Rod building the good oil please

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 10:16pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Mike. Yeah, hopefully we'll get a bit of a break from this wind  and head out wide again Wink
Hows your boat progressing? must be getting close now.....Big smile
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 6:49am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Very nice MarkThumbs Up you like the CTS jigging blanks?? I have 2 CTS blanks,softbait and spinning, nice action ayeWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 8:16am
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah not too far away now, got the hardtop (came up awesome Thumbs Up) on yesterday so just got to finish the wiring now.
will give ya a bell when its done and you can call round for a look see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 9:01am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

here is one i just finished

6-8kg softie rod
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 9:03am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how r the rods u guys r building with dean any pics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 8:49pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All top secret broLOL
Na you will see when mine is finished
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 11:23pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's a site with alot of manufactures how-to guides posted on it:

http://www.merricktackle.com/tips/tips.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:21pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Very nice MarkThumbs Up you like the CTS jigging blanks?? I have 2 CTS blanks,softbait and spinning, nice action ayeWink

Very nice blanks - I have an Offshore SB rod built on a CTS and absolutely love it Smile The CTS Seamaster jig blank are also very nice to jig with...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:23pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Mitch, whats that wrap above the foregrip? looks very cool Wink 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 10:34pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice tiger there Greenguy, what brand is the EVA? That is a cool camo. Just got some deep water camo to try. Had a fish with it yet?
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 8:08am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

Hey Mitch, whats that wrap above the foregrip? looks very cool Wink 
tiger wrap they come out wicked and when they hit the sun they pop 
drop me a p.m and ill send u the tutorial Wink
u can get the grips from rod works in au
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 2:00pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just finished this - Acid wrapped, Synit Venom 150 blank with Alps harware.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 3:50pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet. What do think about the quality of the Alps guides? Is that their Tri Lex seat as well?
Might need a report on how that fishes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 11:36am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No complaints so far. Ive got a couple of rods with Alps hardware and so has my brother. Wouldnt bother spending the extra on Fuji guides again....Wink
Yep, that the Trilex seat. I used it for the first time on Saturday for a few hours - very comfortable to jig with, the finger grooves are spot on for jigging with the small SA20.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 11:39am
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mate you've certainly got the hang of the rod building thingThumbs Up
nice work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 8:51pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mark r u doing ur own glueing now???
good job the rod looks wicked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 8:27pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys Smile

Doing the epoxy work myself Mitch - its actually easier than it looks Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:38pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

Cheers guys Smile

Doing the epoxy work myself Mitch - its actually easier than it looks Wink
yea mate not hard at all just got to get rid of those pain in the ass bubbles hahaha o and dont eat mc ds and glue afterwards u get the mean fish eyesLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:41am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOLLOLLOL

Thin the epoxy down - dont get any bubbles that way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Anglerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 2:09pm
Anglerman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I once made a simple vacuum chamber to assist in the release of any bubbles. A large glass pickle jar with screw on lid allowed me to place mix in a mixing jar into the larger jar, place lid on (didn;t need to use a rubber seal) and I use a hand pump to remove air through hole in lid (had glued a washer onto lid to strengthen) with a small o ring around screw in bit of hand pump.You can use a bike pump but you need to fiddle with the valve as they are designed to be positive pressure devices. It wasn't high tech but it worked. Cost me next to nothing.

I found that most bubbles are introduced during the mixing if using a 2 part system and can be greatly reduced by warming the mix (hair dryer) and then eliminated entirely using the vacuum chamber. Some rod builders even flame off their final finish but I have never had to do this.

I agree that thinning is a good solution depending on the brand of coating being used. Differing schools of thought on numbers of coats but I have done up to three on some rods with a lot of threadwork. It also depends on whether you are also using a sealer on threadwork which can also contribute to bubbles on bindings and decorative wraps as the bubbles release after coating and can be a pain with some threads.

Being scrupulously clean re dust is also needed to get a perfect finish but your rod is immaculate in this regard. Hope the above is of interest.
There three types of people, those who watch things happen, those who let things happen and those who make things happen.
Page  <123>