Big Perch

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 5:30pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sbeehre,
 We used to catch a lot of carp (more likly goldfish) as kids. They used to congregate and spawn under the road bridge where the outlet to the lake is or was by Innes Common. Largest was maybe 500gm, 99% olive green colour with only the odd orange/ black one. We only ever caught a couple on worms and that was in the stream that followed from the lake outlet.
Tench were not introducwed into the lake before I moved away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote indigo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:18pm
indigo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I caught a small (15-20cm) perch recently in a wee inlet on Lake Dunstan. Just spinning with a bronze toby from memory
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jutte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 7:13pm
Jutte View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When I was a kid - the biggest the Perch from memory I caught was 4lbs something .
My father caught one that was 6lbs - huge it was.
This was in Canterbury.
Seen one that was about 4lbs in Lake Dunstan  - it followed my spinner in -saw me and took off.
I was so surprised as I didn't know that they were in there.
Funnest thing I ever saw was Dad trying to scale a perch - we finally worked out how
to skin them - very nice and tasty !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jomimac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 11:53am
jomimac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi
My name is John McAngus, here in new Zealand until February. I chair the UK perchfishers and would like to make contact with anyone in the northland who fishes for big perch. Am staying in Opua
Struggling to find perch waters so far
John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 4:52pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

livebaits are the way to go for big perch, best 1s ive used is baby perch 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spastical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:25pm
spastical View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey all i live 30 minutes nw of kaiwaka ont he west coast in northland does anyone know of a specific river in this area that has perch in it the map on this site marks and area near me but the problem is the mark is very unclear and covers a large area which has mutiple waterways any help would be great cheers!  http://www.niwa.co.nz/freshwater-and-estuarieszffdIWA-fish-atlas/fish-species/perch - http://www.niwa.co.nz/freshwater-and-estuaries/nzffd/NIWA-fish-atlas/fish-species/perch

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 6:50am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Spastical,
There are perch in the old Warkworth Limeworks pond. You have to pay for entry and lots of kids swim in it Stern Smile. There used to be some big perch in there, but not sure of its status these days. You might want to talk to Dave Cooper at MTI in Warkworth. They have done some work with the aquaculture of perch and may know of populations in that area.
Most of Northland is devoid of perch and the populations that do exist are generally full of stunted individuals. The species seems to do best in the deep south where there are hard winters.
Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 8:22pm
Tinca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think you'll find that there is no longer an admission fee at the Warkworth cement works. Never fished it but when I did a walk around last year I did spot 2 large carp hanging out close to the reeds at the far end. Natural colouring, ie not orange.Never got back there to fish for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ Black Hooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 8:26pm
NZ Black Hooks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Guys can I please ask you to look at the posting I made in the Captain Morgans Briney bar re the New Zealand Black Hooks. I would like to hear from you as this is one of the species that is on the target list again in China!
Cheers
Karl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 2:03am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 8:42pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Northland is outside of the containment zone for Coarse Fish so anyone too post where there is a healthy population of Perch on here is potentially placing a death warrant on that Body of Water .
At one time the Northland Lakes were earmarked for Large Mouth Bass ,which considering 60 percent of New Zealands population lived north of Hamilton at the time,  it sounded like a good idea to give the boys something to fish for in the freshwater.
Unfortunatly it went down like a bucket of Vomit with the Trout Anglers and  Rotorua Lakes and Taupo ,were concerned it would draw tourists and local Anglers away from all they had set up to cater for Trout.
Not quite sure what happened but we now have empty lakes surrounded by such vegetation that people ca,nt get near them,and if theres any danger of someone wanting to fish in it they stock it with Grass Carp and put "No Fishing" signs up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 12:40am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

jeyaysus.. if I could get largemouth/smallmouth bass or pike into nz I wouldn't hesitate.. Trout is as much fun as a wet stick compared to those.

If I ever won lotto it would be a done deal.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 5:43pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone been chasing the winter Perch we have had a few good mornings lately with two fish over the 3lb mark this winter ,although I have heard a rumour there was a Biiiiiiiiiiig boy caught in Northland on the weekend still waiting for the photo proof though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote redoctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 4:33pm
redoctober View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

just spent 10 days fishing the lower north island looking for perch with no luck. too many issues with 'access', intimidation by locals etc. Without worring about the weather, seems a waste of money getting a winter licence when the fishery is so awkward.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lambchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 4:56pm
Lambchops View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can anybody help,iv heard there are pearch in the Whakamaru dam that can be caught by spinning of the shore.fact or fiction? Used to catch them in Lake Wairarapa years ago .am keen to give it ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 4:04pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, I can say for sure there is perch in Lakes karapiro,Arapuni,Atiamuri and Ohakuri.
Since Whakamaru is right between the last two it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

@ Atiamuri we catch them within yell of the boat ramp off moana ave.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lambchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:24pm
Lambchops View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that Wanda Ra,will sort out some black and gold tobys and give it a go.cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:44pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by redoctober redoctober wrote:

just spent 10 days fishing the lower north island looking for perch with no luck. too many issues with 'access', intimidation by locals etc. Without worring about the weather, seems a waste of money getting a winter licence when the fishery is so awkward.
Do you need a license to catch perch and carp? Are they not a pest.seen some carp in the puhinui stream.by the cemetery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 1:45pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Perch are listed as a sports fish so require a licence.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 1:50pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Perch are listed as a sports fish so require a licence.
thanks
Page  <1 2345>