Big Perch

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 3:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

Nine pound of big Perch caught on a lure at night time in Northland.(Not by me)

That is a frikken horse of a Perch! Dead baits at night you say??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 3:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ah caught on a lure thats still awesomeClap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 7:29pm
arjay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by sbeehre sbeehre wrote:

Originally posted by arjay arjay wrote:

Cam is playing cricket all weekend - had a good frost today - hope that doesn't put the brakes on.

nah Perch are one of the few coarse fish you can still catch in winter... ive been out at Hamilton lake during the middle of winter freezing my ass off and caught heaps.

Even in the states where they are highly regarded as table fish they say they will be average eating when caught out of warm or suspect water - cold clear water should be ok. Definately on my bucket list. Thumbs Up
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 7:51pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

3lb 6 oz  (as good as you can hope for out of some lakes due to over population)

Good luck with your future Perch hunt guys,
 Some things that have worked for us in the past and maybe worth a try for big Perch as far as baits go, the most consistent would have to be there smaller kin ,but a couple of others that are worth a shot are short sections of "Fresh"Eel about 3 inches long and the all time best one fresh water Crayfish (Koura).
To get an indication of any potential targets if you wear some good poloroids and go for a day of catching small ones between Sep- Dec (spawning time) quite often the big ones will follow the nippers in trying to fornicate with them.
Please take any advice from me with a pinch of salt as I am certainly no Perch Expert and are still trying to figure them out myself 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 8:50am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks Lemmy... i have been stocking up on berkley powerbait shads as well :) The only thing i was concerned about with the dead baits is bloody eels! do you get bothered with them much?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 11:45am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Unfortunatly yes and thats a whole new thread so I wo,nt get into it on this one ,but thats why we started using Eel sections.
Another approach is floatfishing under small pike floats to get above the Snakes "BUT" Perch are really good at detecting any resistance and will spit a bait quickly making it less effective than a free running ledger rig in my opinion. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aji_tsuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:48am
aji_tsuri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Perch seem to be quite popular in USA and canada for eating (also some European countries).  Wouldn't dream of it in the UK (though from the canals and lakes over there'd be tasting of mud).  Probably from a clear water lake they'd be OK.  Looking a the pics here they are much bigger in NZ than in the UK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:59pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ever tried stray lining your baits on a small overhead reel left out of gear with the clicker off, certainly works well on shy winter snapper in shallow water.

will they hit any salt water baits like anchovies, pilchards etc??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 9:33pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A good picture of the running ledger rig. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hrsepwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:06pm
hrsepwer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone, i m new at the forum here. I just need some help with regards to perch fishing at lake Ototoa. i went there last year but did not yield anything. i was a bit disappointed. any tips or suggestions? i m keen to get out there again this year and any bit of help and guidance would be helpful. i am new to fresh water fishing as well. what sort of flys or lures shall i be using? 

Thank you.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:19am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Welcome to the forum ,when you went up to Lake Ototoa last time,
 What methods were you using (flyfishing or spinning)?
 What type of lures or flys were you using?
 What time of year was it?
Some of the best spots in Ototoa are really only reachable by Boat.
 Perch are are quite an aggressive feeder and I have caught them on most of the patterns you would use for Trout in Ototoa the main food for predators up there would be Inanga,s or small fry from other fish(Perch and Rudd) so a good start would be a lure or streamer fished on a sinking line.
As far as lures go I would be looking at some of these fancy new Rubber inventions that are everywhere now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hrsepwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 11:48am
hrsepwer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went there around september last year.
 I was using Rapalas.  It was recommended by hunting and fishing.
 I was spinning using a 8lb braid. I did not take any soft plastic bait with me. i did not try any other baiting methods as well? was it do you think my line never even sank to the bottom considering the fact that i was using braid?

Do you  think i need to invest in an inflatable so i can row out and try different spots as opposed to spinning off the shore? but if i can catch some just by spinning off shore it would be a great confidence booster.

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:30pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We only use bibbed lures(Rapala,s etc ) on the boat for trolling or deep water work even drifting and flatline trolling with them is good and relaxing  if you get the drift right with a good wind which is rare.
If I was a retailer I would recomend Rapala lures as well considering their so expensive and its possible to lose a few lures in a few casts if your fishing the right spots near snags or under trees.
 In my opinion for spinning off the bank around the margins and multitudes of snags which Perch seem to love to hang out in so they can ambush their prey you get a lot more action out of rubber(unscented versions) or even your Veltic type lures , remember to take the trebles off and replace them with a single good quality hook then sweeten that hook up a bit by sliding on a few Worm sections. 
You can buy good Quality sinking dull coloured braid now not sure what you are using but if its your Flouresent floating braid that the boys use to fish washes with softbaits that could cause you problems.
A boat will open up so much more water for you in a multitude of lakes around New Zealand and is a great investment and a little electric motor is also handy if your keen to troll lures a lot of lakes have a ban on any other type of outboard .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hrsepwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:52pm
hrsepwer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thank you very much for the tips. Yes i see where my problem was. i was using the fluorescent floating braid for soft baiting, looks like that was the flaw to begin with. i will be going there in a few weeks to see how i do again. As i said i m only just new to fresh water fishing i will have to be patient this time around. i will be buying those unscented lures as well. I will be using a sinking line this time for sure. What time of the year do you recommend is the best for lake ototoa?

Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:14pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Summer time seems to be best probaly because of all the small fry around if you start getting strikes there are always more there as they like to shoal up.
Good luck let us know how you get on Lake Pupuke is also a good Perch spot and a bit closer to home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hrsepwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 11:08am
hrsepwer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thank you for all the tips. i will try lake pupuke as well. but i am more adventurous kind of person so i like to drive out a bit further plus i enjoy the scenic drive to ototoa. I will let you know how i get on.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ugly Duckling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:29pm
Ugly Duckling View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Canterbury  is blessed with two waters with world class perch. the Halswell River and the Okana River; both these have produced many perch over the years in excess of the magic 5lbs. Some 6 winters ago a dead fish partly eaten by rats weighed in at a little over 8lbs. These two waters have two things in comon, a lot of weed and a large head of rudd.
Live baits produce the most big fish including big eels, spinning and plug baits are sucessful in clearer water, fly fishing with large sparkle nymphs works well as do mini marabou jigs. By far the most successful is paternostering with large worms in the holes in the weed jungle or under the old man willows. Look for water with steady flow, a clean bottom and with a depth of 5 to 6 ft. Drop the rig in and wait no more than 5 minutes before moving on. Sometimes a couple of feet is enough to find a fish. Don't forget the big boys are usually loners having out lived their shoal members or eaten them. The best paternoster rig I find is a long link running ledger, aim to get the bait an inch or two above the bottom and on feeling the bite slacken off by dropping the rod tip, when the fish is felt lift into it. Big perch take their time on a sure meal like a static worm so do not hurry the strike!
Good luck, specimen perch are well worth while and big baits help to target the big boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 7:15am
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Lemmy do you know if there are big Perch in the Kai Iwi Lakes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sbeehre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 6:05pm
sbeehre View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

well i got a nice Perch today in Hamilton Lake! 2lb 11oz which is my biggest so far
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:12am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I,m not aware of any coarse fish in the Kai iwi Lakes although I,ve only been there once camping and we were only waterskiing that weekend.
What a nice Perch you caught there mate from your kayak was it on a lure or bait?
Page  <1234 5>