AG Chain knot v Crimping

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AG Chain knot v Crimping
    Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 6:45pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi,just wondering which of the above,you guys favour most for joining leader to solid ring.
Also Knot sleeve versus thimbles too?
Was thinking of of becoming a bit of a crimper!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:08pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thimble and Uni Knot for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:14pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

agreed thimble and uni for me with nylon up to 180lb
above that or when using fluro I generally crimp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chopsticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:28pm
chopsticks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thimble and Uni or crimp if I want a bite section when there's couta about.

CONFIDENCE: The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Nsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:41pm
Nsane View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thimble and crimp for me.. almost coutta proof

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:52pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thimble? Can so one explain? Only thimble I know is for sewing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:05pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here you go Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tongan Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:07pm
Tongan Terror View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thimble and crimping for me from day one I think jiggers are becoming more aware of the fact that we need leader protection I think that even though I prefer to crimp as long as you are protecting the leader from the solid ring youll be swt.excuse the old rig she been idle for a whileCry
Dont get huge get massive
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingieslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:33pm
kingieslayer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Crimp and thimble for me as wellBig%20smile
woman love me fish fear me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 8:35pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I think that for most guys especially newbies, that thimble & crimp or thimble & knot are the most reliable and repeatable terminations.

Pony recommends the AG chain knot only for the hard fluorcarbon line, not for nylon.  Even then, the leader must have knot sleeve protection.   During my recent 3 Kings trip with Pony, the heaviest leader he used was ONLY 84lb flurocarbon!!  He used the red knot sleeve and Chain Knot and I never saw any breakages while he and his mates caught plenty of biggies too!  In fact the 84kg Bass on his iconic "Jigging in the Dayline" DVD was also caught using just 84lb FC!

The message to me is clear!  If you must use soft nylon mono, then use heavy leader & protect the leader with thimble or hard tubing.  The few reasons to use such heavy nylon is to preserve strenght at this critical knot or when jigging in tiger country.  If you want to use hard FC, then you can reduce leader strenght but use leader sleeve and tie the Chain Knot.  FC is well known for increased hits and now improved knot strenght.

You have to understand the huge pressures on the leader against the solid ring.  Soft nylon will stretch, deform and lose a lot of its strenght making it susceptible to breaking under pressure.  A harder FC leader just doesn't stretch! 

Every busted leader is another 30+kg Kingi about to die and this should never be taken lightly. 
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 12:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Is that a double crimp there Tongan?Thats what i was thinking of doing.
A lot of good feedback here.Thanks
so crimping is good for mono and flouro Then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 12:11am
Titanium
Titanium

Great info there Chris!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tongan Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 6:14am
Tongan Terror View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah mate double crimped adds a lot of protection ive had a shark knaw through one strand of the double but not both so I got my jig back also I just feel more comfortable strength wise with two crimps!!Yes crimp with both is fine and preferred by people who use fluoro as its hard totie up in a knot.
Dont get huge get massive
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 9:29am
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Uni to swivel.
Swivel negates need for a thimble.
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bunzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 4:49pm
Bunzo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use the tubing / 2 x crimp method, although I had a failure on a GT at Bugatti where two crimps pulled and I lost a good fish and a Orion Bigfoot stickbait [ouch], it was on 150lb mono with no fattened end, so had to be the crimpers fault, me Embarrassed.
Tested my others to 22kg and had a swivel pull through a 150lb Momoi XL single strand loop Shocked, that is a lot of drag but plastic tubing on them all from now on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 5:57pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Nirai Nirai wrote:

Uni to swivel.

Same here Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dragwasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 9:29pm
dragwasher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

Originally posted by Nirai Nirai wrote:

Uni to swivel.

Same here Thumbs%20Up

Ditto.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 11:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Nirai

Uni to swivel.

Does that apply with mono too? 4or 5 turn uni? I have some 100kg ball bearing swivels.That should do the job a?onto 150 pound mono leader.cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 12:02am
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty much spoilt for choice Thumbs%20Up
a)uni knot to a swivel for mono and flouro?
b)knot sleeve/tubing and  Ag chain knot for flouro
c)Crimp and knot sleeve for both mono and flouro
d)thimble and uni Knot
e)Thimble and crimp  or  double crimp for mono and flouro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 11:04am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you have any photos of the chain knot Chris just for my personal curiosity Embarrassed
Page  12>