Good speargun setup for scuba

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:24pm
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

id be keen to hear too!?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearfisher916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:04pm
spearfisher916 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use a 90cm pnuematic from time to time freediving and they have excellent power, accuracy and much tidier than a rubber gun. Prolly easier to load with BCD, gauges and crap in the way too. Mine is 25years old and going strong.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishBOY78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:47pm
FishBOY78 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Simple, if you want to spear fish for sport, do it freediving - if you are only interested in getting one for the table feel free to use scuba, its perfectly legal. I've done both. What gun you use depends on what you want to shoot. gun length 1m or less is easy to load and not so much of a hassle around the kelp when on scuba. Make sure you carry an easily accessable SHARP knife with you encase of entanglement
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:24pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've never spearfished on scuba, but I have done plenty of scuba diving in the past. I spearfish on snorkel because to be honest, I hate scuba diving now! All that gear is so uncomfortable! Good luck to those of you who do spear on scuba, but in my opinion, freediving is the way to go. The only exception would be if I was seriously into photography.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:50pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingihunter Kingihunter wrote:

.............Scuba diving with a speargun is not spearfishing
You drag up a two year old thread to say that?! 

Consider the fact that others have a life that is different than yours.

If guys want to spear on SCUBA then good for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seashepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:39pm
Seashepherd View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've done a bit of it. I normally hit my fish, then bounce back to the boat with it on the spear where my boatboy takes care of it. It's a good, clean way to get a feed, and considering that I've used trawls that are 100mtrs wide and 30mtrs deep at the mouth, still pretty sporting.Smile
procul piscaturam mox terga
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:19pm
Slicker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kinginhunter was just doing a bit of grave digging 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Recluse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 9:01am
Recluse View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That scuba spearo on coastwatch taking undersize red moki could use a lesson or two 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 8:58am
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Originally posted by Kingihunter Kingihunter wrote:

.............Scuba diving with a speargun is not spearfishing
You drag up a two year old thread to say that?! 

Consider the fact that others have a life that is different than yours.

If guys want to spear on SCUBA then good for them.

As long as they don't go out and buy a rebreather and start snapper snoopingLOL
(Or clean out the goldie spots before I can improve my depth to actually get to them)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:25am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Recluse Recluse wrote:

That scuba spearo on coastwatch taking undersize red moki could use a lesson or two 

lets face it,there are lunkhead idiots in every sport or recreational  activity. personally i would lump a guy like that in the same category as the idiots who went spotlighting and shot that poor teacher in the head in a campground.
Not by any means the same sort of crime but the same sort of idiot.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 8:47am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This reeks of eleitism.
Like the whole fly v bait trout fishing thang.
Cornholers to a man
Can anyone do a blind taste test on the following fish flesh catch styles of harvesting ?
Free dive,scuba,trawling,long line,illegal any means of harvest,rec line fishingt?
And tell which piece fo fish flesh is which?
Be tuff I bet?Taste wise all things being equal with th e above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JESUSFREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:06pm
JESUSFREAK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There is aTV show on prime about commercial spear fishing on scuba. Looks like it offers something different to freediving
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:49pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's an interesting one. I have no problem with it. First thought is that SCUBA would actually be a disadvantage for spooky fish like snapper re: noise/bubbles. Second thought is the shark thing.

Page  <12