals this year out of Napier targetting Albies and Skippies and had an awesome time. We used whatever gear we had already, but had a lot of trouble landing fish on 1kg (we only landed 2 or 3 fish).

We learned a lot of lessons for what rigs, what speeds what approach to take but felt our gear wasn't quite up to 1kg standard and want to get something for next years comp.

My question is what would the ideal set up be for 1kg gamefishing? We are looking at getting a tyrnos 8,  but are not sure of the ideal rod to match it with. The problem is we are struggling to find a rod that has a small enough gap between the bottom two eyes and the line then touches the rod. Do you know of a decent rod that will avoid this but is still suitable for 1kg line?

Any ideas would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Brett
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 8:20pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hell Brett your a keen bugger and only 2 or 3 on 1k dam mate bloody fantastic, will watch this with interest,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 8:24pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

you would be talking some serious rods there IMO.   hope Dohboy sees this??
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 9:21pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BFIST - I do a lot of chasing snapper/kahawai/Trevally on 1 kg and use a ABU 5600C4 reel with a Ryobi Superlight SPLS 6500 rod, which is a two piece overhead rod which I find ideal for 1 kg line, however I do not know if you can get hold of these rods anymore it is about 10 years old. Another option is to contact Leon and Barbara  Woodill of Rodworks (Offshore Rods 07 5434416) and get them to make a rod for you.

I would love to have a lever drag reel but there are no lightweight leverdrags that I believe are suitable for 1kg line which you can also cast a light bait with. For 3 and 4 kg line I use shimano charter special TR1000LD's but I do not think they are suitable for 1 or 2 kg line as the gap by the spool is wide enough to allow the line to go down the side of the spool which is a no no for this line weight plus they are not that good for casting a light bait, ok for bigger baits though.

One thing that I think is important is to use reels with level winds which move with the line in free spool so that when the reel is in gear the line is always lined up with the centre of level wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 8:40pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Definately talk to the lovely people at Rodworks. I have played with a couple of their 1kg class rods and they are superb. Have you considered going to an egg beater? The small Daiwa spinning reels like the Sol, designed for the softbait fraternity has a brilliant drag and with the guides on the underside of the rod no problems with the line touching the blank while under pressure.

I guess you have realised the problem on 1 with skippies and albies...when hooked they zoom back to the school where the backs of other fish inevitably cut you off. Oh and the explosive strike LoL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 9:47pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of the best places for skippies on light tackle is when they are meatballing off whakatane and you cube them up to the boat. You are hooking them right beside a stationary boat and there is not a big school either so you don't have the problem as much with other fish hitting your line.

I had some friends several years ago who were chasing them on 2 kg and were able to hook fish at the side of the boat with the swivel a couple of feet off the rod tip and the fish would sit still for a second or two after hook up and they were able to grab the trace and lift the fish straight into the boat these were skippies all around the 5 kg mark (potential NZ records at the time), all totally within the rules, however they never weighed any of these fish in as they said it was not within the spirit of fishing. Sometimes wish some of the ultra light tackle people up north were so ethical I am sure some of the record chasers up there would have claimed these fish for records, all that matters is that it is a record not how they were caught.  If they were too slow they got popped off every time by the fish just going too fast and too far with water pressure popping the line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 9:51pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you thought about finding a rod you like that has the action you need then getting the guide spacings changed to suit.To change the guide spacings of the guides and even add another guide would cost bugger all.To underbind,overbind and supply a guide would be around $40-$50,to move an existing guide would be less.just a thought,i went thru this same scenario when i had a rod built for 1 pd braid and in the end had a custom rod built. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:25pm
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

talk to leon at rodworks, i have one of his 2kg o/h rods and its brilliant, run a small charter special on it for 2,3,4kg lines and all work sweet as, club records to boot.

he makes some lovely gear and could make you something to suit your needs really easily.
plenty of others out there doing it aswell but i have only used leons gear and wouldn't go past it for the light stuff - better than getting off the shelf products imho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JIMMY NAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 11:25pm
JIMMY NAIL View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The boat has alot to do with landing game fish (marlin) on light tackle. I've witnessed the old outer limits with guy jacobson on board perform some amazing catches off the king bank a few years back. the skipper had that big riv 48 performing like a chinese gymnast. The marlin hardly had the chance to pull past the wind on leader!!