Good speargun setup for scuba

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good speargun setup for scuba
    Posted: 30 May 2009 at 8:51am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As above.Many times whilst cray diving I have seen good table fish well within range of a speargun.Many spearos around the world use scuba.Any ideas on guns brands, length ect would be helpful.
Cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJnatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 8:33am
CJnatan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey mate, not many ppl encourage spearfishing on tanks in NZ eventhough its legal at this stage. As far as spearfishing for scuba goes... I think that any speargun will do... . Do you freestyle spearfishing as well?
Have you ever lent someone $20 and never seen that person again? It was probably worth it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 4:39pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi CJ.No mate,I don`t freedive.Too old,smoke,unfit.Plus I have all the scuba gears now.Can`t really afford to tool up and train for freediving.I`ve read plenty about the ethics of spearing on scuba v FD.Fish should taste the same to my family.Was planning on only using the gun in deepish low viz dive sites.Should not conflict with any FDers.Seldom see any FDers where I usually dive anyways.Web searchs are pointing me in the direction of a gun 100cm -80cm.6.5 dia shaft.Single rubber.Confused as to either getting a railgun,open or closed muzzel,Free-shafting,reel or standard 3x shaft length with mono.or tip type.Target fish would probaly be greenbone,porae,blue moki,perch,male parrot fish,octopus.Never see the clamour fish on air,apart from the curious Kingies.Not worth a rookie losing his gear or worse on those bigger KF.
Cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Narcosis_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 6:23pm
Narcosis_prince View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have a search for those pneumatic ones you can holster on your leg,  they are small but enough grunt for the odd green bone etc.
"Going down is a way of life"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJnatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 8:24am
CJnatan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am currently using 90cm attached to floatline, i guess if you are not targeting big kingfish you can easily use 90cm, single rubber with 65 shaft no problems. I think a railgun or a floatline will be risky on scuba tanks... You have higher chances of getting tangled with your line. You want to keep it simple... also watch out for these sharky, I dont think they often attack divers but if you carry fish close to your body, that can be a risk to you too. Where do you intend to dive?
Have you ever lent someone $20 and never seen that person again? It was probably worth it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 11:48am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I carry a Hand spear with me at all times now while on scuba.Only have the use of 1 1/2 lungs so cant free dive.Take some kina berley or similar and shake a tin of it around on the bottom and you will be surprised what turns up.Those who say spearing on scuba is no challenge,each to their own, and trying to stop being dragged around and up to the surface when you stupidly nail a kingfish hat is practically looking in your mask is quite a challenge in itself especially when only using a hand spear.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJnatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 1:07pm
CJnatan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think if you carry a proper speargun it might be really risky because if you nailed a big fish it can take you to different depths which can cause you real troubles... (if you run out of oxygen etc). Where do you normally go to? How deep do you dive(while one scuba or when you free dived)?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelly nelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 7:08pm
smelly nelly View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

why not just use a gun with a reel,most reels will hold a good 40mts of line,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJnatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 8:15am
CJnatan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

3rnzir is trying to make a setup for spearfishing on tanks... having a gun on a reel increasing the chances of getting tangled i believe. I would have tried keeping it simple if it was me... :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _Jimmy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 9:00am
_Jimmy_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

70cm reel gun.   Wild blue has one all set up at the moment, that i think they would do for a good price.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 9:24am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi men.Nice to here from others that spear on air tanks.I dive the Manukau Hbr mostly.Usaually dive in the 14-22 mtr mark.Belive a shorter gun is better moving thru kelp etc.Plenty of kina around to berly up with.You guys got any advice to improve ones accuracy wiyh the gun.I was thinking of flooding a few milk containers and setting them up over the sand.Any type of spear tip better for shooting around reefs.And what extra gear would you have on hand.IE shaft,rubber,trigger parts.See the odd shark down there.Just fake charging them seems to work OK.Will need to know more about this floatline fish stringing system.Not keen on a Bronzie dragging me around by my catch bag.Got a beauty fright one dive the Manukau.Struggling to extract bugs from a hole for a few minutes,then backed out turned my head and a good sized bronzie about 3 mtrs away was observing me.It just slowly moved away when we eyeballed each other.My bowels nearly moved as well.There are times that the crays are soft or are they are in berry or not around at all.Almost everytime I see table fish.Be a shame not to bring a feed home.It`s an expensive sport.Need to justify that expense.
Cheerz  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JRDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 5:46pm
JRDO View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go to a spearfishing store, they get scoobies often enough so will know what has worked for others
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 6:51pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quote - "Not keen on a Bronzie dragging me around by my catch bag."  Most likely it will be dragging you around by the leg or arm.Never keep fish on you.Have seen plenty of Great whites caught by commercial fishers to not want to have fish on me anytime let alone in a shark haven like the manukau.Ask at any spear fishing shop to learn about the floatline system.quite simple.Never had a bronzie in nz show much aggro when i have not had any fish around me,they can be curious though.  -When you berly up try this for laughs..maybe drop a berley pot from your boat with kina etc in it and have hooks and line off it,I often have one of these out while diving and get fish,all you have to do is iki them if the sharks dont hit them first.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 10:10pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My old man takes a small ??70 cm?? pneumatic gun in his catch bag and whacks the odd porae or JD for dinner.   It doesn't need a reel in NZ unless you start hitting kingies. Pneumatic guns do not have the rubbers and stuff so are a bit tidier to take in your cray bag than a rubber powered gun (although they need more maintenance).  The scuba shops mostly sell these guns from what I can see, althouh Wild Blue or Ocean Hunter or other spearfishing retailers might stock the odd pneumatic gun.

I reckon it's Ok to spear on scuba like that - for the table - as long as you limit your catch as most do.  Catching fish on a line takes no skill whatsoever and we don't spend all day telling fisho's they shouldn't do it, so I'm at a loss to explain the big anti scuba spearing feeling really.  I guess the risk is that scuba bunnies could wipe out a school of goldies, take too many reef fish in one area, or shoot a Queensland Groper or something out of ignorance,  but that is an education issue not a sporting one.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 2:26pm
Sea Wolf View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well said Reid. Totally agree with you.
In fact I'm sure it's the most sensible post I've read concerning spearing on scuba.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 7:06pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Agreed. A dead fish is a dead fish is a dead fish. Self righteous condemnation will get no-one nowhere
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:58pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agreed.

As a freediver/kayak fisherman I say you are as entitled to feed you whanau as anyone else.

Dead fish taste nice. I don't care how you gather them as long as you take only enough for your needs, stay within the rules and don't let any go to waste.

I have no experience spearing on scuba (only used UBA for recreational voyeuristic diving). Nor have I used a pneumatic gun but they sound good if you only want to use the spear occasionally (small and easy to carry around).

If you want to shoot a few fish each dive it would be worth considering a rubber band gun. They are simple, low maintenance, relatively cheap and reliable. No reel or floatline needed for general table fish, only for big snaps, kings and such. 90cm, 16mm rubber, mono shooting line is all that is required. For general table fish you do not need a slip tip, open muzzle, rail gun etc.

Where to keep the fish is the problem if in sharky waters. I've only had the odd problem with seals (wellington).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingihunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 5:49pm
Kingihunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There are NOT many Spearos use scuba!! Scuba diving with a speargun is not spearfishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:32pm
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good on ya for dredging this one up and commenting without reading (or appearing to read) the balanced discussion above.  Thumbs Up Ermm  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:33pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingihunter Kingihunter wrote:

There are NOT many Spearos use scuba!! Scuba diving with a speargun is not spearfishing

Please, do go on (without ranting like a lunatic,if possible) and explain how spearing fish with a spear/spear gun whilst diving is not classed as spear fishing. Id be delighted to know the imagined difference.  Big smile
Page  12>