Southerly wind not good?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rakiura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southerly wind not good?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 3:29pm
rakiura View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I heard Matt on the ITM Fishing Show last night and have heard it before that 'when the wind's from the south the fish shut their mouth' . Can someone explain the biological reason why? I know I get zilched or close to it when there is a southerly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 3:59pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't know mate.. maybe it's got something to do with the cold wind?!

Anyway he sort of disproved his own theory with a pretty mean snapper session in the shallows!!

I really enjoyed last night's show... For me seeing a great firing day on snaps or kingies is a lot more exciting than seeing the episodes where they go chasing marlin or doing knarly stunts! Guess I can relate to it more.

Big ups to the Matt and the rest of the crew... easily my favourite show on TV, definately the only one I make sure I don't miss and definatley wouldn't be answering th phone /missus / baby when it's on LOL
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nic #### Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 5:49pm
Nic #### View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah its a mean show! nothing like a good snapper session!!
The harder you train, the luckier you get!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 9:12pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i bloody missed itAngry oh well will have to wait till tuesday....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Les Groper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 8:52am
Les Groper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Pretty much every fishing slogan can and has been disproved at some point.  The best time to go fishing is when you feel like it.
I too am lukewarm on watching marlin/big game fishing, though I've never tried it.  I like the kind of show where an uncommon method or a simple new trick is explained and used and gets results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 1:11pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't know why either but it holds true for me. Been at the Mokes and burley up, see the snapper maomao etc etc etc swimming with the sharks but no interest in the baits at all. Also had some serious bad days Puka fishing with only light Southerlies and that's in 200m of water I can't explain what it is but it is.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 1:31pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had shockers on nearly every wind direction, but when it's south it certainly seems to up the chances of the bite being shut down....the only thing I can put it down to is that Southerlies are more often than not associated with low pressure systems and this is what effects fishes appetites.....perhaps their swim bladders aren't as easy to maintain when the atmos pressure is at it's lowest there by effecting their abilities to swim/fed as normal.....buggered if I know....but what I do know is I can count the number of red hot sessions in a southerly flow on a one hand......certainly short sharp bites and those tend to occur when there is a slight change in direction or a lull.....good excuse thou....have even heard a charter skipper use it when there wasn't even any southerlies. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 3:22pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

.but what I do know is I can count the number of red hot sessions in a southerly flow on a one hand......

Kezz, would that be the hand with 6 fingers or your banjo a-playin' hand?
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 3:48pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

devastating repartee there Bentone.....Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 3:53pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watching our clients going out day after day, I have personally become a bit of a believer. I might go fishing in a SWer if really desperate, or maybe even a very light Sthly at a pinch (with low expectations other than a day on the briney), but don't even think about fishing in a SEer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WETA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 4:54pm
WETA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How about: When THE WIND IS IN THE EAST, THE FISHING IS THE LEAST. I find that whole direection East through to south is hard fishing. You can still catch fish but its hard work. 
LUCK = Labour Under Correct Knowledge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EZ.ON.PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 3:07pm
EZ.ON.PC View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dam it just my luck its a SE all weekend comming suck, we will see
I want a big one