Recipe for Hapuka

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingieslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recipe for Hapuka
    Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 9:29pm
kingieslayer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hello guys
i just want to know what's the best recipe for hapuka? missus always cook it with soup i dont know what she call that recipe. im just keen to know what other recipe for puka.
woman love me fish fear me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 10:17pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mont, my fav recipes for puka are:
- sashimied
- steamed fresh puka steaks- season steak with salt/pepper and pinch of 5-spice, steamed until just done (around 5mins) with bits of ginger, drizzled with shredded ginger fried golden brown along with some of the hot oil, drizzle with some sesame oil and fish sauce
- deep fried with bread crumbsBig%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 8:10am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I like to cut it in to chunks about the size of ciggy packets and lay it in a deep dish.
Slice to tomato and lay over the top.
Poor about 1/4 a cup of vinegar in to the dish.
Then dice some oinion and mix in with a cup or so of breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
Bake for 20mins or so until the fish turns white......

Beauty!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 10:20am
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best to boil it up with a good brick, say 3 hours then throw the rest out and eat the brick...

There is a good reason those fish live so far down – they should never be eaten when there are proper fish around....

Also accounts for the reason they have to be one of the ugliest fish about...

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 10:28am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

What the hell are you on about moggy Confused

Dont need your stingray recipes on here mate!

We are talking about HAPUKA....one of the better eaters out there IMHO.

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 10:37am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moggy Moggy wrote:

Best to boil it up with a good brick, say 3 hours then throw the rest out and eat the brick...

There is a good reason those fish live so far down – they should never be eaten when there are proper fish around....

Also accounts for the reason they have to be one of the ugliest fish about...

dude........... what the hell lol Hapuku is by far my favorite fish.. heck if your catching em and not liking them give em to me lol
I lvoe them - a reason there $39 per kg at the Auckland fish market buddy
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 10:55am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

One of the nicest in the ocean alright, right up there with mahimahi...mmmm....

Cook the wings and belly flaps the first night while fresh, make sure its scaled then cook with skin on and just dust with flour and cook in oil and butter...fat galore and probably the nicest feed you can have

However you cook puka it always comes up trumps, doesn't need a lot of other stuff with it, the nicest i think is pan fried with crispy skin to get the full effect of the fatty goodness!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hkt_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 11:16am
hkt_up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smoke the wings and throats with a bit of brown sugar after salting down for a few hours, can't go wrong that one.

You can cook it a million ways but I still like to do as Epic says, dust with a bit of flour and salt and pepper and on to the BBQ or good cast iron pan in a mixture of oil and butter. Cook until it's almost opaque in the centre then let it sit for a couple of minutes. Why disguise the flavour with tomatoes and all sorts of stuff?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 2:46pm
Uffy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep - Beautiful eating fish. Scale them and leave the skin on and simply crispy fry on its own. Definitely one of my favourites.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 3:35pm
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mrs cooked it the other day.
she made up a garlic butter and pasted that over the top of the steaks and baked it in the oven - only cook for about 10 minutes and it was tops - moist as.

as epic said as good as mahi,s actually managed a mahi and a puka in one trip last year so got a good comparison,

result = yum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Youngfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 4:04pm
Youngfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

is hapuka grouper...cause grouper is yuck and flavourless..i prefer good old spotties.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 4:06pm
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

spotties? - everybody to there own.
never tried one - sorry to hijack the thread but what recipe do you use for spotties?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingieslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 4:23pm
kingieslayer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

chers guys for the recipe i will try all recipe that you have mention here. hope i can catch this weekend.Big%20smile
woman love me fish fear me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Youngfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 8:06am
Youngfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

you use some oil salt a pan and a spottie. pan fry and its real tasty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 9:40am
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Glad you guys like them, personally I think the brick tastes better, but then it takes all sorts.

My hate probably goes back to the navy serving up Hapuka steaks every time they drained the dry dock (this was in the good old days when they owned the dry dock and never had “girls” on board!) – Coincidence maybe but it still ranks as one of the worse tasting fish I can think of...

Would be delighted to give them away, would take Kahawai any day over them – they taste far better.

However never let it be said that I don’t try - I will try your suggestion next time Epic as a last resort!!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 10:58am
marx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So do you guys generally fillet Hapuka more than steaks. Personally not a fan of steaks for any kind of fish.
Science for the mind and Art for the soul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chooki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:17pm
Chooki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That recipe is for Pukeko isn't it?  LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chooki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:22pm
Chooki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That recipe with a brick is definitely for Pukeko - not fish of any sort!LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:41pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cut thin not to thin snapper fillet thickness, and deep/pan crumbed fry them but do not over cook em, serve with crinkle cut chips :) best part of puka is the cheek's. smoke the frames boil the head premo fish...expect for bluenose terrors hake hoki all dorys
monkfish to name a few premo fish...